• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newbie511
    • Aug 2020
    • Millfield

2001 Exceed -what do I need to know?

Hi, I’m about to become a Pajero owner, we are getting a 2001 Exceed in what appears to be really excellent condition. It has done 320000, so it’s up there. Petrol, auto, v6. I’m wondering what I might need to know in order to get as much trouble free motoring out of this vehicle as possible? I’m aware that some people experience transmission failure around 300,000k but it doesn’t seem universal and given the price we are getting this for, I think worth taking the risk. So apart from servicing every six months anything and generally taking care of the vehicle, what I should know or do?
    Many thanks!
    Last edited by Newbie511; 03-08-20, 06:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to add that the vehicle is a v6
  • e32lover
    • Nov 2011
    • Melbourne

Congrats! Great car. I love the high quality plastics and thick leather seats compared to the newer ones.

Just check all the usual stuff. open the oil cap and check the dipstick for milky resedue (don't think they are known for blowing head gaskets)

Floor it and make sure no black smoke comes out the back

Make sure the aircon works (it should be ice cold. My 20 year old paj has the best ac of any car Ive owned)

Make sure the brakes work properly and they don't lose power as you're breaking.

Check when the timing belt was done.

Play around with the transfer lever. I think it is a bit of a finicky system but you should be able to change from 2wd to 4wd on the fly, and the system should engage or disengage within maybe 20 seconds max. Stop and put it in low range, centre diff lock and drive around for a bit, make sure that all works and that it changes in and out of the low range gears properly.

They are a pretty clunky car so don't worry tooooo much about random squeaks and bumps.

Make sure it doesn't feel like it's going to stall at any point during the test drive.

Change ALL fluids as soon as you get the car.

Good luck, and have fun!
    NM- 33.1's, 2" Lift, Tranny, diff and TC breathers, underbody protection

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

E32Lover's comments above are good advice. One thing he didn't say was to only put it into 4hLC or 4Llc (centre diff locked) on looses surfaces eg gravel or dirt, otherwise you will get windup of the transmission.

At this mileage and age, the valve stem seals may he hardened up and leaking slightly. Not a major drama, but to check this, have the engine warmed up and let it go one the over-run - going down along hill with the engine braking, and then when safe, flatten the accelerator and look in the mirror, and if the seals are stuffed, you will see a lot of blue smoke out the back. If they are leaking, blue smoke is about the worst thing that can happen, but it will be reassuring to check that it is not doing this.

Check the service book (for what that is worth!) and see the last time the timing belt was changed. The belt has to be replaced every 5 years or 100000 km, whichever comes first. If the timing belt fails, the valves will hit the pistons and make major damage. Timing belt kits usually come with a sticker which I used to place on the timing belt cover so that there was a reminder as to when to replace the belt again. Check to see if there is a sticker somewhere. If you are going to replace the spark plugs (they should be replaced every 100000 km as well), buy a new set of High Tension leads for the spark plugs as well, because the leads will probably be hard and brittle. Access to the spark plugs and leads on the 3.5 engine is horrible - you have to start at the top and work your way down, stripping pieces off as you go.

Other obvious things like brake pads, CV joint rubber boots, shock absorbers leaking etc are easy to check.
      Last edited by erad; 03-08-20, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Check when the auto fluid was last replaced & what condition it is in now.

If it is old, I would change it. Make sure you use the correct fluid, as these boxes don't like old or wrong type of fluid.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Newbie511
          • Aug 2020
          • Millfield

Thanks all! Much appreciated, I will take all of that on board, and make sure I see to everything mentioned. Test drive tomorrow, hopefully all will be well!

Comment

• Terryo
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

All of the above and check the spare wheel lock. Make sure it works before your stuck somewhere with a flat tyre. They get full of dust and if not used regularly can jamb up. Other thing is the ignition key gets worn and won't release the pins in the lock. Push the key in and it should release, you don't turn the key to unlock it like a traditional lock.
            2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
            NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
            NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2016
              • Greater Sydney

Kust remember we are talking about a 20 year old vehicle here. It isn't going to perfect.

Comment

• Newbie511
                • Aug 2020
                • Millfield

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                Kust remember we are talking about a 20 year old vehicle here. It isn't going to perfect.
                Definitely not looking for perfection, just wanting to get a few good years out of it, as many as possible!

Comment

• Newbie511
                  • Aug 2020
                  • Millfield

Originally posted by Terryo View Post
                  All of the above and check the spare wheel lock. Make sure it works before your stuck somewhere with a flat tyre. They get full of dust and if not used regularly can jamb up. Other thing is the ignition key gets worn and won't release the pins in the lock. Push the key in and it should release, you don't turn the key to unlock it like a traditional lock.
                  Thank you very much for the tips. Appreciated!

Comment

• Having Fun
                    • Jun 2015
                    • Adelaide

G'day Newbie511,

The only thing I can think to add to the above of off the top of my head is to make sure that the "check engine light" illuminates when you turn the key on before you start the engine & then goes out when you start the engine.

If it doesn't, you'll have no way of knowing if there's any codes (faults) logged in the computer, as the car isn't OBD2 compliant.

If it doesn't light up when the key is turned on, that would be a red flag to me.

Comment

• Newbie511
                      • Aug 2020
                      • Millfield

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                      G'day Newbie511,

The only thing I can think to add to the above of off the top of my head is to make sure that the "check engine light" illuminates when you turn the key on before you start the engine & then goes out when you start the engine.

If it doesn't, you'll have no way of knowing if there's any codes (faults) logged in the computer, as the car isn't OBD2 compliant.

If it doesn't light up when the key is turned on, that would be a red flag to me.
                      It does!
                      I just drove it, what a beauty!

Comment

• Lance
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • Melbourne

Ya like the Paj Huh
                        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Having Fun