• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maximage
    • Mar 2013
    • Darch, Perth, WA

Diesel pre filter

What are people's thoughts? Just picked up a new Paj so haven't delved under the hood yet. Anyone run a diesel pre-filter? Thinking something like this:

SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

I think if you are considering doing some outback touring where you might run into some contaminated fuel, a pre-filter would be advisable. The Pajero has just one diesel filter and for normal touring where fuel is available from everyday service stations, it seems to do a good job.

Some of the blokes on here have installed a second filter and I think if I every venture to the outback I will be doing the same thing.

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Maximage
      • Mar 2013
      • Darch, Perth, WA

That was exactly my thinking. First personal diesel, have had work ones that I can go down south in etc, but never strayed too far from the main. My old man has had a couple of doses of bad diesel over the years, so thats what made me think about it. Might just go for it.
      SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• dappers666
        • Sep 2012
        • WA

The NW has 2 fuel filters one under the hood the other in the tank. The one under the hood will alarm with contaminated fuel and you are able to drain change filter and prime the fuel system.
        I know this because I bought a spare fuel filter today. And was educated by the survice manager at the dealer.

Dappers

Comment

• Goodsy
          Who ya gunna call....
          • Dec 2010
          • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by dappers666 View Post
          The NW has 2 fuel filters one under the hood the other in the tank. The one under the hood will alarm with contaminated fuel and you are able to drain change filter and prime the fuel system.
          I know this because I bought a spare fuel filter today. And was educated by the survice manager at the dealer.

Dappers
          Will only alarm if there is water present and often when that filter light comes on it's to late. I'm assuming it's still only a float switch?
          Does nothing for crappy diesel.
          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Maximage View Post
            What are people's thoughts? Just picked up a new Paj so haven't delved under the hood yet. Anyone run a diesel pre-filter? Thinking something like this:

http://catalogues.repco.com.au/offer...urce=catalogue
            The Donaldson prefilter kits can be bought for half the Repco Fuel-Manager price, plus it includes spare filter;
            Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
            "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

I might be being a bit over cautious here, but if you go on the Donaldson website you can ask them which filter they recommend for your vehicle. You don't want to put something in that will restrict the fuel flow too much etc.

When I installed my snorkel I had ideas of doing away with the MM airbox and installing a Donaldson air filter - would have been great except the one big enough to service the 4M41 motor would not fit in the engine bay. The ones advertised on e-bay would not have been suitable.

Cheers

Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                I might be being a bit over cautious here, but if you go on the Donaldson website you can ask them which filter they recommend for your vehicle. You don't want to put something in that will restrict the fuel flow too much etc.

When I installed my snorkel I had ideas of doing away with the MM airbox and installing a Donaldson air filter - would have been great except the one big enough to service the 4M41 motor would not fit in the engine bay. The ones advertised on e-bay would not have been suitable.

Cheers

Geoff
                The Donaldson pre-filters are supposed to be free-flowing & only trap large particulates & water, but I'm sure Donaldson-Filters, or Simon from Wagga Tractor will answer any queries.
                As for the Donaldson air-filters boxes, could they be larger due to them having a centrifugal-separator built-in?
                Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• GHendo
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                  As for the Donaldson air-filters boxes, could they be larger due to them having a centrifugal-separator built-in?
                  You are probably right Steve.

They are big and round and bloody expensive, but I would imagine very good quality.

Geoff

Comment

• Goodsy
                    Who ya gunna call....
                    • Dec 2010
                    • Hervey Bay

My setup.

Researched filter a lot. High flow water trapper. Also now have a piece from a fergy tractor on my PJ.
                    I broke my glass section and the tractor sight glass was the cheapest. From Wagga.
                    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• GHendo
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                      Also now have a piece from a fergy tractor on my PJ.
                      I broke my glass section and the tractor sight glass was the cheapest.
                      Does it give you any better traction ?

Geoff

Comment

• netwrk
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Brisbane

If the stock filter is not up to the task is it better to go after filter?

Comment

• Goodsy
                          Who ya gunna call....
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Hervey Bay

It's not an up to the task thing. The stock filter is fine. The extra filer is a water catcher and more visable to the crap the filter has caught.

I've changed many a fuel filter and was quite alarmed at the amount of stuff sitting at the bottom of the filter. Normal mind you.

Extra filter is just extra insurance. Quick look at the glass bowl and you know you're right to go.
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• justcruizin
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Brisbane

Goodsy,

Can you provide some details on where you got your set up from, cost, ease of fitting etc.

Want to do the same but dont know where to start.

Thanks.
                            08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

• Dirttracker
                              • Apr 2010

This is interesting. I have a very cluttered engine bay now - dual batteries, DC-DC charger, Chipit...
                              Has anyone mounted their filter in places apart from next the original? Mine won't fit and it is above the start battery.
                              Martin
                              Regards
                              Dirttracker
                              (Martin)
                              2010 NT Activ with stuff.
                              Replacement for '05 Prado Stolen with way too much stuff, sniff, sniff...
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/mpnaylor
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUUsFRRQ1hM

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X