Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Mechanical

Mechanical Discussion of mechanical matters

Old 6 Days Ago

Who are you getting to do your trans work poita ?
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Auto Trans in Hampstead Gardens. Had some very good feedback from people who have used them and they have been really honest and helpful in getting prices, suggestions and advice.
Bushskins intercooler/sump/transmission guards | Ironman awning | Rhino Pioneer tray | ARB dual battery tray | 100Ah aux battery | Grabber AT2 tyres | Wholesale Automatic TC lockup | 9" 185W LED Spotlights | GME TX3500 | DIY shelf | Evakool 75 dual zone fridge | AEM Boost and Transmission Temp gauges | 2" Ultimate Suspension lift | HPD catch can | ARB bullbar
Old 6 Days Ago

I still see a lot of pajeros around with that gearbox, so they cannot be that bad are they?. Seems to be bit of a lottery with them when buying secondhand. But that is secondhand cars all over I guess.
If you can't afford new and don't want a corolla, then you must take a punt. Hell at least it's not a new Merc, those things are rubbish by all the reports I have seen.
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBP View Post
I still see a lot of pajeros around with that gearbox, so they cannot be that bad are they?. Seems to be bit of a lottery with them when buying secondhand. But that is secondhand cars all over I guess.
If you can't afford new and don't want a corolla, then you must take a punt. Hell at least it's not a new Merc, those things are rubbish by all the reports I have seen.
Well Mitsi obviously realised their mistake, as the stopped using them in the NT onwards. The NM, NP and NS all used the Jatco box, which suffered from the pin failure issue. Before and after used the Aisin box which is a superior box. The Aisin box still seems prone to the pin failure, but appears to be a better box other than that.

I can afford the rebuild, it's just getting to that edge of how much do I sink into an older car before cutting my losses and upgrading... never an easy decision.
Bushskins intercooler/sump/transmission guards | Ironman awning | Rhino Pioneer tray | ARB dual battery tray | 100Ah aux battery | Grabber AT2 tyres | Wholesale Automatic TC lockup | 9" 185W LED Spotlights | GME TX3500 | DIY shelf | Evakool 75 dual zone fridge | AEM Boost and Transmission Temp gauges | 2" Ultimate Suspension lift | HPD catch can | ARB bullbar
Old 6 Days Ago

How much would it cost to have the pin problem fixed before it actually failed? A couple grand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty085 View Post
How much would it cost to have the pin problem fixed before it actually failed? A couple grand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably not.
Realistically you may want to do other things while in there and the odds are something will be worn enough to contemplate replacing it. I would look at it being a rebuild minus the gears. I know with mine if I get it looked at before failure I would upgrade a few things such as TC and valve body, there goes 2K straight away. Do the pins and whatever else is in need of tlc, 3K+ methinks. But then I am a pessimist, and I am not usually disappointed. At least then it would solid for the rest of the cars life.
Got to like older cars. At least it isn't an LC200. Read on another forum a replacement engine cost someone 32k to replace. Seems bit step but then it is Toyota.