• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elcidra
    • Feb 2020
    • Sydney

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
    there is none other than Mitsi installing a replacement airbag
    Why does Mitsi need to do the installation?

Comment

• arrow
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by elcidra View Post
      Why does Mitsi need to do the installation?
      Yes, beat me to it!! Who replaces the airbag in a Mitsi of any sort that has had a minor prang enough to set the airbag off? I’d be surprised if a panel beater repairing the damage couldn’t replace the airbag assembly. Maybe someone in that industry can confirm that?

Comment

• tomwithannl
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Maria Coast Tasmania.

I think (and I am sure he will correct me if I am wrong, but this is the way I read it) stumagoo means the only way that this recall could satisfy EVERYONE would be for MMAL to issue (install) replacement airbags.

Just Cruzin: I'm reading between the lines, but at this stage I'm looking for a solution that keeps everybody happy including the litigants.

stumagoo: there is none other than Mitsi installing a replacement airbag -

Tom
        Last edited by tomwithannl; 25-03-20, 09:16 AM. Reason: grammar revise
        1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
        1953 Morris Minor ute
        1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
        2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• Just Cruzin
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2014
          • Pakenham

Just received my rego renewal from Vicroads, mine is subject to the recall and they are not putting it off the road yet. I think there is more to the story than we are being told about the Queensland one that was refused renewal.
          99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• tomwithannl
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
            Just received my rego renewal from Vicroads, mine is subject to the recall and they are not putting it off the road yet. I think there is more to the story than we are being told about the Queensland one that was refused renewal.
            Totally agree! The understanding I have is they can't do anything while it is a voluntary recall, as there is no time limit to comply with the recall terms. It is only after the recall becomes compulsory that a time frame is put in place for completion. After that time has expired, and only after, I believe, a 30 day warning can a rego be cancelled. (and even that, I don't believe has ever happened before in Australia ?) An example of this would be the COMPULSARY Takata airbag recall which is totally different to the recall affecting the NL.
            But then again I may be proven wrong.

Tom
            1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
            1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• 98NL GL
              • Oct 2011
              • Cairns

Yes I believe you are correct about Tom With an NL and his posts .... considering his situation with his vehicle strongly mirrors mine I am considering following his hints.... however in the short term the US owners have just started to get their recalll notices and they state basically that mitsi are working on a solution and to hold fire for their next letter
              Exactly as stated on the letter I posted here previously from Japan VIN check link which quoted that ". there is an arrangement for parts." So waiting
              XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
              1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery.
              1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, INVECS TIPTRONIC AUTOMATIC GEARBOX, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES, ROOF RACK.
              2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK

Comment

• elcidra
                • Feb 2020
                • Sydney

.... however in the short term the US owners have just started to get their recalll notices and they state basically that mitsi are working on a solution and to hold fire for their next letter
                Extracts from the March 2020 Recall Notice:

MMNA is making every effort to establish a remedy and will contact you again by mail with a follow-up recall notice when a remedy becomes available.

What you should do:

Once you receive your follow-up notice in the mail advising that a remedy is available, simply contact your local Authorized Mitsubishi dealer and schedule an appointment to have the repair performed, free of charge.

Also:

If you have already encountered a problem with the NADI Inflator and had it replaced as a result of this specific condition and have paid for the repair, you may send your original repair order or invoice, and original receipt/proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement consideration:

Comment

• Alex86
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Here and there

So, MMNA are making a fix.

MMA should too!

If I ever have to go in and actually discuss the recall, I’m taking this letter!
                  '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                  Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• tomwithannl
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Maria Coast Tasmania.

The following is from a discussion about Nadi airbag recalls on an American site and I just about spat my coffee out when I read it. It's a gem!

Steve L says:
                    March 17, 2020 at 12:49 pm
                    Hmmm…this worries me, I have two cars with 34 year old first-generation airbags. May be worse than nothing.

Report comment
                    N says:
                    March 17, 2020 at 1:10 pm
                    Or not, your mechanic may have stolen them years ago and replaced them with a resistor.

Report comment
                    RW ver 0.0.3 says:
                    March 17, 2020 at 1:32 pm
                    Wow, that really happens? We should have a massive inquiry, hunt them down, leave no stone unturned ........and thank them for their foresightedness :-D
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------
                    On a more serious note BMW in the UK have started buying back 97 - 99 BMW's with nadi-5at inflators (bam-pt1-0593) and there are many 10s of thousand of them in the UK.
                    Here is a comment from an owner:
                    " 12 March 2020
                    I was told by BMW that I was the first to take my car in re this recall. I was naturally very surprised as my 1998 318i was in its 22nd year. The outcome was that BMW have offered to buy back the car for a price a little over the market price. They also provided a hire car for 10 days while I found another car, and they have given my new car a health check which was very useful. As far as I understand it, the first cars to suffer from the problem were the facelift models introduced at the end of 1998. Ours was the first of these in the area being manufactured in November 1998. I understood the problem was that the airbag was liable to go off for little or no reason - but I might be wrong on this.
                    Altogether BMW have been pretty fair regarding this. The car was pretty old, but being the last car my parents owned was quite an heirloom. P Jackson Huddersfield"

--------------------------------------------
                    As far as the USA goes nowhere have they categorically said they will get replacement airbags, just that they will "Make every effort to establish a remedy and will contact you again by mail with a follow-up recall notice when a remedy becomes available."
                    I have got a "very" funny feeling that their "remedy" will be a buy back

Tom
                    1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• harry000
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Berwick

Been waiting 6 weeks now.

Was told last Thursday a case manager has been allocated. Was told Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning and this morning that the case manager would call me back same day.

Haven't heard anything. Getting seriously pissed off at this point.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2014
                        • Pakenham

The NL and NM air bag assemblies are the same, but not interchangeable because they use a different mounting system. However the inflator is (almost) . They use a different plug and wiring system, both a 2 wire but not matching. The NL plugs directly to the inflator and the NM uses a patch lead so you will need the skills and kahunas to patch in an aftermarket 2 pin plug.
                        If anyone can help me out with the wiring diagram for both the NL and NM and PM me I would be much appreciated and pass on anything I have learnt.
                        Push comes to shove I gave a 50/50 chance of getting it right.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2014
                          • Pakenham

More photos.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Just Cruzin
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2014
                            • Pakenham

Originally posted by harry000 View Post
                            Been waiting 6 weeks now.

Was told last Thursday a case manager has been allocated. Was told Tuesday morning, Wednesday morning and this morning that the case manager would call me back same day.

Haven't heard anything. Getting seriously pissed off at this point.
                            Was the dealer located close to your location because they are my local dealer?

Comment

• tomwithannl
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Just Cruzin
                              All good.
                              Edited as PM received.

Tom
                              Last edited by tomwithannl; 27-03-20, 04:49 PM.
                              1953 Morris Minor ute

Comment

• harry000
                                • Nov 2019
                                • Berwick

Originally posted by Just Cruzin View Post
                                Was the dealer located close to your location because they are my local dealer?
                                My local is Berwick Mitsubishi.

It isn't their fault it has taken this long though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X