• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by jol View Post
    The BM12 has a digital meter on it, but thanks, yes that's really what I was asking - do you just keep an eye on the voltage, of course the question is load or no load, I think the fridge pulls it down 0.2/0.3v from memory (could be wrong).

And then there's

what to do, what to do......
    mate IF YOUR STRAPPED FOR CASH BUY THE giant AND SEE HOW IT GOES. if YOUR FINANCIAL AND CAN AFFORD A full-river WHY WOULDN'T YOU? whatever YOU BUY DO YOURSELF AND THE BATTERY A FAVOUR AND LOOK AFTER IT. don't JUST USE IT FOR A WEEKEND AND THEN PUT IT AWAY FOR 6 MONTHS EXPECTING ALL TO BE GOOD. trickle CHARGE, RECHARGE ASAP AFTER A WEEKEND AWAY AND USE A QUALITY 240v CHARGER TO BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO IT.

12.2 whilst loaded with fridges/lights whatever. Occasionally you could take it down to 12.0 (40-50%) and it really wont hurt too much...just recharge asap when you can. Consider solar panel as well..a very worthwhile investment.

Sorry about caps..couldnt be bothered changing..
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• jkwpajero
      • Jun 2008
      • Young, NSW

Some not so good comments on Giant Power here https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2620499
      There is a lot of "He said-she said" going on in that link and as no one knows the real truth, I wouldn't take anything from it. Forums are full of this type of thing all the time and it's to easy to stitch up ANY company on the www now days. Just saying. I stand by my earlier comments that I haven't had any problems with the Giant brand solar panels I purchased from Aussie Batteries and Solar. I do find myself agreeing with Dicko in that if the $$$ are available a known battery would be preferable. If not then do as much homework on the chosen brand you can.

James
      2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

The cut out on my Engel BM12 is 11.5v which strikes me a maybe a bit too low. What do most people do? or do you keep a mental note of how much power you think you've used (knowing for example how much your solar panel is probably putting in) and just keep an eye on the voltage.
        The 11.5V cut out will occur when under load, you should find the battery then recovers to a voltage close to 12.0 at rest.

Now, whether that is enough to start a vehicle from is another question (if you are using it as starting protection without a dual battery installed)

Trying to make mental notes on how much power you have drawn and how much you have put in without something to log all that is fraught with danger. Just keep an eye on the voltage....It's too easy. At 12.0V you are at 50% SOC and really need to be getting some charge back in if you don't wish to over discharge it. Some say you can discharge to 20%. True, but the more time it spends this low, the shorter its lifespan. So a simple rule to remember - 12.0V = time to recharge (if not beforehand)
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• johndavis125262
          • Apr 2013
          • brisbane

I have a giant 105 ah if anything wished it was a bigger like 120ah or little higher you can never have to much power my 105 been running 3 years no problem just wished it was bigger and I have 130 w solar on roof fridge running 2 degree 24/7 regards john

Comment

• jol
            • Jul 2007
            • Sydney, Australia

Thanks for all the advice guys - very helpful, I ended up with paralysis by analysis, so I just bought a Fullriver 105Ah and got myself a watt meter https://www.jaycar.com.au/200a-dc-po...ctors/p/MS6192.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Thanks for all the advice guys - very helpful, I ended up with paralysis by analysis, so I just bought a Fullriver 105Ah and got myself a watt meter https://www.jaycar.com.au/200a-dc-po...ctors/p/MS6192.

Good way to extend the life is to recharge it with a quality 240 volt charger once you get home. I also have a 40watt solar panel that I trickle charge my batteries with. You,ll be happy with the Fullriver...quality component.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• denmonkey
                • Oct 2017
                • Newcastle NSW

bit late now but have a Giant 125ah in the car running a fridge full time with solar and alt power with no issues.

I also have a 130ah in the caravan but it's only been 6 months or so on light duty but no issues there either.
                also have a couple of friends who are using them in the caravans for around the 12 month mark, no failures thus far.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X