• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave3006
    • Oct 2015
    • Lake Macquarie

Hitches for Caravans

Ladies & gents I have been fortunate enough to have been given my fathers Evernew Caravan. It is only 13 foot pop-top 1994 model in excellent condition and weighs 1000kg loaded.

It has a standard 50mm ball hitch on it which only just clears the bottom of the tailgate door and that is on level ground. I reckon that on uneven ground it is going to kiss the bottom of the door or worse, particularly if the kids or missus aren't savvy to it and then I have damage.

I m thinking I may also fit some 15 inch rims and bigger tyres to it to lift 25-30mm as it is only a low van. But presently it tows nice and level, and I may want to flip the tongue over too again decreasing the clearance, to get it back level if I fit the bigger tyres.

So I am after experiences and recommendations on alternative hitches.

At this point in time I have had a look at the McHitch only. So happy to hear from you all, TIA.
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

I've also looked at the McHitch but I ant to look at a Treg Hitch before I decide.
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• J B
      • Feb 2012
      • Brunswick, Vic.

Hitches for Caravans

This clearance issue has been one of the very few frustrations that I have had with both my NM and MW.

I hated the fact that I couldn't open the door without wacking the hitch. This was particularly problematic with my kids, who didn't get the idea of being careful when they opened the back door.

I solved this problem in two steps.

Firstly, I installed an Ark XO off road hitch. This is a low profile off road hitch that uses a standard 50mm ball.

More about .5t Off-road Coupling: Full off-road articulation; No more switching hitches; Quick-hitch locking system; Suits Electric brake system;

I went for this hitch because of its low profile, but also so that I could still tow other trailers (which I do often).

However, the door still hit the brake lever, so I welded a bracket low between the drawbar and connected the brake lever to this.

All good now. Now the door stops when it hits the front drawbar box!!

Cheers

JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• pusspuss
        • Jun 2010
        • ballarat

We have the McHitch auto coupler and think its great. Our caravan is very high and in order to get all level i have the hayman reece WDH at its highest hole. We are still able to open the back door 3/4 until it hits the stone guard on the van.
        Tow a caravan with 250sh kg ball weight
        Cheers
        Tony
        2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come

Comment

• RoyHarvey
          • Mar 2008
          • Adelaide

Hitch mod

This thread shows a modification that I'm planning for our caravan in the hope of avoiding a spare wheel lifter.

The standard ball coupling has been the most popular / common for a long long time.
          Last edited by RoyHarvey; 19-11-16, 09:18 PM.
          2016 NX Pajero GLX
          Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• Dave3006
            • Oct 2015
            • Lake Macquarie

Thanks fellas. One of the attractions of the McHitch is the Treg style adaptor also available with it which I could use on my off road trailer.

Comment

• pag
              • Mar 2013
              • valley view

We too have the McHitch uniglide and towed a camper trailer half way round this great nation. Not only does it easily miss the rear door but it's easy to hitch/unhitch and it's silent while towing (unlike the 50mm ball).

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X