X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bennett
    • Mar 2011
    • Melbourne

Broken mine again It is a bad design. Has anyone tried the earlier model version?
    I am not spending $150+ on this shit again... Something I can't seem to fix with zip ties
    2007 VRX NS Auto Diesel

Comment

• Cjk
      • Feb 2018
      • United kingdom

Installed gas strut to replace OEM version

Mine has been broken for sometime and I've grown tired of the broom stick to hold my rear door open.
      I decided to order an adjustable gas strut with 1200nm force as I'm not sure how much force is required to keep the rear door open on a steep angle.

I also chose a 10mm shaft as the standard 8mm that MM supply is inadequate.

Adjustable force gas struts manufactured in the UK by SGS. All our gas struts are covered by a 2 year warranty and available with next day delivery.

Rod Dia. Stroke Extended Length Threads Force Range
      10mm 200mm 450mm M8x1.25 100-1200N
      you can adjust force by releasing gas from the strut.
      total cost was £30 delivered next day.

It took less than an hour to remove the old strut and remake the mountings to accept the new ball studs.
      The strut works really well on all angles.
      Attached Files

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Excellent solution! A few questions:
        1 How hard is it to close the rear door?
        2 What happens if the car is parked on a a slope? Does the door stay open
        3 How about a windy day? Is it likely to slam shut
        4 How long was the rod you used?
        5 What did you replace? My NW Pajero has a simple wedge type strut, not a gas strut.
        6 You re-made the anchors. I assume you used the original mounting plates and welded the ball joint from the strut onto the plates?

Comment

• Cjk
          • Feb 2018
          • United kingdom

Originally posted by erad View Post
          Excellent solution! A few questions:
          1 How hard is it to close the rear door?
          2 What happens if the car is parked on a a slope? Does the door stay open
          3 How about a windy day? Is it likely to slam shut
          4 How long was the rod you used?
          5 What did you replace? My NW Pajero has a simple wedge type strut, not a gas strut.
          6 You re-made the anchors. I assume you used the original mounting plates and welded the ball joint from the strut onto the plates?
          1.The door is slightly harder to close for the initial 1/4 but easy past that point.
          2 I have tested the car on a steep slope on and angle to test and so far no problem at all.
          3 Again no real issue with wind. There is the option to add a lock if you like I chose to keep the gas spring harder to compensate for no lock.
          4 450mm. I used 25mm ends but I have realised I would like longer ends. Total 500 mm
          5 07 NS. On YouTube I found universal conversions used on landys which should work on older paj.
          6 I used the same mounting brackets and made a collar to reduce hole size. I drilled the existing ball joints out with a 12mm drill bit this reduced to 8mm with the collar. I have decided to order a 10 mm ball stud as I think there is too much force on the 8mm version. Welded nuts would be the best solution but while I test the solution I prefer everything being easy to adjust and pull apart until I am absolutely satisfied.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Cjk:
            Thanks for the info. I will store this and hopefully not have to use it in the future....

Comment

• cooperplace
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2010
              • adelaide

the strut on my NS has been broken for years, it doesn't seem to be a problem except on steep slopes.

Comment

• linc
                • Jan 2008
                • Perth

Broke my strut two weekends back, at the beach --- locked it in place and tried to close the door. Oops --- completely stuffed

Here is my replacement

$149 brand new, delivered in 3 days, 5 mins to fit.
                Feels a lot stronger too than the OEM version ... and also cheaper than the wreckers were quoting me (for a part, incidentally, none of them actually had)
                Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
                Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
                Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

Yup same as the one I bought via amayama.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• westonpaj
                    • Aug 2012
                    • ACT

After breaking a second official MMA strut in a year on my NX (one through wind, one through someone's wanting to help..) I turned to Wazza at strutyourstuff:
                    IF ORDERING FROM OUTSIDE OF AUSTRALIA...YOU MUST CONTACT US FIRST FOR A POSTAGE QUOTE TO YOUR COUNTRY!No need to pay genuine prices anymore.Specially dampened and pressure set to work with weight of the rear door, meaning the door will self open o...

About $120 incl GST, 11 days to the east from WA, looks really good quality, sensible stopper design and 10min to install using the original mounting plates.

Comment

• jonesy78
                      • Dec 2013
                      • australind

Wazza strut is awesome as a replacement. It took a little while to get used to manual unlocking it but in the end it works well and still going strong 12 months later

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X