• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beech
    • Aug 2013
    • Burrumbeet

Noise in rear end

My 2012 NW Platinum has a noise in the rear end, 114000 Kms, local dealer has replaced the rear diff and both left and right rear wheel bearings, they changed the tyres noise still persists. We are now waiting for someone from MMA Adelaide to visit and try to find the fault.
    I also have a NT (poverty pack model) first reg 2012 140000 Kms quite as a mouse, apart from the Dunlop tyres.
    I thought I would post on the forum see if anyone has or had a similar problem, the noise is most annoying, if you did not know better you would swear it is the Diff, I have already suggested to the dealer the new Diff may be at fault.
    Await you comments.
  • Jimboy
    • May 2015
    • Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

What kind of noise is it and how do you get it to happen?

I also have a worrisome thunk in my driveline that nobody as yet has been able to track down.

Did get my rear drive hubs tightened which I thought had solved it but thunk persists.

Another area to look at is the Diff Bushes.

My Noise happens mainly when putting foot on or off accelerator at low speeds, sub 40km.
    Also when On/Off accelerator during freeway coasting.
    Can also happen with early gear changes(auto), mostly say when taking off from standstill then soon after taking foot off accelerator.

My concern is the long term wear on any components involved and a possible fail.

At one stage I foolishly took it to Mitsubishi in Frankston and explained the issue to a tech who came along for a drive. He could hear/feel what
    the noise was and had some ideas on what to chase up. That left me optimistic but when I went to pick up car they gave me a lame fob off
    saying I needed to get my tyres looked at replaced before they could do anything! How that stopped them from assessing my driveline ?

Very interested to see how you go with yours if its similar. I suspect mine is the bushes.

Cheers,
    Jim.
    4WD Neophyte In a 2013 Pajero NW GLX; taking me places to appreciate the nature of Oz- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/

Comment

• PajeroNL
      • Jun 2016
      • Clarem

Drive shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Tamworth
        • May 2014
        • Tamworth

Beech

My 2014 NW at 110 000km recently developed a clunk in the Drive train whenever I put my foot on or off the throttle
        Local dealer diagnosed excess play in drive shaft (they don't have Uni joints, something to do with a spline coupling or so I've misunderstood!), new drive shaft and problem solved. I've only done 5000km since.
        Mark

Comment

• Friction Nut
          • Mar 2015
          • Healesville, Vic

I've got the same problem developing. 33500 kms on my NX and discovered this tonight. Seems to be mostly along flat ground or incline. Not so much when going downhill.

But a definite clunk from the rear when coming on and off accelerator. Typically above 40kmh right up to about 80-90. Above that and the engine/wind noise tends to drown it out.

Anyone had success finding out what it is?
          2014 NX. ARB Bullbar. Factory tow bar, SPV EGR mod, Donaldson 3 micron- post factory filter, HPD Catch Can, Bushskinz sump, intercooler and transmission guard, stedi ST3K light bar, X-ray vision 220 HID, GME 3350 UHF, Bilstien and Kings awaiting fitment, otherwise stock as a rock.

Comment

• Friction Nut
            • Mar 2015
            • Healesville, Vic

Quality Mitsubishi service

Had my NX in today to have the clunk looked at. Explained it very specifically and very simply to the service bloke who wrote some notes.

I even asked for someone to come for a drive with me. But apparently there was no one available. That's cool, I said. I just don't want to come back this afternoon to be told you can't hear it and that's it's normal.

Well, low and behold. I go back to pick it up and get told it's the tow bar. Did they think to remove the tow hitch to see if the rattle goes away. Of course not. That's common sense.

So.. $60 later and the clunk is still there. It was there as soon as I drove out of the service centre. Throttle down- clunk, throttle off - clunk.

Called them up and they said to bring it in tomorrow morning and someone will go for a drive with you. Yeh right. Tried that this morning but no one was available.

Getting very annoyed with Mitsubishi service. I'm sure not all service centres are like this, but this one doesn't go one iota further than they need to.

Rant over.

2014 NX. ARB Bullbar. Factory tow bar, SPV EGR mod, Donaldson 3 micron- post factory filter, HPD Catch Can, Bushskinz sump, intercooler and transmission guard, stedi ST3K light bar, X-ray vision 220 HID, GME 3350 UHF, Bilstien and Kings awaiting fitment, otherwise stock as a rock.

Comment

• Cammo15
              • Sep 2015
              • Wodonga

Hi guys

Long time reader but first post on the forum. This thread is very timely for me. My 2011 NW with 137xxxkm developed a 'thud' similar to what you guys are describing in the rear end changing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd etc about 6 weeks ago while accelerating and also changing down gears.

My initial thoughts were a diff/clutch issue. Had it at my local mechanic that ive been using for some time (only 2nd service with the paj) today getting a standard service and his diagnosis was slack being taken up in the driveshaft/driveshain...my technical knowledge is pretty poor but he described it as where the driveshaft connects to the diff

While he took it for a drive and spent a fair amount of time trying to find the cause of the thud, he didnt have time to actually pull anything apart and fix it. Ill be taking back in a few weeks so he can hook up some machine that allows him to pinpoint the sound...apparently?

So i guess im no better off at this stage but my mechanic seems to have an idea of the issue. He mentioned his hesitation to replace the driveshaft as they are carbon fibre and $$$$

Cam
              2011 NW - OL Deluxe Bar, Runva 11xp - Toyo OC AT - Rhino Trade Rack - 2" lift - Kick Ass dual batter for 65l Evakool Fridge - Bushskinz

Comment

• Jimboy
                • May 2015
                • Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

I suggest you have the drive hubs checked and tightened firstly as this is a known Gen 4 issue and if left I believe it could have
                you end up with wear that ultimately leads to you needing CV joint replacement.

The other common cause of this type of thud can be the rear diff bushes.

Does seem to be hard one to get diagnosed as most mechanics appear to not have the inclination or time to patiently find the fault.

I did get my hubs tightened and although they were loose this was not the root cause of the noise in my case.

Jim.
                4WD Neophyte In a 2013 Pajero NW GLX; taking me places to appreciate the nature of Oz- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/

Comment

• Friction Nut
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Healesville, Vic

So I've just come back from Mitsubishi again after taking the mechanic who worked on my car yesterday for a drive.

Says the clunk in the drive train is normal. He says there must be some play in all the components.

Fair enough I say. It's only been there for the past two weeks. Not only can it be heard, but it can be felt through the entire car.

Oh well. Next time they look at it, it might be delivered to them on the back of a tilt tray.

Comment

• Purdy
                    • Oct 2015
                    • Mullumbimby

Hi. I have a 2009 NT which I have owned for a year and a half. Clunk in the rear when lifting off the accelerator has only been occurring for the past 4 weeks (no noise prior). Just had it at the mechanics which checked the common 36mm castle hub nuts (no problems) and rear diff bushes etc (no problems). Buggered if I know what it may be. Hopefully nothing expensive!
                    2016 Pajero Sport Exceed. Snorkel & under-body protection plates

Comment

• marcthelegend
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • Gosnells, WA

Climb under with the car in park (or any gear for those who drive a manual) and the handbrake is on and see how much play is in the tailshaft, there is a limit as to what is normal (think it was 3mm from memory but I am likely wrong with that) which is measured by turning it one direction until it stops, marking that position on the diff and then spinning it the other direction until it stops and measuring the distance between the 2 points, basically if it's excessive take it back and tell them the backlash needs adjusting, they will need to open the diff and add in some shims to bring the teeth closer together and pick up the slack. VERY common on the GEN3's.

Cheers,

Marc
                      05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
                      brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• SpanishForWhat?
                        • Mar 2016
                        • Perth

5mm backlash limit for rear, 11mm for front.
                        REAR AXLE TOTAL BACKLASH CHECK

I have a feeling I had the wrong number in mind when I checked the rear some time ago, will have to find some time to check it again.
                        '11 NT GL

Service Manual for Gen 4 Pajero

Comment

• ajc8054
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Rowville

Have a similar issue - any update

Originally posted by Beech View Post
                          My 2012 NW Platinum has a noise in the rear end, 114000 Kms, local dealer has replaced the rear diff and both left and right rear wheel bearings, they changed the tyres noise still persists. We are now waiting for someone from MMA Adelaide to visit and try to find the fault.
                          I also have a NT (poverty pack model) first reg 2012 140000 Kms quite as a mouse, apart from the Dunlop tyres.
                          I thought I would post on the forum see if anyone has or had a similar problem, the noise is most annoying, if you did not know better you would swear it is the Diff, I have already suggested to the dealer the new Diff may be at fault.
                          Await you comments.
                          First time poster ;

I have a 2014 NW with 113k on the clock .

Sounds like I have the same issue ... I would describe it as a "wirring" sound (similar to noise you would expect when running muddies) from the back end. Very noticeable inside the cabin from around 40kmph . Does not change under load or acceleration. I've tried coasting and shifting to neutral with the noise remaining. New set of tyres fitted today and noise is still there.

I noticed the initial thread was hijacked by people with clunking sounds ... just wondering if you had any update from MMC re your problem before I start looking towards the diff / driveshaft.

Wheel bearings look okay and given it's only done 113k I wouldn't expect to need to look at them.

Any update / advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Update to my last ...

Turns out my noise was the left rear wheel bearing .... phew ... easy fix :-)
                          Last edited by ajc8054; 17-03-19, 12:23 AM. Reason: update

Comment

• RPIS
                            • May 2019
                            • Queensland

Hello Beech,
                            I also have an NW Platinum manual, 190000 KM, with a noise from rear drive area, probably right side. Not a clunk, not metallic. Initial reaction was to look for tyre damage (not that), damaged boot (not that) or something wrapped around drive shaft (not that). Noise increases in frequency as vehicle speed increases through the gears, becoming difficult to hear as road noise increases.
                            Noise in sequence with rotation of a tyre or shafts in rear drive train. Obvious sites have been inspected and cleared - Drive shaft, Differential, half shaft, CV joints, boots, tyres.

Was your noise similar? Did your issue get resolved?

Thanks

Comment

• gen1
                              • Nov 2012
                              • Melbourne

just came across this while looking for something else! I had the same whirring you described, coming from the back of my NX, and it started from about 35k. It took a while for the noise to get worse enough that the seemingly deaf dealer mechanics couldn't ignore it. This took until just after 55k, so quite some time. The rear wheel bearing were stuffed, with the hubs full of dirt, sand and general road grime. In what seems to be a bit of a design flaw there is nothing by way of a decent seal to keep the dirt out of the hubs. The dealer replaced both under warranty without hesitation, thankfully, as it would have cost about $950 each side. The noise was initially difficult to hear unless it was hot, such as after a long drive or in hot weather.. Hubs replaced and no more noise, from them at least, there are other issues not yet diagnosed!
                              2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X