• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Possum
    • Apr 2013
    • Queensland Gold Coast

Gold Coast to Alice Springs via Pleanty H'way

Hi guys we're off on our first central Australian trip in 8 weeks from the Gold Coast via Longreach & the Plenty H'way to Alice Springs then the usual loop down to Ayres Rock then home via Oodnadatta, Marree, up the Birdsville track & a couple of days to get home. I'd appreciate any input as to where to go ( or not to go) apart from the obvious places for a first timer. Two cars going, my Paj with a Oz tent & my mate in a Triton towing a very basic camper trailer.
    Cheers Pete
    Last edited by Possum; 06-04-15, 12:24 AM.
    02 NM DID 3.2 GLX Auto, 2"lift, BFG all terrain tyres, cargo barrier, snorkel, bulbar, hella driving lights, diff breathers, dual battery, roof racks, h/duty steps, tow bar, TJM under body protection.
    UHF radio, rear storage with fridge slide, pack rack (home made)
  • conquistador
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • sth east queensland

Drop in off the plenty down the binns track close to alice springs to go through arltunga and some spectacular ranges. Track is easy and intersects with the stuart highway its then bitumen into alice.

Comment

• Carolyn
      • Jun 2013
      • Brisbane

We took a similar route to Central Australia from Brisbane in June/July last year. It was our first big trip and I was a bit concerned about the conditions we might meet on the Plenty. We rang the Urandangie pub from Mt Isa for a check on conditions. We were given the usual "drive to conditions" and that worked fine. We were towing a hired 4wd camper trailer and driving our 2011 Pajero. Neither missed a beat. The corrugations at the the western end were particularly bad for about the last hour. It is extraordinary how much the interior of the Paj can move and still be fine when you stop!

Comment

• Toddyh
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2013
        • Lalor Park, NSW

Did similar a couple of years back. See the details

Day 13 is the start of leaving from Birdsville towards the Plenty Hwy. Hopefully it's of interest and gives you some ideas.
        2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Possum
          • Apr 2013
          • Queensland Gold Coast

Thanks Toddyh & Carolyn for your input sorry for the delay its been one of those weeks. Anyway just replaced the rear shocks & I'm glad I did. Tried to upload pic of the shocks together but it didn't work. Compressed them both & only one came back out. Just a couple of weeks to go can't get here soon enough.
          02 NM DID 3.2 GLX Auto, 2"lift, BFG all terrain tyres, cargo barrier, snorkel, bulbar, hella driving lights, diff breathers, dual battery, roof racks, h/duty steps, tow bar, TJM under body protection.
          UHF radio, rear storage with fridge slide, pack rack (home made)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X