• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talisker
    • Mar 2019
    • Victoria

How many KM';s travelled with/Without EGR delete

I am considering fitting an EGR delete mod to my NW, I do have a catch can fitted. The primary reason for me in fitting the delete is the soot that is going into the engine and the possible detrimental effect this could have on engine life however on the other side of the coin I wonder about the effect on the engine of having higher combustion chamber temperatures as the combustion will get more oxygen and burn hotter. Both are possibly bad for engine life.
    SO I was wanting to get an idea of how many km's people have got from their cars with or without a form of EGR delete. I would love to get as many responses as possible with no of KM;'s and whether you do or don't have a form of EGR delete fitted.
    Thanks in advance
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

There is a difference between heat and temperature.

EGR delete will not damage the engine due to heat.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Talisker
      • Mar 2019
      • Victoria

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      There is a difference between heat and temperature.

EGR delete will not damage the engine due to heat.
      I do believe heat and temperature are related :-).
      This engine was designed and tested to operate at a significantly lower temperature than it will run at with an EGR delete. The lower combustion temps are why you get a decrease in NOX emissions and is the main reason for the EGR. removal of the EGR does significantly increase combustion temperatures as a result of the heat created and the engine was never tested or designed for this hence my question to see how the engines hold up over 300K Plus km's versus with the std EGR.

It will only be in the long term that we will actually know whether the EGR delete makes sense the catch can reduce if not eliminated the sludge issue in the EGR and manifold.
      Hopefully, I will get some responses, thanks for your input though Cheers

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Talisker View Post
        This engine was designed and tested to operate at a significantly lower temperature than it will run at with an EGR delete. The lower combustion temps are why you get a decrease in NOX emissions and is the main reason for the EGR. removal of the EGR does significantly increase combustion temperatures as a result of the heat created and the engine was never tested or designed for this hence my question to see how the engines hold up over 300K Plus km's versus with the std EGR.

It will only be in the long term that we will actually know whether the EGR delete makes sense the catch can reduce if not eliminated the sludge issue in the EGR and manifold.
        Hopefully, I will get some responses, thanks for your input though Cheers

I reckon your trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Many people for years have blocked of the egr on their crd motors with no ill affects.Nearly every diesel shop that does ecu remapping delete the egr...now if this was detrimental to the motor why would they promote the disabling of it?
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Talisker
          • Mar 2019
          • Victoria

This is not a debate about whether or not its good to defeat the egr function. I am simply interested to see how many KM,s people are running up with an without an EGR.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• 4ePikanini
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • South Africa, East London

EGR is not deployed at full throttle and max boost when temperatures are at their highest.

EGR is only there to reduce NOx gasses. Deleting it will only have positive effects apart from emitting more NOx gasses.
            1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
            2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
            2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
            2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Talisker
              • Mar 2019
              • Victoria

Sorry but just wanted to see the KMs people are doing but seems a bit difficult.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Related, but different - just like mass and density are related, but different.

This engine was designed and tested to operate at a significantly lower temperature than it will run at with an EGR delete.
                Wrong.

The lower combustion temps are why you get a decrease in NOX emissions and is the main reason for the EGR.
                Right.

removal of the EGR does significantly increase combustion temperatures
                Right.

as a result of the heat created
                Wrong. Heat and temperature are different. Higher combustion temperature, but it doesn't make anything run hotter, because the amount of heat is well within the engine's capacity to dissipate it.

You need to understand the difference between heat and temperature. A small campfire coal at 1000 degrees contains much less heat than a large lump of iron at 600 degrees. Higher temperature / less heat versus lower temperature / more heat.

Drop each into a bucket of water, and see what happens to the water temperature. The water can absorb a small amount of heat from a higher temperature source much more easily than it can absorb a large amount of heat from a lower temperature source.

Similar principle with an EGR delete - a small amount of heat from elevated combustion temperatures under light load, versus masses of heat from lower combustion temperatures under heavy load. The engine is designed to dissipate the heat under heavy load, and can easily cope with any extra heat under light load.

Heat and temperature are different.

and the engine was never tested or designed for this
                Because it's not an issue. The engine is designed to cope with much more heat than will be generated by an EGR delete. Manufacturers would quite happily throw away all their EGR systems if they weren't required to meet emissions tests. EGR systems aren't required to manage engine heat dissipation.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not advocating that people rush out to install EGR deletes. But this argument about increased combustion temperatures causing issues is wrong. Worrying about the combustion temperatures under light throttle conditions isn't a valid reason to avoid disabling EGR.

Worrying about NOx emissions might be.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• wanderay
                  • Feb 2012
                  • Richmond NSW

FWIW I have done about 210,000 with egr working and catch can fitted at 150,000 after significant buildup and cleanout of manifold. Still running smooth and strong.
                  NT Pajero (white), Smartbar, Warn winch, LightForce Lights, Safari snorkel, Provent 200, Lovells MD with Aussie Ryder shocks, Optima main and Renogy lithium aux battery and 300w solar on roof with Victron 100/20 reg, Tvan Sport campertrailer.

Comment

• Talisker
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by wanderay View Post
                    FWIW I have done about 210,000 with egr working and catch can fitted at 150,000 after significant buildup and cleanout of manifold. Still running smooth and strong.
                    Thanks will be interesting to see what the highest km will be. Cheers

Comment

• Talisker
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Victoria

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                      Related, but different - just like mass and density are related, but different.

Wrong.

Right.

Right.

Wrong. Heat and temperature are different. Higher combustion temperature, but it doesn't make anything run hotter, because the amount of heat is well within the engine's capacity to dissipate it.

You need to understand the difference between heat and temperature. A small campfire coal at 1000 degrees contains much less heat than a large lump of iron at 600 degrees. Higher temperature / less heat versus lower temperature / more heat.

Drop each into a bucket of water, and see what happens to the water temperature. The water can absorb a small amount of heat from a higher temperature source much more easily than it can absorb a large amount of heat from a lower temperature source.

Similar principle with an EGR delete - a small amount of heat from elevated combustion temperatures under light load, versus masses of heat from lower combustion temperatures under heavy load. The engine is designed to dissipate the heat under heavy load, and can easily cope with any extra heat under light load.

Heat and temperature are different.

Because it's not an issue. The engine is designed to cope with much more heat than will be generated by an EGR delete. Manufacturers would quite happily throw away all their EGR systems if they weren't required to meet emissions tests. EGR systems aren't required to manage engine heat dissipation.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not advocating that people rush out to install EGR deletes. But this argument about increased combustion temperatures causing issues is wrong. Worrying about the combustion temperatures under light throttle conditions isn't a valid reason to avoid disabling EGR.

Worrying about NOx emissions might be.
                      I appreciate your comments.

Comment

• pharb
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Tyers,Vic

Egr introduces inert gas (exhaust) into inlet manifold at light, low power or cruise throttle conditions to reduce combustion temperatures to reduce amount of NoX produced, with the resultant increase in soot, incompletely burnt fuel which then needs a DPF to catch.

Maximum combustion temperatures reached at maximum fuel conditions, or basicaly maximum throttle, maximum load, maximum boost. Under these conditions EGR is not operating, regardless of whether fully functional, blocked, or defeated.

If EGR was open all the timeit would be different, but it isn't. If it was required to be open all the time you wouldn't need an EGR valve. The manufacture could use another method such as just inlet reduction or similar to reduce combustion temperatures.

The use of variable exhaust gas recirculation allows the manufacture to tune the engine for minimum emisssions at cruise conditions whilst maintaining maximum power output at full throttle conditions.
                        PCOV Member 1107.
                        Daily driver NX GLX
                        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Muzza
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Nsw

My old Pajero has now covered 280k plus, ( I still have contact with the owner), the EGR delete was done by me when the vehicle had less than 400km on it, the vehicle has towed a caravan thru out it’s life
                          Muzza
                          2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                          2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                          2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• Garc
                            • May 2015
                            • Perth

I’ve done about 50K Km with the delete and 40K Kms with catch can on a car now with 239K Kms. I get about 100ml of oil from the catch can in 10K Kms.
                            Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• reciprovac
                              • Jan 2011
                              • broadford Victoria, Australia

Egr delete

This is not a debate about whether or not its good to defeat the egr function. I am simply interested to see how many KM,s people are running up with an without an EGR.

2013 NW 75,000 km with SPC module,no problems at all.
                              Regards.
                              2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
                              Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X