• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PETERPJERO1
    • Nov 2014
    • arno bay

Fallout (check paint regularly)

Photo may not show it but paintwork on all upper surfaces is covered with a metalic fallout which has rusted and eaten into paint. Have tried a clay block, machine buffing with a good cutting compound but the only way I have been able to remove it is by wet rubbing with 800 paper which scuffs the paint as well. However with a cut and polish it looks ok as long as a painter doesnt look at it. I have no idea where the fallout has come from but for me and perhaps some others its a good reminder to inspect the paintwork regularly. It has been a major job and I will have to repaint the roof later which was the worst affected.

20170407_084256.jpg
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Peter

I had a new Subaru that also happened to within the first year of ownership.

My feeling was industrial fallout some where between factory and dealer delivery.

I just kept polishing roof and bonnet.

How old is your car?

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• hinsch
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Perth

If you park in a heavy industry area the paint work copes a hiding, I lived in Newcastle many years ago and your paintwork there got destroyed quickly from the fallout from the coal and associated industries
      NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• NFT5
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Canberra

Originally posted by PETERPJERO1 View Post
        but the only way I have been able to remove it is by wet rubbing with 800 paper which scuffs the paint as well. However with a cut and polish it looks ok as long as a painter doesnt look at it.
        800??!! Way too coarse, unless you plan to follow with 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000 and then buff.

The problem you have is usually referred to as "rail dust" - embedded particles of ferrous metal in your paint. My business is paint and I've been dealing with this for a long time. Clay bars help but don't always get the deeper particles out. What we used to do was soak the car in a salty water solution to get the particles to rust. Once they do that their hold on the paint is reduced and a clay bar and buff will usually clean them up.

Now there are special products which work better, and faster. Here's one example:
        WICS, the home of industrial and commercial cleaning supplies Perth, WA. Buy in bulk disinfectant, sanitisers, solvents, degreasers and more – Shop Now.

If used according to the directions it won't harm the paint, although a polish afterwards is necessary to restore protection. It's also effective in removing red dust, which is a bonus.
        Chris

Comment

• PETERPJERO1
          • Nov 2014
          • arno bay

Re Fallout

I didn't Know about the chemical treatment till last night when I was sourcing information about cause of fallout. Oxalic acid was mentioned as a cleaing solution. I had inquired with several panel shops about fixing it several weeks ago and they didn't seem to know about this procedure or they didn't mention it. The paint will have to do for the time being. After going over the body i have also found a number of dents and chips and some rust spots and some cracking in roof and tailgate, plus evidence of poor repairs after an accident. Its all a bit disappointing since its the most I have ever spent on purchasing a vehicle but I will have to make the best of it till I win x lotto. It was very difficult to remove all the flecks of rusted fallout and I hope Ive got it all. Thanks for the interest and the information from all.
          Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X