• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

MY16 Challenger

Thought I would start this thread, hopefully it will become a "sticky" so we can put bits of info about what is likely to be included in the new Challenger.

From the new Triton info, details of the new engine that we may see;

New 4N15 2.4 Diesel

Locally, the 2015 Triton will launch exclusively with the 2.4 litre diesel, which boasts a low compression ratio of 15.5:1 - a key factor in the use of an aluminium cylinder block.

A variable-geometry turbocharger is featured, matched to Mitsubishi’s MIVEC valve timing and lift control system.

The new engine is also lighter than the previous model’s 4D56 diesel option, contributing to an overall 20 percent improvement in fuel consumption.

The new ‘MIVEC Clean Diesel’-badged engine’s figures see 133kW available at 3500rpm, while peak torque (430Nm) is available at 2500rpm.

Importantly, Mitsubishi says the new engine’s design focuses on reduced maintenance costs, thanks in large part to the use of a timing chain that needn’t ever be replaced, and longer intervals between engine coolant changes, valve clearance and other inspections.

New six-speed manual and five-speed auto transmissions will feature with the new engine, with the auto also equipped with Sport Mode shifting.

The new manual boasts triple-cone high-capacity synchromesh in first, second and third gears, along with a new pedal-force transmission cylinder.

For the new ‘Sport Mode’ auto, there’s higher torque capacity and a revised gate-type shift pattern.

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

Let's hope the don't this one up with head and auto gearbox problems too.
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011

4N15
      Specifications
      Engine type Inline 4-cylinder, DOHC 16v, MIVEC
      Displacement 2.4 L (2442 cc)
      Bore 86 mm
      Stroke 105.1 mm
      Compression ratio 15,5 : 1
      Turbocharger variable geometry turbocharger / variable diffuser, intercooler
      Fuel system Common rail with piezo injectors
      Peak power 133 kW (181 PS) at 3500 rpm
      Peak torque 430 N·m (317 lb·ft) at 2500 rpm

The location of the alternator worries me!

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• fester
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        New 4N15 2.4 Diesel
        Well that 100% seals it for me. The PB will be my first and last Challenger.

Comment

• 02-SR5
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2010
          • Toowoomba

Originally posted by fester View Post
          Well that 100% seals it for me. The PB will be my first and last Challenger.
          X2. Either be a FJ Cruiser or 200 Hunjy series next.
          MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Maximage
            • Mar 2013
            • Darch, Perth, WA

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
            X2. Either be a FJ Cruiser or 200 Hunjy series next.
            200 Series has a low down alternator too ... silly location.
            SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• fester
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Maximage View Post
              200 Series has a low down alternator too ... silly location.
              Yeah but I can forgive far more things on a 4.5 litre V8 than I can on a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder. I don't care how well hung (alternator etc) the new 2.4 is I said I'd never go below 3.0 litres and made an exception for the PB but never again.

The 200 is still too dear for me unless I can convince the wife to go second hand (I would in a flash) so looks like I'll be hanging my hopes on the Pajero or Everest to hold capacity. I'd even take a 76 Series with leaf rear end over the new 2.4 Challenger.

Comment

• Sneddy
                • Aug 2014
                • Sydney

I'm not looking to upgrade but simply given the styling of the 2015 Triton - given how similar the Challengers have been in the past I think I'd have to give it a miss.

You'd think with the rise of Hyundai, Kia, or the Ford Ranger in sales in recent years Mitsubishi might put a little more emphasis on making their cars aesthetically appealing.

The new model looks like a dragon sneezed over the front of a PC.

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

Nice to see the high maintenance cost has sunk in. The return of the chain! Depending on gearing a six speed manual is a good thing.

My bus is a keeper for quite a few years. Despite grumbles not much out there that inspires. 4x4 are either going way too big or soft.

With all the restrictions coming in my next 4x4 will have to have air suspension but it will not be a Jeep unless they suddenly decide to improve their act. Still that decision is many years off.
                  Last edited by Ent; 20-11-14, 07:29 PM.
                  2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Yes mine is a keeper until 2018/19 unless I have issues with reliability. After 3 years I still enjoy driving it in the burbs, touring and off road.

I would never buy a Gen 1 of a new model of ANY 4wd, I like to see some local history first. At my current rate of kms mine should be sub 200K.

Who knows what else will be available by then, Gen 2 Ford Everest, Gen 2 Mu-X or something else. Chances are my requirements and wishes may even change by then so I will keep an open mind.

cheers, old Jack.

PS, Happy 1900th posts, OJ!

Comment

• Cory
                      • Jun 2008

I have a 2010 with 90k on it, and am looking to replace it in the next 6 months or so. After seeing the Triton, I can see what the next Challenger will probably look like, and it not nice. After owing mitsubishi 4wds since 1985 - first was a swb pajero in 85, and another 7 since then, last one was an NS, and then this Challenger, and never any problems in any of them...if what I see is anything to go by - it will be a Ford Everest for me ... After being such a loyal mitsubishi customer as well.

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

I just went and had a look at the Triton. Not sure what all the styling hoohaa is about, just looks like bigger restyle than the PC was. PC should have been a PBII and this one could easily just be the PC. Don't love the styling but it doesn't bother me either I'd buy one on styling and interior looks fine. Don't like the car like taillights on a ute but will be fine on the wagon. Just can't go past the engine size.

Did notice though that you guys appear to be also loosing the traditional transfer case shifter which means one more leap into the total reliance on electronics.

Comment

• Ent
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Tasmania

The Ford Everest with 225mm ground clearance plus 3.2 diesel and six speed auto will be the one to watch but get ready for a big price tag depending how the marketing "experts" position it. Would not surprise me if it is priced at the Toyota 76 series or Prado been a "premium" vehicle. This will leave enough of the market for the Challenger to sneak in but will put the thumb screws on the Pajero and any vehicle aiming for a premium.

So likely the Challenger will still be the bargain base 4wd. O'well, nothing wrong with that.
                          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• PC Challenger
                            • May 2014
                            • Earth

Love it how people complain about the minimum power. Did they think they were buying a sport car?

I have both sides of the scale. A car ive built for the track, and a work van that has 62kws at 2.6 tone.

For how much we paid. I couldnt expect any more!
                            Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• Tone13
                              • May 2014
                              • Victoria

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                              I have a 2010 with 90k on it, and am looking to replace it in the next 6 months or so. After seeing the Triton, I can see what the next Challenger will probably look like, and it not nice. After owing mitsubishi 4wds since 1985 - first was a swb pajero in 85, and another 7 since then, last one was an NS, and then this Challenger, and never any problems in any of them...if what I see is anything to go by - it will be a Ford Everest for me ... After being such a loyal mitsubishi customer as well.
                              I really don't think the Everest will be priced any where near the next Challenger when comparing similar spec.

Styling wise, I don't like the grill of the new triton but that is easily changed and will be changed by Mitsubishi themselves in facelift models. If the Challenger stays at a similar price point, I'll be sticking with them. i recently drove an Outlander for a day and was impressed by the build quality so if the Challenger is anything like that I'll be happy. Saying that, the Outlander had 5000km on the clock and the AC didn't work on a recent 34C day on the Gold Coast.
                              2012 Challenger XLS (Blue), Factory Nudge Bar, Full Length Bushskinz, OzTec Outback Shocks with Kings Springs (+50mm), Bridgestone Dueller LT697 A/T's, Rhino Aero bars.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X