• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

I had an NS and my bil has an NW. How an intercooler fits one and not the other is
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• spiderpig
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by letsgoplaces View Post
      I don't have a bar and winch, but he does know to take that into account.
      I'm putting on a snorkel before the job so they can run the piping properly to ensure to dodge the set up with a snorkel.
      I'm going to ask him to take progressive photo's of the fitout
      Sounds good.

Comment

• matty.hanz
        • Nov 2015
        • Melbourne

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, very keen to see the dyno results. Has you car had any performance mods done to it John? Tune/Exhaust/Chip? or is it stock standard in that sense?

Matt
        Tug - 2011 NT RX 3.2 DID Auto, HR TBar, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, 2" OME Lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17, SPV Mod

Coming Soon - Bushskinz, Exhaust, Tune, plus more.

Digs - 2015 Aussie Jay's "Crusher", 2x 120Ah Full River AGM Bats, BM Pro Bat Monitor, Noco Genius 7200 Charger, 160w Folding Solar, 60lt Engel.

Comment

• letsgoplaces
          • Jul 2014
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by matty.hanz View Post
          I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, very keen to see the dyno results. Has you car had any performance mods done to it John? Tune/Exhaust/Chip? or is it stock standard in that sense?

Matt
          Hi Matt, mechanically speaking, it's stock and it will be interesting to see the dyno stats.
          The only thing I have done is to clean the manifold and add the SPV mod which appear to have had a positive outcome.
          I'm not dissatisfied with the power of the Paj, but the turbo lag gets to me.
          I was going to get the Pedal Torq fitted when I have the snorkel and bar installed, but a couple of things happening at home have made me keep that $500 in my pocket for the moment.
          Being that a 3 day money back guarantee goes with the pedal torq, it will go on soon'ish

That's all for now
          John

Comment

• Easykill1978
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by letsgoplaces View Post
            Hi Matt, mechanically speaking, it's stock and it will be interesting to see the dyno stats.
            The only thing I have done is to clean the manifold and add the SPV mod which appear to have had a positive outcome.
            I'm not dissatisfied with the power of the Paj, but the turbo lag gets to me.
            I was going to get the Pedal Torq fitted when I have the snorkel and bar installed, but a couple of things happening at home have made me keep that $500 in my pocket for the moment.
            Being that a 3 day money back guarantee goes with the pedal torq, it will go on soon'ish

That's all for now
            John
            why bother, it uses a VGT turbo.. i beleive ecu will be the cause of the lag.

i would save the $500 and keep saving till you get the ECU remapped.. then you will see a difference as others have stated. many have reported an extra %25 torque, quicker spool up etc. you car should be out of warranty by now.. and the ECU remap is about $1200 ish or soo. being out warranty means MM wont reprogram the unit with and update sending your retune down the toilet.. thats a lot of $$ to throw away.

the size of the cooler, and length of piping will have a big effect on the lag.. not too mention the ECU and VGT Turbo.. as well as the exhaust size.

the benefits of a TMIC, mainly is to remove it from the ground position.. not to mention it gets cooler air up top being forced down, and we slap a fan on when 4x4 cause we go too slow to make it as efficient as we need.. (cooler air=more compression, better burn).. a front mounted TMIC will be more efficient only if there is no obstructions and clear air flow. since we add all sorts of goodies, this begins to drop.

also have a max of only 2 rubber pipes per side of the cooler, any more and you affect the efficiency of the unit.. and more places it can leak.

as i understand it VGT turbos are controlled by the ecu, its meant to be trying to get the most boost out of the entire range with certain fuel mixtures.. hence i believe a remap is better spent on your ride than the throttle mod. keep in mind MM tune these motors down.. and a remap will give you the best all round output for your car.. with out increasing fuel line pressures etc.. simply maximising your cars abilities.

IMO i would get a TMIC if possible or the front mounted unit thats off the ground then get it remapped.. as the car will be in the state you will use from day to day.

and dont forget newtons and & Einsteins laws.. your are using a 3.2L motor to get 2 tonnes of weight moving at a rapid pace.. these are not sports cars.. just big heavy machines that need to be moved from place to place and they take a lot of energy to get moving.
            Last edited by Easykill1978; 18-11-15, 05:55 AM.
            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post

i would save the $500 and keep saving till you get the ECU remapped.. then you will see a difference as others have stated.
              I've had mine remapped and still have the initial throttle lag, it's not Turbo lag I believe it's more a case of throttle lag. I've also thought about going down one of the various throttle controller paths, as others report good success with them.
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
              3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                • Jul 2014
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post

i would save the $500 and keep saving till you get the ECU remapped.. then you will see a difference as others have stated. many have reported an extra %25 torque, quicker spool up etc. you car should be out of warranty by now.. and the ECU remap is about $1200 ish or soo. being out warranty means MM wont reprogram the unit with and update sending your retune down the toilet.. thats a lot of $$ to throw away.

the size of the cooler, and length of piping will have a big effect on the lag.. not too mention the ECU and VGT Turbo.. as well as the exhaust size.

the benefits of a TMIC, mainly is to remove it from the ground position.. not to mention it gets cooler air up top being forced down, and we slap a fan on when 4x4 cause we go too slow to make it as efficient as we need.. (cooler air=more compression, better burn).. a front mounted TMIC will be more efficient only if there is no obstructions and clear air flow. since we add all sorts of goodies, this begins to drop.

also have a max of only 2 rubber pipes per side of the cooler, any more and you affect the efficiency of the unit.. and more places it can leak.

as i understand it VGT turbos are controlled by the ecu, its meant to be trying to get the most boost out of the entire range with certain fuel mixtures.. hence i believe a remap is better spent on your ride than the throttle mod. keep in mind MM tune these motors down.. and a remap will give you the best all round output for your car.. with out increasing fuel line pressures etc.. simply maximising your cars abilities.

IMO i would get a TMIC if possible or the front mounted unit thats off the ground then get it remapped.. as the car will be in the state you will use from day to day.

and dont forget newtons and & Einsteins laws.. your are using a 3.2L motor to get 2 tonnes of weight moving at a rapid pace.. these are not sports cars.. just big heavy machines that need to be moved from place to place and they take a lot of energy to get moving.
                Thanks Easykill,

I have looked at having the ECU remapped and was quoted $1600. If there is anyone in Adelaide who has had the remap for a better price, let us know who did it
                The intercooler will be a front mount, in a higher position.

Like I said, I am happy with the power and I have always said if you want more power, buy a petrol

I just saw Steve's response and that's interesting to see.
                The boys at TJM are deadset that the Pedal Torq is the only thing that will improve the turbo/throttle lag and maybe, just maybe there could be some merit in that, but at the end of the day they are still salesmen trying to sell a product.
                They are that confident that they do offer a 3 day money back, so if I fit it on a Friday, and after playing over the weekend aren't happy with the result, they will take it back on Monday and give me back my money.

I'm thinking the $500 might just be around the place when I take it in for the other work

John

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

I'd be going with this Throttle controller and and the optional OBD double adapter, a damn site cheaper than $500!
                  2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                  3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• rotare
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2007

I raised this concern in another thread regarding front mount intercoolers on these Pajero and the effect it will have on radiator temps.

Personally I think the stock radiators on the Pajero are barely adequate. Any heavy towing or going up long inclines on hot days will see the radiator temps quickly rise. You won't notice this on your factory gauge, but on a scangauge I've seen radiator temps whilst towing with my NW above 100C - and this was when the ambient temps were in mid 20C.

So by adding a front mount intercooler in front of the already struggling radiator, further reducing the cool air flow is obviously going to reduce the cooling efficiency of the radiator. Note also that the HPD intercooler kits use a bar and plate intercooler not a tube and fin, which due to their design reduce the air flow through the intercooler to the radiator even more.

However, I agree also that the factory intercooler is inadequate. On the same day in the above scenario I was seeing intake temps on my scangauge that peaked at 116C!

On this basis I've been looking at what options I have in regards to upgrading the intercooler. I'll probably end up putting a larger tube and fin front mount intercooler on my car, however I'm currently in the process of costing up a larger custom radiator too which will offset any negative impacts of the front mounted intercooler. I think it makes sense to upgrade the radiator first, then upgrade the intercooler.

Be interesting to see whether you guys notice any changes in engine temps once you get your front mounted intercoolers fitted.
                    2013 NW VRX

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Adelaide

The dongle arrived so I can get the Torque app happening and will be able to get accurate readings.
                      I will happily whack in a bigger radiator if need be, but with everything else going on at the moment, can't even consider it til next year.
                      However, if that does happen, then at least I will know the improvements from the stock radiator to an improved one.
                      In the meantime, I will have a couple of weeks running around before the intercooler is fitted, which will indicate the impact the front mount has on radiator temps.

John

Comment

• rotare
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2007

Just to clarify, the standard radiator and intercooler seem fine running around on flat ground in average temperatures. Normally my radiator temps sit on 88-90C and intake temps 15-30C above ambient.

It's in hot conditions, towing or extended periods of being under load when the factory cooling system simply can't cope and is when you see then temps rise quickly.
                        2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Onslow
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                          I'd be going with this Throttle controller and and the optional OBD double adapter, a damn site cheaper than $500!
                          http://chiptuning.com.au/products-pa...-controller-2/
                          Let me know if you're ordering Steve, I'll grab one too and we can split the postage. Worth a try at that price. I'm happy with the standard power but would like to reduce that lag somehow!
                          NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                            Just to clarify, the standard radiator and intercooler seem fine running around on flat ground in average temperatures. Normally my radiator temps sit on 88-90C and intake temps 15-30C above ambient.

It's in hot conditions, towing or extended periods of being under load when the factory cooling system simply can't cope and is when you see then temps rise quickly.
                            No worries. I'll keep an eye on things

Comment

• letsgoplaces
                              • Jul 2014
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                              http://chiptuning.com.au/products-pa...-controller-2/
                              Originally posted by Onslow View Post
                              Let me know if you're ordering Steve, I'll grab one too and we can split the postage. Worth a try at that price. I'm happy with the standard power but would like to reduce that lag somehow!
                              If you guys do get this one, let me know what you think of it

John

Comment

• spiderpig
                                • Jan 2008

Alot of other 4wd's have the intercooler mounted in front of the radiator, where it should be. I know there are alot of other variables but i cant see it being too much of a problem on the Paj. If it is im happy to upgrade the rad aswell, anything to get that intercooler away from the ground and up higher into some decent airflow

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X