• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
    So the fuel particles mix with the oil and its this oil that gets blown back through the intake system?

BP diesel is different from Caltex diesel?
    That's how I understand it also ... go the catch can and thicker specified recommended oil to minimize blow by

Think BP and Caltex are very similar. .. each has its own special formula and at present are the only 2 that offer a premium diesel ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Giddyup
      • Oct 2013
      • Melbourne

So the fuel particles mix with the oil and its this oil that gets blown back through the intake system?

BP diesel (not ultimate) seems to be a lot different to Caltex Vortex diesel.

I've pretty much run regular bp diesel (closest servo) since I've had the car, only mod is the egr resistor. I consistently get 8.8 L/100km with driving I do.

A couple weeks ago I put in a tank of Caltex. Noticed the engine was a bit more rattly and I was getting worse fuel economy. By the end of the tank I calculated (going by the odometer and the fuel pump) that economy was 10% worse with Caltex.

Went back to bp and economy was back to normal.

I've used Caltex a couple times over the last 4 years and always get the same result. Run bp ultimate if I happen to be near a servo that sells it and don't notice any difference from the regular bp diesel.
      MY14 Titanium manual. Stock.

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by Giddyup View Post
        BP diesel (not ultimate) seems to be a lot different to Caltex Vortex diesel.

I've pretty much run regular bp ultimate if I happen to be near a servo that sells it and don't notice any difference from the regular bp diesel.
        Yeah I've noticed the same. Normal and Ultimate seem to be the same economy and power yet they are different as the ultimate does not foam. I think they have changed the formula from when it first came out. Vortex is OK but mainly run BP.
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• PeterC51
          • Dec 2015
          • Melbourne

If you believe their hyperbole....
          "In addition to its powerful cleaning agent, Vortex Premium Diesel features our next-generation foam inhibitor. This ensures no stable foam forms, to provide a cleaner and faster fill"

Caltex Australia provides high-quality products and services for when you're on the road. From Techron® fuels, lubricants, service stations, and more!

LOL "Next-generation foam inhibitor"!
          Peter
          MY10 PB XLS auto, MML alloy bullbar, Dobinsons suspension 2" lift, Bushskinz plates, ARB aluminium roof rack, 2nd battery in rear guard, MML towbar, BFG A/T tyres, Clearview mirrors, 80 ch UHF, WaterWatch alarm, AutoMate, Steinbaur chip etc.

Comment

• 02-SR5
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2010
            • Toowoomba

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
            That's how I understand it also ... go the catch can and thicker specified recommended oil to minimize blow by

Think BP and Caltex are very similar. .. each has its own special formula and at present are the only 2 that offer a premium diesel ...

I've just bypast the catch can altogether.

I run a hose from the side of the rocker cover down behind the block and vents into the atmosphere. Ilegal I know, but I will never get polluted air through the intake.

I have blocked the bit where it would normally attach just before the turbo.

That and the EGR block ensures 100% clean air is only going into the engine.

Diesels love clean fresh air and clean fresh fuel. You feed it both of these, it will last a very long time.

At 110,000 on the speedo now, I am always asked if I have had a chip installed or ECU tune. Nope, it's just a good solid engine the runs off clean air.
            MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Peterng
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2013
              • Northern Rivers NSW

and

The excess combustion gasses in the cylinder head, after the combustion process, move...get pushed..around the piston rings and are forced downwards ..passing the piston rings down into the crank case..it is this movement of these combustion gasses passing the piston rings..that is called "Blow By"...theses flowing gasses are mixed with the oil in the crank case...the positive pressure oil vapours off the crank case mixture is then moved into the intake manifold and combined with the intake air into the cylinder head to be burnt during the next combustion phase of the cycle.

As for fuel particles and stuff...I can't comment.. BP and Caltex fuels...their marketing and stuff...has my BS meter vibrating...
              Last edited by Peterng; 25-03-17, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
                and

The excess combustion gasses in the cylinder head, after the combustion process, move...get pushed..around the piston rings and are forced downwards ..passing the piston rings down into the crank case..it is this movement of these combustion gasses passing the piston rings..that is called "Blow By"...theses flowing gasses are mixed with the oil in the crank case...the positive pressure oil vapours off the crank case mixture is then moved into the intake manifold and combined with the intake air into the cylinder head to be burnt during the next combustion phase of the cycle.

As for fuel particles and stuff...I can't comment.. BP and Caltex fuels...their marketing and stuff...has my BS meter vibrating...
                As quoted by tech dept of well known tuning racing dept .. only use bp fuels reason being reliable mix of 52 cetane and less soot and sulphur. . Said the gases/vapour that pass back through the system tend not attach themselves ... I have also seen this on engine rebuilds of over 400k+ km on customers vehicles ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• KevL
                  • May 2015
                  • Murphys Creek

With refineries closing, most of our fuel, whether imported or locally refined, is shared between fuel companies. Only the additive packages change. Only Caltex still refine in Brisbane. Everyone else's fuel up here either comes from there or out of a boat from Singapore.
                  What I've noticed over the years is a lack of consistency with fuel companies. 2 years ago I used BP Ultimate diesel exclusively if available, until I had to fuel with Caltex one day. The difference was extraordinary. Noticeable improvement in throttle response and torque.
                  But.
                  Some tanks are better than others. Some Caltex isn't as good as the previous tank and I've used BP that was indistinguishable from Caltex. I've never been able to tell any difference between ultimate and normal bp. Of course, BP don't claim any improvement in power from ultimate, only restoration of power.
                  I've had the worst fuel economy and my best fuel economy from Shell. Generally though the car hates it.
                  I reckon you never know what you're going to get until you fill up and drive off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Peterng
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Northern Rivers NSW

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                    As quoted by tech dept of well known tuning racing dept .. only use bp fuels reason being reliable mix of 52 cetane and less soot and sulphur. . Said the gases/vapour that pass back through the system tend not attach themselves ... I have also seen this on engine rebuilds of over 400k+ km on customers vehicles ...

Right...
                    Without rabbiting on too much on CEM products, that's a reason why I use their FTC decarboniser. It creates a cleaner higher intensive "burn" in the cylinder at compression detonation. This incinerates a fair bit of sulphur and soot in the combustion process. I've noticed a bit more responsiveness from the motor. But that's a different debate in a different thread.
                    As for the different types of diesel..BP, Caltex etc..I don't know for we only have one type up here...supposed BP, but that is debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Lakey
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Brisbane

So what is the "easiest" way to check the internal state of the manifold without dismantling half the engine?
                      Cheers
                      Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• BanjoPato
                        • Jun 2015
                        • north Coast

Quick question,does anyone have real time experience with either the SPV or Munji EGR block?
                        What's the difference,apart from price?
                        Now I've got a clean manifold I'm considering this mod.
                        Cheers

Don

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X