• Show
Clear All
  • Dazza.
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Northern Territory

Best way through the firewall??

Greetings educated folk.

I've had a bit of a scout around under the bonnet this arvo, and I can't find a clear cut easy route through the firewall to run cables.

I want to run the following cables...

1) Lead from driving lights.
    2) Aerial lead for UHF
    3) Heavy Duty cable from battery to rear (cargo area) for the fridge.

After any advice, particularly pictures as to where and how you've managed to get through the firewall without incident.

Thanks in advance,
    Daz
    COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia
  • Tom80
    • Dec 2007

I put all my cables through the main loom grommet, there is plenty of room to run more cables through it, I can't get photo's at the moment as the aux battery covers it up, but it is left of the engine (pax side), about 50cm down from the top of the firewall, you can't miss it. 2 bolts to undo it then un-tape it, put your cables through and retape. (I used self amalgamating tape).
    2007 Black NS DiD Pajero LWB.
    ARB air compressor, Dual batteries (Redarc)
    ARB Bar, Warn Winch, Uniden UHF015sx, tow bar 2" lift lightforce XGT's.

Comment

• Moth
      • Jun 2009
      • Gold Coast

There's also a solid grommet in the firewall near the main wiring loom that you can use. Apparently this is a left over hole in the firewall where the aerial cable went through in the NP model. I punched a hole in it to run the cables for my UHF. Bit of silicone and it was all sealed.
      MY09 NT Pajero VRX DiD Auto, Gunmetal, Smart Bar, TJM XGS 50mm lift, Icom IC-400Pro, Onroad OEM 18" Alloys with OEM Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 265/60 R18, Offroad OEM 17" Steels with Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70 R17

Comment

• Filbee
        • Sep 2008
        • Jerrabomberra, NSW (just over the border to Canberra, ACT.) Suburb of Queanbeyan.

Thru firewall

Hey Dazza, like Tom80 suggested, nearly all Paj owners run their cables through the main grommet locate on firewall immediately back from the battery. Just make sure that you keep it neat to reduce dust and damage to remaining cables, aerials etc. Filbee
        (Feb) Pearl White 08 NS VRX (25th Anniv) DiD; Coopper H/T Plus; MM Alloy Bar; tyre lifter kit; Bluetooth; IPF900 spots; ICOM IC440 UHF; ARB Air Compressor (CKMP12) Kit; Waeco 60lt; RV4 Oztent and Ozpod; Rhino roof rack/cross bars. Trek Tech single shelf & 35/65 split cargo barrier; TJM battery rack with 80amphr; DS40 fridge slide; Coilrite bags; Oztent/Rhino Foxwing awning; Honda 2kVA; ChipIt EGT kit and race pipe.
        Towing 2008 20ft Jayco Stirling O/B fitted with TyreDog TPMS.

Comment

• FamilyMan
          • Oct 2009

I've just run my battery cable through a hole underneath where the second battery tray goes. It is just outboard of the main loom. There is a rubber plug in it and it can be filled nicely with a 16mm or 5/8" cable grommet, or you could drill a hole through the existing plug. Comes out nice and easy above the passenger footwell near the side wall and is an easy run from there down to a plastic cable duct down the passenger side to the rear.

The nice part about that route is not needing to bust into that already sizeable cable bundle and reseal it.

There was a very tempting looking hole in the mudguard inner skin, and a similarly sizeable white plastic grommet-filled hole in the passenger area but I couldn't find a path between them.

Comment

• Dazza.
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Northern Territory

Thanks all

Much appreciated.
            COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by Tom80 View Post
              I put all my cables through the main loom grommet, 2 bolts to undo it then un-tape it, put your cables through and retape. (I used self amalgamating tape).
              Hey Tom, I doubt the NT is different to the NP but I didn't have to undo the bolts, just removed the factory tape seal and with a bit of persuasion, poked my cables thru (a light coat of silicon oil helps). There is quite a few extra ones in mine now. Be wary of the self amalgamating tape. Its bloody good stuff but if you ever need to remove it once its amalgamated, your going to have a hard time to remove it.

Shane.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Mike DiD
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007

The danger with running an aerial cable directly beside the existing wire loom is that the UHF signal could interfere with the ECU signals.
                Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• brett
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

As mike side, to be on the safe side run antenna cable through the small grommet that used to be used for the radio antenna cable, and run all the other wires through the big main loom one. And it's much easier if you undo the two bolts and take it off the firewall.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X