• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Sensitivity to different tyres

Just wondering how sensitive the Pajero is to different tyres. Same size, just different brand and hence tread pattern. Say the 4 being used are Cooper LT ST Maxx and the spare is a Bridgestone LT 697. If I use the spare so that I now have 3 Coopers and 1 Bridgey on the go, will this raise an objection from the electronic control gizmos so that an error code is thrown and perhaps the vehicle goes into limp mode? Or, even if the spare is a Coopers but has way less tread than the others, will this cause a problem if the spare is put on? If there are problems is it more likely on the front or rear axle?

Thanks in advance to the tyre gurus.

Phil
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

i have a brand new bfg spare and at least half worn main tyres.I am rotating the tyres to try and get the spare down to the others.I have had no warnings so far
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

I put the spare on after the other tyres had done about 30k with no issues. That was the original factory set.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

I have a new one on the RH rear now of a differing type - that story is coming up i can notice no difference.

You should only get error asc codes due to diameter difference, not tread type. However, I cant tell you what the parameter for tyre diameter difference is to make this happen.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• pharb
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Tyers,Vic

Had Territorys for work cars for a while. TDI V6, 6 speed auto.

Auto very smooth and relatively high geared. Other work cars were Commodore SV6 wagons. Regularly swapping cars meant it took a while to realise one of the Territorys was not quite right. Not always changing into top gear or locking torque convertor. Dealer struggled to find cause.

As it turned out one work colleague had had a puncture at some stage. Took it to his closest tyre man who declared the tyre unrepairable, and put a cheapy on the rim to be used as a spare.

A little later another work colleague had another puncture, put spare on, then went on holidays. I picked car up from his house without realising it had an odd branded tyre on. Same size, specs, rating etc, just different brand.

Put a new tyre of same make and model as other 3 tyres and problem went away.

I measured static circumference of tyres and found hardly any difference. The issue must of been generated through a different circumference once loaded up. Different tyre pressures might of rectified it, but we just replaced tyre.
          PCOV Member 1107.
          Daily driver NX GLX
          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X