• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Roy
    • Jul 2014
    • Traralgon Victoria

Ring Gear Replacement

Just wondering if anyone has had a ring gear replaced on Auto flex plate 4M41 engine in Gen 3? I have been told they are the same design as the manual flywheel ones, and can be pressed on and off of the flex plate.
    Cheers
  • Just Cruzin
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Pakenham

Not sure about the Paj, but all the ring gears that I've dealt with you had to freeze the flywheel and heat the ring gear. Easiest option is a trip to the wreckers.
    99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Allan2
      • May 2013
      • Mid Nort Coast, NSW

If it is a auto it will have a flex plate, replace the flex plate it. If it is a manual the ring gear can be replaced if they are available. Why did the ring gear fail? better look at the bendix drive on the starter.
      Allan
      2009 NT, 3.2 Auto, D/Lights & Light Bar, EGR mod, Sump and Inter Cooler Guards, Tow Bar, Bog Standard.

Comment

• T-Roy
        • Jul 2014
        • Traralgon Victoria

I was under the same impression that being an auto I would need to replace the whole flex plate. Talking to supplier in Melbourne and he says the auto flex plate in the paj with 4M41 engine can have just the ring gear replaced. ????
        It must be1 or 2 bad spots in the gear as the starter doesn't engage sometimes just grinds. Replaced starter recently and hasn't fixed the problem.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

You can check the ring gear easily by removing the starter motor and slowly rotating the engine over with a socket on the crankshaft pulley. Watch the teeth and see if any are damaged. You may also check the starter motor pinion teeth for damage as well.

Comment

• T-Roy
            • Jul 2014
            • Traralgon Victoria

So my supplier was correct. The ring gear on the auto flex plate can easily replaced. $170 for a brand new gear, hammer the old one off and heat the new one a bit and on she goes. Another example of how good these pajeros are made.

Comment

• GHendo
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Northern NSW

If you want to see a stuffed ring-gear, have a look at my post here ...

Cheers

Geoff
              03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X