X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NTpadge
    • Oct 2011
    • Northern territory

the Buick v6 makes 165kw from memory.... which is the vn motor... i have driven some vs commodores with light mods like extractors, CAI etc that go better than the v8 versions.....
    damn you hilux surf DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLL

Comment

• convict
      • Aug 2009

The little know but best suited V8 to slap into a Pajero is the 318/904 Valiant motor. Fuel Injection kits are easy to find and they go harder then the holden slopperdore Gen3's. Installing them is easyer then piss farting around with holden kits.
      Also the all alloy rover V8 blocks are nicer but i have never seen one in a Pajero only a Sigma and Scorpion.
      2011 GLX Triton Auto

Comment

• NTpadge
        • Oct 2011
        • Northern territory

I just couldn't bring myself to throwing in any rover gear... My morals wouldn't allow it. Last time I touched a rover v8 was to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets, it became extremely expensive and time consuming as I had to helicoil all but 2 of the threads because they stripped when undoing. Last time I so much as look at a rover v8. Peice of playdough for a block!

Comment

• smccask
          • May 2008
          • Perth

Thanks for the link Donald, some helpful info in there.. the L67 is tempting, but i think the fuel economy of the supercharged motor would be pretty disgusting, especially for highway towing.

Convict, what makes the 318/904 valiant motor ideal for a Paj? i haven't come across this one. Does it mate up to the paj gearbox or something? I'm interested!

My old man has a spare 4.4 Leyland that he is willing to donate to the project, so that will reduce costs of a v8 conversion. I have measured it up and considered the facts, and i think the lack of simple adaption options, the extra length of the leyland v8 (water pump, dizzy and pulleys up front), as well as the fact that i'd have to go straight LPG for licensing, count this one out against the LS1.

Costs wise, Walliston wreckers can supply a 110,000km motor from a VY SS, auto box, motor, all ancilliaries, loom and ECU, airbox for $3500. Otherwise i can spend some time at Pickles auctions and possibly get a whole car for about that, then i can part the rest out to make it cheaper again. marks adaptor kit is $1200. Radiator will need to be custom - not sure how much this is yet, but i'm guessing $1000 (i coudl maybe find or make something to fit 2nd hand). Other bits and pieces, $1000. makes ~$6700 all up. I saw a licenced NH paj in the paper the other day for $600 with a blown motor (auto V6). i could buy something like that, put my overhauled V6 and auto and new radiator in that, drive that around while i do the V8 in my paj, and then sell that on for $3k to $4k. that makes the engine conversion ~$3.3k to $4.3k - which is cheap for a lot of fun building and a hell of a lot of fun driving.
          - Simon
          NS Pajero GLX LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
          RIP NH Pajero GLS LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion

Comment

• NTpadge
            • Oct 2011
            • Northern territory

You will run into problems with wiring. Which will raise the cost. Exhaust modifications.. Fuel pump upgrade etc.. Its mainly the small stuff that ends up blowing it over budget.. It sounds like a good plan though, I'd love to drive a 5.7 paj!

Comment

• convict
              • Aug 2009

Well Mitsubishi brought out Chrysler here in Aus, And we seen Chrysler scorpions and L200 (triton) utes before they were relabel. Both will fit a 318 V8 - They will also fit a 6G72. So they should go straight with a gearbox, However you would have to do mods - what mods i don't know for sure.
              Mitsubishi's only V8 8A80, a 4.5 L DOHC can be sorted from a jap importer (used in Dignity & Proudia cars) - But get this there made with a aluminium-block and head!!! I believe its 10kg lighter then the V6. Mitsubishi had one in its mock up V8 Supercar rear wheel drive Magna years back.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by convict; 20-03-12, 11:25 AM.
              2011 GLX Triton Auto

Comment

• stigmata
                • Jun 2011
                • SA

Go the LS1 mate! They are an awesome motor, cant reccomend them highly enough. I think it would be an ideal conversion for the paj. Let me know if you need a hand with anything, would be more than happy to help out where I can. We do quite a few LS1 conversions at work, including turbo charging them aswell Just look at my avatar,750hp with stock internals

Kind regards Jon
                Last edited by stigmata; 20-03-12, 10:19 PM. Reason: adding comment
                02 NM 3.5 Exceed 5sp Auto, EFS 2" lift, K&N Panel, Safari Snorkel, MT 117 muds,FYRLYT 150W spots, Engel 60L, coming soon Garrett GT35/82R

Comment

• smccask
                  • May 2008
                  • Perth

Scored a vy2 ls1 and a 4L65 HD auto yesterday it's going to be a tight fit! I managed to get a 270kw hsv avalanche donk - apparently they have a cam tuned for more low end. The box apparently has a 3.06 first gear, so that should improve engine braked decents. I can't believe how plentiful and cheap these ls1s are!
                  - Simon

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • Maitland, NSW

You're as mad as a cut snake m8 hahaha
                    Cant wait to see it come together, those motors go hard!!!

Not sure how the driveline is gonna handle all that power but im sure you'll find a way around it
                    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• lewis84
                      • May 2010
                      • NSW

I've read the driveline is strong, with a bigger front diff than a solid axle hilux! Weak points are the cvs and rear axles, I'd love to here it on a gnarly hill climb, would sound sexy!!!!!!
                      94 NJ, MODS: Auto conversion, 1/4 chop, custom front and rear bar, 2" lift, 33x12.5" hankooks, rear sway bar removed, HID headlights, HID nite stalker 200's, rear LED work lights, red arc dual battery system, tekonsha primus brake controller, UHF, gps running ozi explorer and hema maps, suspension seats, power windows, DVD players, rhino racks holding shovel, high lift, awning, PVC rod holder and alloy basket

Comment

• 3.8 paj
                        • Apr 2012
                        • nambour

Nice, I often have toyed with the idea of pulling out my l67 and putting an ls1 in instead. The fuel economy would be much the same, its the extra 100hp that would be nice.

I doubt it will be a tight fit, there will be cutting of the radiator support, but nothing too extreme.

Use a vn - vs v8 radiator, the vt - vx radiator is 100mm too wide, but the vs one is a perfect fit.

Good luck with that marks adaptor kit, I broke my first Marks adaptors output shaft last week after 1 year of driving. I look forward to breaking another one soon.....
                        Get a decent shaft made now, and dont buy the $400 Marks one and you will save yourself some hassel/ $$$ in the future.
                        Nh shorty gls, supercharged 3.8, 10 psi pulley, custom snorkel, custom fuel tank, bosch 040, front and rear lockers, rancho 9000's, custom rear shock mounts, 33" maxxis bighorn, 1" body lift, king 40mm lift springs, nj 9.5" rear diff 4.636 ratio's, custom cargo barrier + shelf system, 2 pack floor no carpet. now with new panels, new paint and new tyres, looking mint!

Comment

• Emu
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Lake Eildon

Cool as hell.
                          Looking forward to following this build!
                          NJ Escape GLX, 3.5 DOHC
                          Alloy bullbar, Narva spotties, GME-TX3500 UHF
                          NL GLS seats and centre console
                          JVC stereo, alpine fronts, pioneer 6x9 rears
                          Moon roof

Comment

• smccask
                            • May 2008
                            • Perth

I was contemplating making the adaptor myself from steel plate, then getting someone to throughbore and face the flanges on a mill. Then get WA Gears to mod my op shaft, and get it case hardened. 3.8 paj, did you use a manual tx case with 24t spline? Apparently the 23t auto tx case has much bigger 31mm input spline. Any chance you could take some measurements of shaft and adaptor and some good pics for me? I'll check out the early bommodore rad, thanks - it'll have to go in front of the current air con condenser position. I pick the motor and box up on tuesday
                            - Simon

Comment

• 3.8 paj
                              • Apr 2012
                              • nambour

My shaft is the 24 tooth manual one, not sure what you mean about the 31 splines?
                              Definately use an auto transfer case though, as the manual one has an extra neutral position between low range, sometimes i have to shut the car off to put it in low range. i was unaware of this when i did the conversion.

I think that it is a great idea to make your own plate and shaft, as the marks kit allows a few inches of unused space between the firewall and motor, with the v8 it would be handy if you could use this space in front of the engine.

I toyed with the idea at the time, but decided to buy the kit as to make just one it was probably not worth it.
                              In hindsight I wish i made it, i would not have broken then!

I have more detailed photos here http://www.performanceforums.com/for...php?t=67259036

I Will gladly take any measurement you would like.
                              Nh shorty gls, supercharged 3.8, 10 psi pulley, custom snorkel, custom fuel tank, bosch 040, front and rear lockers, rancho 9000's, custom rear shock mounts, 33" maxxis bighorn, 1" body lift, king 40mm lift springs, nj 9.5" rear diff 4.636 ratio's, custom cargo barrier + shelf system, 2 pack floor no carpet. now with new panels, new paint and new tyres, looking mint!

Comment

• smccask
                                • May 2008
                                • Perth

I haven't seen a manual tx input spline, but apparently they are 24 tooth, but overall diameter much smaller than the auto. The auto tx has input spline 23tooth, but approx 31mm overall diameter. Possibly yours broke due to the inherently weaker, smaller diameter shaft? If you could measure the spline overal diameter, and also the total length of the marks auto shaft, that'd be a start for me. Maybe I will make up a cad file for you to mark measurements on? I suspect that the marks housing length is chosen due to the holden output shaft having a larger diameter section in the middle which is the onky point with enough material to machine a 31mm spline into
                                - Simon

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X