• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Adealide to the Tip

Just back from an 8 week trip with the camper-trailer from Adelaide up to the Tip of Cape York, through outback SA, NSW and Queensland.

Total km: 10,783
    Total fuel: 1563 litres
    Average fuel consumption: 14.5 L/100 km
    Cheapest fuel: $1.27/L at Mt Isa on Sept 2
    Dearest fuel: $2.22/L at Archer River Roadhouse on August 8.

Paj performed very well. Only problem was a wire to the windscreen washer pump snapping. Easily fixed except to get at the little bugger I had to remove the entire airbox and the under-bonnet part of the snorkel.
    Ultimate camper also did well, except the 40amp relay directing traffic into/out of the Redarc BCDC charger decided to give up the ghost in Bamaga. Took 3 days to get a replacement up from Cairns.

Our route was from Adelaide to Mt Gipps Station outside Broken Hill, then up to Cameron Corner. From there we went to Eromanga via Noccundra Hotel, then to Welford National Park and Bladensburg NP, doing the Lark Quarry Dinosaur Stampede as a day trip. Then Longreach and Winton, and Porcupine Gorge NP, before doing the Lava Tubes at Undarra. Then up to the Tablelands, Mossman Gorge, the Daintree and Cape Trib, and the Bloomfield Track to Cooktown, stopping for an atrocious cup of “coffee” at the Lion’s Den. Day trip out to Elim Beach, then over the Battle Camp Road to Kalpower Crossing in Lakefield NP. Spent a few days at Chili Beach (windy but beautiful) and Portland Roads before cutting across to Weipa on a very ordinary Peninsula Development Road. Cut back across Batavia Downs to rejoin the Telegraph Road, and into Bramwell Roadhouse. Went out on a very rutty section of the OTT to see people winching themselves up and out of Palm Creek. Took the Southern Bypass up to Fruit Bat Falls, then joined the OTT for the run into Eliot Falls across a deeper than expected Scrubby Creek. Glad I had a snorkel. After 3 days at the Falls, did the crossings of Canal Creek and Sam Creek (neither was deep, but both required a bit of a recce to see the best route for the camper and some careful wheel placement), before taking the exit track west onto the Northern Bypass. After the Jardine, went out to Mutee Heads for a night, then to Loyalty Beach and finally Punsand Bay and the Tip. Did the 5 Beaches Run, no drama, but there were a few steep rocky bits that saw the Paj’s auxiliary fuel tank bottoming out. Back to Seisia to wait for the replacement relay. Then south down the Bypass Roads to Laura to see the Quinkan Aboriginal Art, then onto Chillagoe Caves. Took the Burke Development Road (quite an adventure) across to Karumba, then down to Mt Isa for a minor Paj service before staying a couple of nights at Diamantina Lakes NP. On to Birdsville, to do the iconic things: pies at the Bakery, dinner at the pub, spotted Barnsey driving his fork-lift at a decent clip around town, and an easy up and over Big Red (14 psi, 2nd and 3rd gear low range). Finally down the Birdsville Track to Maree and back down to Adelaide.

The roads on the Cape were very corrugated in parts, no doubt reflecting how late in the season it was. Main problem on all outback roads,especially the rocky ones, is that the majority of drivers will not slow down as they approach you. Am I the only person who has ever had a broken windscreen and knows that the closing velocity is a critical factor? Anyway, I still give a wave to such drivers, but it’s just with a single finger.

I've now done 3 of the 5 main long distance trips I had always planned to do: The Kimberleys, Pilbarra/Coral Coast, and the Tip. Next year, it’s Arnhem Land, and sometime later the southwest of WA. For now, the big clean-up and major services for both vehicles.

I’ll put up a few pics in the next couple of posts.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

A few pics
    Attached Files
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Pwoffey
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Adelaide

more pics (if you hover your mouse over it the pic's title is shown)
      Attached Files

Comment

• Pwoffey
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Adelaide

last ones for now...
        Attached Files

Comment

• XXXceed
          • Oct 2013
          • Adelaide

Great trip there mate, thanks for posting. Very jealous of where you have been so far!
          2004 NP exceed DI-D: Bilstein/Lovell 2"HD lift, Bushskinz guards & sliders,Tigerz 2x2.5 awning, Toyo Opat 2's, Safari snorkel, SR 3" exhaust

Comment

• Apollo
            • Dec 2016
            • Cooloola Coast QLD

That is a good trip. Thanks for the post.

Comment

• gemster
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Gold Coast

Well you can cross that off the list... Now Where to go Next..

Gemster....
              YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
              And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
              ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Having Fun
                • Jun 2015
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
                Main problem on all outback roads,especially the rocky ones, is that the majority of drivers will not slow down as they approach you. Am I the only person who has ever had a broken windscreen and knows that the closing velocity is a critical factor? Anyway, I still give a wave to such drivers, but it’s just with a single finger.
                I'm very glad that you posted that up. So many driving on dirt roads just blaze along. Some think that they're doing the right thing & move off to the left (where all the rocks are), but keep going at cruising speed, flicking rocks everywhere!

There's even a trip report on here where the poster tells how he overtook someone at speed on a dirt road, because the driver in front was going slower than him! Which of course, is a big no, no!

But what hope is there of getting them to slow down on the road, when they speed in through servo's with a gravel apron, or wayside stops on dirt roads, when others are sitting there having lunch!

Sounds like you had a great trip though!

Comment

• Pwoffey
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Adelaide

If someone comes up behind me and wants to pass I always try and contact them on the UHF and say I will pull over and slow way down so they can do so easily, but ask that they pass me relatively slowly and do not accelerate until well clear of me. It sometimes works, unless of course it is a Toy HiLux or 70 series or a Patrol, because it is well known that these drivers never get broken windscreens, or their company would pay for it.

On a particularly nasty (gravel and corrugations) section of the Northern Bypass, a ute towing a campertrailer was coming towards me at about 80 kph and passed me throwing up a cloud of rocks. I used the UHF to to suggest he might consider slowing down (or words to that effect) when approaching another vehicle. He told me to mind my own business (or words to that effect) and that in any case he was only doing the speed limit which was quite appropriate for that road. People have no idea what a maximum speed limit actually means. Well, end of rave (for now). Yes, had a great time.

Comment

• Real4Wdrive
                    • Mar 2013
                    • SA

Fantastic. Would love to do that some day!
                    NS Pajero 25th Anniversary, OME Suspensions, ARB Bullbar, Rhino Platform Roof Racks, ECU Remap, Polyaire Bags.

Check out my videos: www.youtube.com/c/TabVentures

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X