• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85L200Express
    • Mar 2012
    • Tasmania

Did My Timing Belt Slip? (With Image!)

My Triton has been having issues as I've explained in other threads, running bad, no low end power and then finally dying.

I managed to check codes and it gave me 12 - Air Flow Sensor, 22 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Fault, 23 Camshaft Position Sensor Fault.

I removed the camshaft sensor and one of the screw tabs broke or was broken already. I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and put it back on - no improvement.

I got a second hand air flow sensor from the wreckers and put that in and it started and ran for around 3 mins, began to backfire and stalled. I then checked for codes and the only code showing was now 22 - Crankshaft Sensor.

I've also removed the top timing belt cover to get to the camshaft sensor and saw the belt with a painted mark one tooth down from the timing mark on the cam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_170801.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	995565

What do you reckon from this image? Did the timing belt slip? I guess the only real way to check is to take the cover completely off and see if it lines up? Do I just turn the cam wheel by hand with a socket? If so, which way is safe?
  • bundyjr
    • Sep 2012
    • brisbane

belts jumping teeth is possible if not fitted correctly. was this your first attempt at fitting a timing belt.?

Comment

• 85L200Express
      • Mar 2012
      • Tasmania

I haven't changed it yet... am going to this coming week.

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

From the above photo I'd say it's impossible to say if the timing belt has jumped teeth. Is the mark on the belt the top or bottom alignment mark? Have you rotated the engine to see if there's a second alignment mark on the belt (the alignment mark in the photo could be for the bottom gear, with the top gear alignment mark hidden in the timing case).
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

My fading memory of 6G74 timing belts tells me that the pulley notch you have highlighted with the mark on the belt should line up with a V notch at the rear of the pulley, somewhere nearer the top of the pulley rather than way down the side as in your photo. I don't see the V notch in the photo. Was the crankshaft at TDC when you took the photo? If it was, I think you have problems, although if the belt has slipped I would expect that the pulley notch would be the other side of the cam centreline.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2014
            • Pakenham

Any timing marks on belts and pulleys are irrelevant unless you can see all 3 at the same time.
            I could move that mark on the belt 10 teeth out and still get the pulley marks to line up.
            There is an inspection cover on each head, then TDC on the crank.
            99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• 85L200Express
              • Mar 2012
              • Tasmania

Thanks for the replies guys.

Can I turn the engine by hand while the spark plugs are still in, in order to try and line up the timing marks, or will the pressure be too great?

Comment

• Gen3
                • Nov 2011
                • penrith , NSW

you can turn the engine over using a long breaker bar , this must be done in a clockwise direction only. with enough force you can overcome the compression.
                winding the engine backwards ( anti clockwise ) will cause the belt to jump teeth.

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

I noticed in researching OBD2 tools there is apparently an error code generated if a belt jumps. That is my sum total of knowledge but maybe something like a Scangauge can pick this up?
                  2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Pakenham

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                    I noticed in researching OBD2 tools there is apparently an error code generated if a belt jumps. That is my sum total of knowledge but maybe something like a Scangauge can pick this up?
                    That would be fine except they don't use the OBD2 protocol.
                    99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Ent
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2014
                      • Tasmania

Reading back to OP found codes have been checked with camshaft position code found. Teach me to read the complete thread.
                      2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X