• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Not too bad then .. thought maybe to go up a grade of oil cause your up north with temps ... also heard type of fuel plays a big part in soot as the higher the sulphur content more soot sticks to it (like flour that has water added to it) ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Loady1
      • Aug 2016
      • Queensland

Unfortunately the PS 2.4 engine with dpf has no approved alternative but 5w30 full synthetic ACEA c2,c3, or c4. I only use premium diesel.
      Late 2016 PS 5 seat. Bridgestone ATRs, Kings KCRS-23, KCFS-55, Bilsteins , PROVENT 200, Safari snorkel, bash plates.
      Hayman Reese towbar. Tow pro elite.

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

Which premium diesel as they all have different compositions, additives and cetane ratings ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Loady1
          • Aug 2016
          • Queensland

Vortex or Bp Ultimate, both low sulphur fuels.
          Late 2016 PS 5 seat. Bridgestone ATRs, Kings KCRS-23, KCFS-55, Bilsteins , PROVENT 200, Safari snorkel, bash plates.

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by Loady1 View Post
            good going ...

looking up the properties of the above 2 mentioned and Vortex seems to have mythel content - not too sure what that is (maybe blend of biodiesel) - if someone can enlighten us ...

as I know BP has a biodiesel being tested in the trucking fleet ... but as far as I can see do not blend their BP Ulimate diesel ...

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
              good going ...

looking up the properties of the above 2 mentioned and Vortex seems to have mythel content - not too sure what that is (maybe blend of biodiesel) - if someone can enlighten us ...

as I know BP has a biodiesel being tested in the trucking fleet ... but as far as I can see do not blend their BP Ulimate diesel ...

methyl

methanol is highly toxic and unfit for consumption. At room temperature, it is a polar liquid, and is used as an antifreeze, solvent, fuel, and as a denaturant for ethanol. It is also used for producing biodiesel via transesterification reaction.

or https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/methyl

Take your pick.

Comment

• Lando
                Valued Member
                • May 2013
                • Lake Maquarie NSW

My HDP catch on the NW after a touch over 10k....maybe 15ml of very clean oil (yeah its black...but no moisture etc) and thats erring on the high side...more than likely around 10ml, either way it wouldnt fill half a shot glass lol

This is pretty typical of what i get and my cans outlet pipe is still dry like new

I must say the HDP can is A...Ma..zing!!
                Last edited by Lando; 23-02-17, 05:53 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar and everything my phone stuffs up along the way :)
                MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Lando View Post

My HDP catch on the NW after a touch over 10k....maybe 15ml of very clean oil (yeah its black...but no moisture etc) and thats erring on the high side...more than likely around 10ml, either way it wouldnt fill half a shot glass lol

This is pretty typical of what i get and my cans outlet pipe is still dry like new

I must say the HDP can is A...Ma..zing!!

That is black. Mine is no where near that dark..
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Lando
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2013
                    • Lake Maquarie NSW

Its still got a honey colour to it on the fingers, and is no blacker (by the pictures) than the previous photo on the last page of the oil in the glass jar

I do oil every 7000-7500 normally and its always been fairly average of everything else ive done a change on

Except my subaru...its lucky to see 100km before every change lol, though the oil from both its catch cans is always black to the eye like this aswell using mobil delvac
                    Last edited by Lando; 23-02-17, 06:10 PM.
                    MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• greig
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • kanwal

Originally posted by Loady1 View Post
                      Haven't seen anywhere where the sulphur content is lower in one fuel to another ? Happy to be proved wrong though ! lol
                      Some "claim" theirs has an additive that "cleans " your engine, but until the manual states one type of fuel over another, I tend to take it all with a grain of salt !!

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

Originally posted by greig View Post
                        Haven't seen anywhere where the sulphur content is lower in one fuel to another ? Happy to be proved wrong though ! lol
                        Some "claim" theirs has an additive that "cleans " your engine, but until the manual states one type of fuel over another, I tend to take it all with a grain of salt !!
                        (no more then 10ppm)

(max 10ppm) typically 5ppm

it's a close race ...

Comment

• Outo
                          • Mar 2017
                          • Gold Coast, Queensland

Excuse My Ignorance

Guys, I have my Pajero Sport, had since July last year, first time I have ever had a diesel,
                          1. what is a catch can
                          2. What does it do?
                          3.Should I have one.
                          Thanks Outo

Comment

• Seigried
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2016
                            • brisbane

Very briefly_-
                            1. A container for filtering the oil vapour out of the other gasses that get recirculated via a egr valve as part of emmission contols
                            2 allows the oil to be filtered out and return to liquid state while other gasses continue to flow
                            3 yes. It is the only legal way to mod the egr system and will significantly extend the time period for needing to clean the intake manifold

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Outo
                              • Mar 2017
                              • Gold Coast, Queensland

Catch Can

What are they for do I need one on my sport sorry first diesel

Comment

• Loady1
                                • Aug 2016
                                • Queensland

Without a catch can, over time, the oil vapour from normal engine operation that leaves your rocker cover, enters the turbo inlet then goes through the intercooler leaving oily deposits there, continues on then mixes with Exhaust gas from the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system (EGR) and coats the inside of your inlet manifold with black sludge. Worst case, at some point downstream you will have to get your manifold removed and cleaned or replaced. There are lots of photos online of near totally blocked inlet manifolds caused by exactly this.

With a catch can fitted the oil vapour from the Positive crankcase ventilation (through the rocker cover) is condensed and captured before it gets it to the turbo, thereby minimising the negative effects mentioned earlier.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X