• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alliedog
    • Jan 2018
    • Melbourne

Buying advice 2011 NT Platinum

Hi folks, I'm looking at a second hand 2011 NT Platinum Pajero and just wanted to get some peoples thoughts on the car I'm looking at.

It's done 173K kms. Dealer is asking just shy of $21,000. It looks to be in pretty good nick, a few small chips etc as is expected for a 7 year old car. It has a cargo barrier installed which has big bolts sticking out at the attachment points (floor and rear window trim) which looks a little odd.. .but no biggie, as long as I can use anchor points for 2 car seats in the middle row.

I took it for a test drive today, it was quite pleasant to drive. I did notice after a few minutes and making a left turn, I began to notice what sounded like belt squeel, mostly disappeared when I took my foot of the accelerator, and occurred when I gave gentle acceleration. This squeeling noise went away after 5 minutes of so.

I checked the service book, which was excellent up to 90k, where it ends. The original name in the service book is different to the name who the dealer bought it from. I assumed the car was sold and the second owner didn't get the book done... or service it

I had a look under the car and it looked pretty clean.

I'm not very knowledgeable with cars, so I could have easily overlooked things.
    How concerned should I be about the incomplete service manual? I thought I'd get it inspected if I was to go ahead with it.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

The belt squeal could be from when they cleaned the engine bay, often dealers spray silicon dress up liquid throughout to make it shine and some coukd have got onto the belts which then rubbed off.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Alliedog View Post
      I'm not very knowledgeable with cars, so I could have easily overlooked things.
      How concerned should I be about the incomplete service manual?
      I would be very concerned and careful.

There are LOTS of NT Pajeros for sale - not worth the risk, I’d move onto another one with a service history.

ps don’t take the dealer’s word for it - in my experience dealers are focused purely on making a sale and I have caught multiple dealers out telling ‘mis-truths’ trying to sell a car. If it’s not in the log book, you have to assume it didn’t happen.
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Nab
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Perth

Go with your gut. Sounds like you are already second guessing. As above there are heaps around, unless you’re in a rush have a look at a few more.
        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Hill
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Adelaide

No service history.
          Keep looking
          200 Series
          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• hardie
            • Jul 2010
            • Mandurah WA

Agree no service history is a really bad sign. Services are critical on these vehicles.

Comment

• Alliedog
              • Jan 2018
              • Melbourne

Thanks for the advice guys.
              I am under time constraints to a degree, but yeah, the lack of service history wasn't sitting all that well with me. I'll keep hunting.
              Seen a couple of similar vehicles which I'll look at. Also looking at an older petrol Prado *ducks*.

Comment

• Alliedog
                • Jan 2018
                • Melbourne

I am under time constraints to a degree, but yeah, the lack of service history wasn't sitting all that well with me. I'll keep hunting.
                Seen a couple of similar vehicles which I'll look at. Also looking at an older petrol Prado *ducks*.

Comment

• wazznt
                  • May 2015
                  • Western Vic

Originally posted by Alliedog View Post
                  I am under time constraints to a degree, but yeah, the lack of service history wasn't sitting all that well with me. I'll keep hunting..
                  On the other hand there are plenty of threads with dealers charging for work not even done , so where does that leave the service book and those that choose to rely on it ?.
                  NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• Alliedog
                    • Jan 2018
                    • Melbourne

That's a fair point, though I guess if it has the books, you can (hopefully) assure the basics such as oil change were done. As opposed to one with no books and potentially no service done whatsoever.

There cannot be any certainties I suppose when it comes to a second hand vehicle.
                    Anyway I've spotted a nice looking 2012 NW Platinum which I'll check out hopefully next week. It's got 250k km's, but I've read the 3.2 diesel in the Pajero's should have plenty of life left in it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X