X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JosephP
    • Nov 2020
    • Perth

Reading with interest I noticed that My local TyrePower dealer was offering the Falken Wildpeaks AT3 265/65/18 at 4 for the price of 3. I rang the local store and they said it was $370 per tyre and If I wanted 5 I would have to pay for 4 @$370 = $1480. Doing some internet searching I found $249 was the lowest price for a 265/65/18 which is 5 x 249 $1245. So is the 4 for 3 deal a scam? Or are the online sellers the scam selling seconds?

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by JosephP View Post
      Reading with interest I noticed that My local TyrePower dealer was offering the Falken Wildpeaks AT3 265/65/18 at 4 for the price of 3. I rang the local store and they said it was $370 per tyre and If I wanted 5 I would have to pay for 4 @$370 = $1480. Doing some internet searching I found $249 was the lowest price for a 265/65/18 which is 5 x 249 $1245. So is the 4 for 3 deal a scam? Or are the online sellers the scam selling seconds?
      I do not think the tyres are seconds or it is a scam, different resellers will have a different purchase price from the distributors and also have a different expectation of profit margins.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• JohnFromPerth
        • Mar 2018
        • Western Australia

Avoid tyres with heavily ribbed sidewalls. They may look tough, but in my experience just serve to snag on sticks and stakes and guide them through the sidewall.
        Smooth sidewalls are best for avoiding sidewall damage off road.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

I do not think the tyres are seconds or it is a scam, different resellers will have a different purchase price from the distributors and also have a different expectation of profit margins.

OJ.
          This.

Does the $370 price include fitting and balancing? Does the $370 price include disposal of your old tyres?

How long have the online sellers been in business? Do they truly understand all their costs, and how much profit they may (or may not) be making? Do they have workshops with rent/mortgage payments, staff with holiday entitlements, vehicle hoists, tyre fitting & balancing equipment, wheel alignment equipment?

Does the $1245 include delivery?

Buy tyres from your friendly tyre store, and they need to provide warranty support. If one of the tyres won't balance, they need to take it back off the wheel and send it back for a replacement. Who pays for that if one of your $249 tyres won't balance?

When comparing prices, make sure you understand what's included in each price.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• dc80
            • Jan 2019
            • Perth

Originally posted by JosephP View Post
            As a point of reference I got a quote for 4 x 265/65/R18, $295 each in July 2019. With the 4 for 3 deal this came to $885. I asked for a quote for 5 and they advised I'd need to purchase the 5th at full price. This was at Ian Diffen City Discount Tyres, Osborne Park WA.
            2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• Marek
              • Sep 2010
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Thanks Marek,

Not sure if the website has changed or I missed the info when I did the post.
              Post changed to include theLT265/65R17.

OJ.
              Ah cool no worries. Just wanted to bring that up while it was topical.

Comment

• denisp
                • Dec 2018
                • Mt Eliza

We had BFG AT put on the Paj. sport from new.
                Had a good run with them in previous Prado.
                Daughter now has the Prado and tyres are still good after two years with her and us doing 40thousand before she got the car.
                Cannot see any wear of the ones fitted on the PS, but not put a depth gauge on them to check.
                We do have all five tyres rotated at annual service, which ensures all last longer.
                Would hate to have four worn tyres and a five year old brand new spare.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Sydney

So I settled on the Cooper AT3 LT, 265/65/18 and have just had them fitted. Could people who have the same size LT tyres on a PS, share your thoughts on tyre pressures for road use. Coopers provided a pamphlet that suggests to use the 6psi rule as a guide (as opposed to 4psi for passenger tyres) but I would like to know what pressures others have found to be suitable for ride and wear.
                  Thanks in anticipation.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Bladerunner99 View Post
                    So I settled on the Cooper AT3 LT, 265/65/18 and have just had them fitted. Could people who have the same size LT tyres on a PS, share your thoughts on tyre pressures for road use. Coopers provided a pamphlet that suggests to use the 6psi rule as a guide (as opposed to 4psi for passenger tyres) but I would like to know what pressures others have found to be suitable for ride and wear.
                    Thanks in anticipation.
                    Whilst I do not have a PS or AT3's or 265/65R18 size tyres, the correct pressure is based on the weight of the vehicle and the tyre construction and size. The stock PS when empty is slightly front end heavy, so when there are only front seat occupants and no load in the rear seat or cargo area, 32psi front and 30psi rear would be a reasonable starting point. With a load in the back seat and light load in the cargo area the 32psi front and rear. With a heavy load in the rear or towing with a high ball weight then 32psi front and 36psi rear. All pressures are set when the tyres are cold, the 6 psi guide is a good indication after the tyres have run for about 1/2 hour at highway speeds.

If you are happy with the comfort and handling at these pressures then run them for 5,000kms and then measure the tread depth across the width of all tyres. Do a 5 tyre rotation and check the wheel balance every 10,000kms and you will get the longest life out of your tyres.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Sydney

OJ, Thank you for your reply, I will try 32psi as a base and see how it goes with regards to the 6psi rule, when hot.

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

This was a good read from Coopers

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

I wouldn't say though Coopers are going out on a limb there, i notice quite conservative on the sand pressures, which is understandable from there situation.
                          They have stayed away from low pressure applications, understandable
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• scratchedpaj
                            • Jan 2021
                            • Blue Mountains

Hi,

Has anyone found a 17in rim that fits the PS nicely?

I have a set of Federal Muddies on 17 Gecko rims, but they needed to be slightly modified to clear the brakes.

Looking for another set, the prices and range of tyres in 17 is much better than 18in

Thanks,

Comment

• DID Dash
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Australia

I run PB Challenger OE 17” rims on my QE. They fit fine with same +38 offset. MQ Triton 17” alloys also fit. Can be found 2nd hand if you look around.
                              17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• Ines
                                • Feb 2021
                                • ACT

Originally posted by scratchedpaj View Post
                                Hi,

Has anyone found a 17in rim that fits the PS nicely?

I have a set of Federal Muddies on 17 Gecko rims, but they needed to be slightly modified to clear the brakes.

Looking for another set, the prices and range of tyres in 17 is much better than 18in

Thanks,
                                Hi,

I'm trying to source a similar set of 17s rims for a LT265/70R17 setup using Falken Wildpeaks. A local tyre shop can source alloy rims for around $210 each. In my case I'm trying to match the camper trailer to make everything interchangeable. The trailer runs LT265/70R17 and a hub ring will be necessary to achieve this.

Question for anyone who runs a 265/70R17; how do you find the fit in the spare wheel well/cavity of the PS, especially so if you have a towbar installed (and which tow bar).

At the moment our 2017 PS is blank slate, bar the ironman bull bar. I'm just trying to get this correct from the start before we head out with the kids later in the year.

All advice very much welcomed from this noob.
                                PS 2017 Exceed.

Full Bush skinz alloys. Dobinsons springs and shocks all round + 200kg constant load at back. 17" rims unified with camper + 265/70 wild peak tyres. Iron Man BB (too heavy), TJM snorkel, 120A Anderson socket to back to run ARB twin portable +camper. Homemade shelf in rear with seats removed.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X