Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Amarok TDI550 (17) vs Navara ST-X550 (14)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vix2010
    • Jan 2015
    • Wamboin NSW

Amarok TDI550 (17) vs Navara ST-X550 (14)

Just wondering what everbodys thoughts are about these two utes.
    Attached Files
    NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍
    (Everything happens for a reason)
  • Gen3
    • Nov 2011
    • penrith , NSW

Amaroks are not known for durability or reliability , so steer clear of those. VW Dealer service is rubbish and parts are very very expensive.
    for example a neighbour bought a new one locally , and then when the tail lights stopped working the dealer wanted to charge him $95 to repair them , citing it was a poorly fitted towbar. hey idiots - the car didnt have a towbar!!! refund demanded big time. then on top of that they stopped working again. a wiring fault which took them another 2 visits to fix.

Nissan - well they are ugly and used to have hand genade motors , so im not sure either.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Gen3 View Post
      Nissan - well they are ugly and used to have hand genade motors , so im not sure either.
      The "grenade" ZD30 was only in the D22 Navara, ending in 2004.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Amok
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

I do like the VW groups products, but there's no way in hell I'd buy one now. Bunch of cheating numpties.
        MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Amok View Post
          I do like the VW groups products...
          I had one.

...but there's no way in hell I'd buy one now. Bunch of cheating numpties.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Vix2010
            • Jan 2015
            • Wamboin NSW

Is there much power difference between both. On paper the Navara has a little more.

Does the V W have low range?
            NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍

Comment

• Gen3
              • Nov 2011
              • penrith , NSW

the 2.5 Navara motor was known to drop timing chains as well. I wouldnt trust a company that made 2 major mistakes its not worth the risk.

Comment

• Vix2010
                • Jan 2015
                • Wamboin NSW

the 2.5 Navara motor was known to drop timing chains as well. I wouldnt trust a company that made 2 major mistakes its not worth the risk.
                Is this the same for the 3ltr navara ?

Love The Paj 👍👍

Comment

• grhyso
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Perth

I do like the VW groups products, but there's no way in hell I'd buy one now. Bunch of cheating numpties.
                  You do realise Mitsubishi was found to have cheated on fuel consumption tests by reducing the load on the vehicles tyres during the tests to provide lower fuel consumption than reality. You'll be struggling to find an honest vehicle maker ( VW just got caught)
                  2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• DrewXT
                    • Mar 2014
                    • Melbourne

I've got an MY13 Amarok, and haven't had a single issue with the vehicle or dealership I deal with...

Would buy another without a second thought

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
                      • Oct 2012
                      • Brisbane QLD

Do you really think that VW are the only ones? They are all doing it. VW is the first to have been caught, then there was Honda but due to the VW hype Honda was overlooked and I grantee Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and all the others did the same.
                      2015 Landcruiser VDJ79R Dual Cab

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
                        • Oct 2012
                        • Brisbane QLD

Originally posted by Vix2010 View Post
                        Just wondering what everbodys thoughts are about these two utes.
                        I have a few friends that have Navara's and the issue seems to be the lack of power and a little unsteady off road. I only have one friend with a Amarok. They love it but have also complained about the lack of power and that they are very nose heavy especially in sand. The new V6 maybe the answer if your budget allows and you have the time to wait.
                        2015 Landcruiser VDJ79R Dual Cab

Comment

• Peterng
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Northern Rivers NSW

I went very close to buying a Amarok 2011/2012 model..had the finance ready and all I had to do was sign on the dotted line.
                          The deal breaker was the after sales service that was shown via and the Gear Box Affair when it hit the airways...yes, it did not really affect the Amarok that much, but it showed me what VW as a company was like.
                          I keep on looking at the Australian Amarok Forum periodically and they seem to be a hit & miss product..well the Argentina produced Amaroks that made their way to Australia are anyway...Amaroks are also produced in Algeria and Germany as well these days.
                          The resale of them is below average when compared to the bench mark Toyota Hilux.
                          They are doing some good deals on them...39k,+ on roads for a 4x4 model manual, when they first came out... 45k for the 4x4 base model.

At my previous work, we had Nissan Navara, a good honest ute..the auto Navara was a bit sluggish when compared to the manual version..its resale is better then the Amarok.
                          Nissan have more dealerships then VW especially in the regional country and spares for the Navara were not a problem when we had them at work.

I'd go for the Nissan.

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Brisbane

Timing chain guide in the NP and the DPF in the NS?
                            2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• conquistador
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • sth east queensland

Originally posted by Vix2010 View Post
                              Is there much power difference between both. On paper the Navara has a little more.

Does the V W have low range?
                              Driven a 550 through the simpson. The motor is good generally and great when it wakes up. Combination of some lag aided and abbetted by throttle mapping. The gearbox was pants was reluctant to change down. Ground Clearance was marginal even with lift.

No low range in the vw. Has a low 1st gear (like the 8SP pajero sport) which it uses as a redundant gear. It still only gives you a final ratio of about 20 to 1 which approximates between 2nd or 3rd low in most low range gearboxes.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X