• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • torana68
    • Mar 2014
    • near bredbo

winter diesel?

Guys,
    does anyone know if there are any requirements for servos to sell winter or Alpine diesel in certain areas in winter? Yes I've been caught out buying diesel in a cold area that froze and turned to vasceline. (tractor not my Pajero)......... servo concerned (Michelago) doesn't care as its not their problem as they don't advertise "winter" diesel.
  • FIS9076
    • Jun 2010
    • Western Sydney

I don't think its a specific requirement, but you are able to buy an additive separately I believe.

Comment

• bacon
      Banned
      • Feb 2015
      • Australia

Diesel will only start to wax at -15oC cant see it been a problem in Australia

Comment

• schnitzel
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Bendigo

Basically all deliveries in the regions that need winter mix start getting it from mid March and is gradually phased in till full strength winter mix is all that is delivered in these regions by mid April, come sept is reversed and winter mix additives are leaned out so that by end of sept summer mix is delivered. Note winter mix is NOT alpine mix that is different again and is what is required and delivered in the designated alpine zones.
        Most servos are not even aware they get winter mix, but anyone getting alpine will know as it is a special order.
        Winter mix can still drop out if it is exposed to too many sub zero days without being used and is a common problem in tractors parked in the open and only occasionally used.
        Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• torana68
          • Mar 2014
          • near bredbo

dunno about -15 but I do have an issue , perhaps the stuff they sold is well below par? you can see my issue
          edit: they have said they do not have "winter mix" at Michelago.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by torana68; 09-07-15, 09:22 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

I fill at that servo as well. I asked some time about it and the guy said he didn't know. I would expect it to be winter diesel, although the origin of the fuel could be from anywhere. The servo in question is United, and at times, I have wonderede about teh quality of the fuel, although I have had no problems as yet... I normally keep my Pajero inside the garage, but this week it has been out. Fortuinately it hasn't been that cold here - only down to -5. I did hear of a Toyota minibus crawling up some of the steeper hills around here because of fuel problems. If you hear more about Michalego and problems, please post it here so I can avoid the place.

There is a new Shell servo opened on the Southern side of Cooma. They are owned by Westoil and I suspect that they may be in the same boat re gelling of diesel. I find it hard to believe that the suppliers wouldn't get some winter mix for the colder areas, because they are likely to be in deep doggy doos if a few customers get stuck, yet in this day and age, anything is possible.

Comment

• torana68
              • Mar 2014
              • near bredbo

Originally posted by erad View Post
              I fill at that servo as well. I asked some time about it and the guy said he didn't know. I would expect it to be winter diesel,.................. .
              avoid it and its not "winter" , area manager said so, "investigations" said so, strikes me as stupid considering Caltex recommends Alpine for the area.
              Last edited by torana68; 09-07-15, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by torana68 View Post
                avoid it and its not "winter" , area manager said so, "investigations" said so, strikes me as stupid considering Caltex recommends Alpine for the area.

Thanks - I was wondering, now I am convinced. I had doubts about quality as well, although I have not noticed any significant differences in fuel consumption or performance between any of the brands I have used. I have installed a pre-filter, but you can get crap fuel anywhere, not just from United or other cheapies.

Incidentally, Canberra should be in a winter area as well. Does anyone know if they use winter diesel in Canberra?

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Gold Coast

Ah. Just another one of the benefits of owning a petrol fuelled Pajero. Don't have to guess or worry about gelling of fuel in the freezing cold. V6 just keeps on truckin'. Go the mighty NL.
                  99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• bush dweller
                    • Feb 2014
                    • seymour vic

Originally posted by bacon View Post
                    Diesel will only start to wax at -15oC cant see it been a problem in Australia
                    who ever told you that is fulla shit. we have 2 pumps trailer mounted under cover in mid vic when it drops to -3 there not pumpin

Comment

• schnitzel
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • Bendigo

Cooma is a designated alpine area so should automatically get alpine mix, presume michelago is but presume it is nearby but it may be just outside the alpine zone and only get winter mix. That photo is definetly waxing, you can buy an additive to put in yourself from most auto stores or s happens around Bendigo every year the farmers wrap their tanks in electric blankets and turn them on ( yes I'm serious) a few hours before they need the tractor to to get the wax to go back in to the diesel.
                      Last edited by schnitzel; 10-07-15, 07:36 PM.
                      Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• torana68
                        • Mar 2014
                        • near bredbo

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
                        Cooma is a designated alpine area so should automatically get alpine mix, presume michelago is but presume it is nearby but it may be just outside the alpine zone and only get winter mix. .
                        winter mix would be ok most of time , the dim wits at United don't even supply that.

Comment

• erad
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Cooma NSW

I have read in my Max Ellery manual (covers only up to the NS model, but it is at least the CRD engine) that there is a diesel pre-heater. The photos in that manual are virtually unreadable, so I cannot positively identify and pre-ueater cabling. I have looked around the filter area, but I can see no connectors which I would say are pre-heater plugs. Does anyone know if the NW at least has a pre-heater ?

Comment

• NFT5
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • Canberra

Originally posted by erad View Post
                            Thanks - I was wondering, now I am convinced. I had doubts about quality as well, although I have not noticed any significant differences in fuel consumption or performance between any of the brands I have used. I have installed a pre-filter, but you can get crap fuel anywhere, not just from United or other cheapies.

Incidentally, Canberra should be in a winter area as well. Does anyone know if they use winter diesel in Canberra?
                            Yes. Canberra gets the Alpine diesel throughout winter. The most cover my NW gets is a carport and I've never had a problem, in fact haven't even heard of a problem for years, except where summer fuel had been stored and then used in winter. I do tend to stick to the major brand sites, mainly Caltex, though.

Originally posted by bush dweller View Post
                            who ever told you that is fulla shit. we have 2 pumps trailer mounted under cover in mid vic when it drops to -3 there not pumpin
                            Exactly!
                            Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X