Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Towing a Camper Trailer with a Gen4 TD Auto - Gear Selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • birdd
    • Mar 2014
    • Bundaberg, QLD

Towing a Camper Trailer with a Gen4 TD Auto - Gear Selection?

We have a NT Turbo Diesel Auto, we also have a camper trailer. The CT is a Scapha which is an Aluminium tub on a gal chassis so its nice and light, at only 375kg tare and 750kg ATM (unbraked).

Now I have just driven with the auto in fully automatic, but I have seen posts on various facebook groups and forums about towing in 4th.

Does this apply to my setup as well? or is just fully auto ok?
    2008 MY09 Pajero NT GLX
    MM Alloy Bullbar, MM Sidesteps, MM Tow Bar, Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guards, Pioneer Platform, Supa-Peg Supa Wing Deluxe 270 Awning, 2x2.5m Kalahari Awning, 23" 144W CREE LED Light bar, Uniden UH8080NB, eBay Reversing Camera, Sony XAV-AX100 6.2" CarPlay/Android Auto Headunit, MM/Milford Cargo Barrier, Torqit Pedal Torq, Dual Battery (CTEK D250S Dual, PowerSonic 120AH AGM)
  • _jp_
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2013
    • Adelaide Hills, SA

You need to listen (and watch the tacho) to ensure the torque converter locks up when travelling. If it is slipping it will create excessive heat and possibly compromise the ATF oil and the trans.

If its slipping, drop it back to 4th and try to get it to lock.

Best advice I can give is to get a scan gauge or ultra gauge and keep an eye on the ATF oil temps this way.
    NW GLXR - SOLD
    --------------
    EVO 6 TME

Comment

• mudlova
      • May 2015
      • australia

OK so call me stupid and tar and feather me, how can you tell the converter has locked up i.e. what sound or rev limits, as I tow a camper as well (not with the Paj yet only a Prado), normally in drive and it cycles through gears normally and goes into 5th gear smoothly, just not sure if I'm missing something here.
      No longer own a Pajero

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
        • Aug 2012
        • Brisbane, Southside

A reasonable question - the answer is that you know you're locked up when the sight (tacho) and sound (engine RPM pitch) confirm each other.

That is by playing for a while in manual mode you can tell you're locked up say in 4th, the tacho needle drops and remains steady for the same given speed. This is accompanied by lower engine RPM noise.

Practice by feathering the throttle when you are straight and level or going slightly downhilland you'll induce it to lock up.

I actually drive in cruise control and manually shift up and down between 3rd and 4th and you can see it all happening including going into 4th and then locking up
        Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
        Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• TC.Barky
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2011
          • Melbourne

If you've got a scangauge or equiv device that can monitor AT temps that's another way to work out what's going on. If you leave it in drive and there's enough resistance to unlock the converter the trans temps will climb rapidly. I was towing a horse float with nothing in it not long ago and I was finding most of the time I had to be in 4th except for slight downhills.
          MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Having Fun
            • Jun 2015
            • Adelaide

Going up any hills with an auto, I'd stay in 4th, or even change down if the engine starts to labour on steep hills.

Flat open road, I'd use drive.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X