• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tugga
    • Nov 2017
    • Bunbury WA

CB RJ 45 dash plug dramas

Fitted an Icom IC 450 to Tugga. All good, until I plugged in the RJ 45 handset to the new youbutise plug I fitted into the lower console panel. The thing wouldn't hold onto the handset plug and kept loosing connection.

Irony alert. The only thing I didn't worry about during the whole install was the plug . it cost $40. Best money can buy right.

Was a bit frustrated after the hours pulling the dash apart carefully. "btw thank you to all those who contribute to forums and guided me" , it helped. A LOT!!

The plug came from JCar and is a hefty looking IP67 model with a cap. It wouldn't connect the handset to the unit. Long story short involving multiple returns with no help from the retail kids. I won't talk about my little chewy spit.

Turns out the the pins in the RJ 45 female for this plug are not proud enough to accept the Icom male plug. Ultimately the solution was to use a small mechanics pick and pull each copper bar in the plug out a little. Carefully. OR buy a different plug.

On the Jacar plug, if you look carefully, female RJ 45 plugs can be either short or long copper bars internally. Go the long if you have a choice.

Whew. What a root.

Some things I learnt:

The blank panel for the heated seat (if you have no heated seats) just pops out if you lever with a small screwdriver on the SIDE of the panel.

Install a switch for future things in the blank for the diff locks (if you have no diff locks). It's a weapons grade hassle to pull all that dash out. Think what you want to do and do it all while the dash is out. I put a Lightforce Light bar switch in. it fits with just a little trimming.

Use cat 6 extension cable from head unit to dash plug to extend the Icom handset. Works a treat.

The IC 450 fits nicely behind the passenger panel on the transmission tunnel. Velco works great.

Anyhoo. Hope this post helps anyone fitting a lower panel mount plug for a CB outlet into an NT dash.

I feel your pain brother!!

Final comment - WTF is that card holder all about??
    Attached Files
  • mr_bosman
    • Oct 2014
    • Warrnambool

Did something similar, mounted a rj45 coupler in a switch blank, used a dremel and a lot of patience.

Same radio as you and same mounting location.

How have you found the icom unit.
    2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• Tugga
      • Nov 2017
      • Bunbury WA

A mission huh.

The icom beats all on the tech specs and made by those clever Japanese folk.

However all I have so far is half dozen recordings of me going "radio check - radio check' will go for a drive tomorrow out on the highway and see.

Running a uniden 6.5 db antenna.

Comment

• Tugga
        • Nov 2017
        • Bunbury WA

Icom IC 450 works great. 5 x 5 with everyone i spoke to. Handset volume control keeps your eyes on the road. The voice telling what channel you're on is bit prissy, but again eyes on the road.

Comment

• Jdiddy2232
          • Feb 2017
          • Sutherland NSW

Love the use of the blank space where the heated seat panel in, definitely using that idea... i was hearing people taking the card holder out and mounting the cb there, no idea how hard it would be but ill let you know when i have a go at it.

Comment

• ticky
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

I had the same problem with the same plug from Jcar I went back to Jcar and bought a different plug a metal one. Same setup, plug in the back and Front No Problems except for the hole I made for the plastic plug was bigger than the hole I needed for the metal plug.. I made a small metal plate to cover the original hole and it is held in place with the new plug.

No Problems now.

Steve
            2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X