• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trent26
    • Feb 2018
    • slovenia

Drive shaft too long

Hi guys
    New to the forum. Got a question about drive shaft size. My father in law has a gen 4 2007 t/d lwb Pajero. Bought a used replacement driveshaft for the rear online. It's off a 2008 model that the guy i bought it from had it in his vehicle.
    Have taken it to the mechanic to fit and it doesn't fit. Says it too long.
    Does the '08 model have different specs?
    Can anyone advise?

Thanks for the help
  • Piet Potjie
    • May 2016
    • Pretoria SA

Diveshaft lengths

I have been following posts about rear axles and lock diffs here as I intend doing a swop as my Gen4 is an open diff. I do recall some one doing the same swop, advised here that the one driveshaft from a diff with diff lock is shorter than the same side driveshaft from an open diff. I will see if I can find it.

Comment

• Axis
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2011
      • Highett Vic

^^ there was a thread/post where someone installed a factory rear locker and they had to replace both drive shafts.
      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Are you referring to propellor shaft between transmission and diff, or axle shafts from diff to hub?
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Hatto
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Mandurah WA

If it's axle shafts, the ones from a non rear diff lock paj are longer. Never had any experience with prop shafts though. Certainly could be different lengths for different diffs.
          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• chutsy33
            • May 2008
            • Far NW Qld

hi I had to replace the prop shaft/drive line-gearbox to rear diff. They are different from auto to manual. one is longer but I can't remember which is which but definitely different.
            2007 NS VRX 3.2 Manual, 265/70/17 , 3' Scott Rods Exhaust, SPVi EGR Module, TJM Snorkle. 2008 ML triton 3.2 manual.

Comment

• trent26
              • Feb 2018
              • slovenia

Hi guys
              Thanks for help. Looks like it's diff lock. The part comes off a pajero with no lock.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X