Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 15-02-15

Default question about front end suspensions setups

Just confirming that gen 1 and gen 2 lower ball joints are definitely different?

I've just put in gen 2 UCA's and need to order new ball joints, so figured I would order lowers together cause mine are shagged, but I'll need to order gen1 specific lowers and gen 2 uppers now, right?

Also, if I decide to leave the ball joints regular, not flipped, would I be right in thinking there would need to be like a 10mm+ shim due to the added length of the arm?
Old 15-02-15

What's the advantage of gen2 upper control arms?
Old 16-02-15

For me, bolt in ball joints and the ability to flip them.

Still undecided on whether to flip them or not.. All evidence is saying no for drivability, but it's not my daily drive, so the improved angle on the ball joint itself may pay itself off
Old 26-07-17

Default Gen 2 upper control arms on gen 1

Hi,

Ive been told that the gen 2 upper control arms have about an extra 2 inches of droop. Combine this with cutting the bump stops gives a fair bit more travel. But im a bit confused about the whole ball joint flip thing.

Can someone explain what I need to do in terms of ball joints?

Regards

Scott
Old 27-07-17
Valued Member

From what I can see - the gen1/2 lower ball joints look similar but not the same. I would contact a auto shop or even Mitsubishi to see if the part numbers are similar but I would expect not. You will definitely need to have the alignment re-done after swapping the control arms and ensure the aligners complete a shim adjustment as well (ask them before dropping it off). Bakerboy didn't do this back in the day and chewed his claws out in no time.

The ball joint flip moves the ball joint from resting on the top of the upper control arm to the bottom of the arm. This gives an additional droop but puts the bolts which hold the ball joint in tension rather than compression. This is why people drill the holes out to accommodate a larger bolt and use high tensile bolts when flipping the ball joint. I personally have not flipped mine but I can't see the sense in flipping a ball joint and leaving the droop stop trimmed, I would take them off and glue a thin bit of rubber in their place if your after extra travel - it's much safer with a similar result. There's a generic photo of a pajero with a flipped ball joint that went wrong which is a good example of the consequences of a bad job.

Now pending: Nothing
Old 30-07-17

Default 4d56 engine

Hi all,
I have a 4d56 engine that dropped a valve sitting in the shed. Anyone interesred? Offers invited
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hey paj man. Just an update as this was 2 years ago, yes different part numbers for gen 1 and 2 lower ball joints. I left the uppers as normal, not flipped. Not keen on drilling and using larger high tensile bolts. Also got an alignment and yes, 2 tries at it before the shims were put in
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Aha no worries mate - well food for thought anyway.

Now pending: Nothing
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

replacing my control arms with Gen 2 versions is definitely on the list, as is a throttle body from a NL SOHC paj...love retrofitting newer parts to older models...

Have you noticed the difference since swapping to Gen 2 arms?
Old 5 Days Ago

Other than having a spare pair of ball joints on the shelf in the garage, nah. Haha. But it is good to know I can easily swap them out if need be. Apparently the droop is increased, but considering how easily they lift a wheel I can't imagine it helps a great deal. I also have standard bump stops, not shaved so my droop probably isn't changed at all.
To save me searching - what's different about the throttle body on the NL? Bigger? Brings back memories of being 18/19 putting bigger throttle bodies on my NA RB30 skylines for sweet intake... hahaha