• Show
Clear All
  • myth00n
    • Aug 2018
    • Melbourne

Purchasing a used Pajero GLX LWB (4x4)NW MY14 Manual

Hi everyone,

I am new on the forum.

I am in a dilemma of buying a used pajero.
    Please help me get some idea on wether or not to go ahead with the buy, here it goes:

I am in the process of buying a dealer used (originally used by Dept of defence) 54,867 driven Mitsubishi Pajero GLX LWB (4x4)NW MY14 Manual for $28,000.

When I ran a car history report there was a "possible odometer rollback"
    Kilometres Date reported Alerts
    54,867 14/05/2019 Possible Odometer Rollback
    58,824 13/12/2018
    54,629 14/09/2018

Looks like a few thousand kilometres (is this a minor thing or something I must consider?), I think the car is in a fairly good condition from what I have seen. Din't look at the underbody so can't confirm if it has been driven off-road. Tires have another 6-8mm life.

Will have a test drive tomorrow, anything in particular I should check for apart from the regular (few highway miles, some suburb miles and a reverse, listen for squeaks and feel the suspension etc) .

Following are my questions:
    Is the price quoted fair for a car like this?
    Should I be concerned about the odometer rollback issue?
    Is there anything during my next inspection / test-drive that is like a must do or a must check.

Tried looking for a user review of the car but couldn't find one, could any one point me in the right direction?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
    Mithun.
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

I would wonder if the most recent mileage is a typo? It will be easy to check when you view the car.

I can’t imagine someone going to the trouble of winding the speedo back such a small amount. (But definitely check)
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      I would wonder if the most recent mileage is a typo? It will be easy to check when you view the car.

I can’t imagine someone going to the trouble of winding the speedo back such a small amount. (But definitely check)

64867 Would be my guess...typo as suggested.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• myth00n
        • Aug 2018
        • Melbourne

Really wishing that it is a typo. But, I am quite confident about the odometer reading, as this was the value given in the ad and by the dealer (which is around 54867).

I spoke to him and he said that it is not possible and the report could be wrong.

Comment

• Talisker
          • Mar 2019
          • Victoria

DOD Pajero

Let me know which dealer the car is at we just bought one of the DOD cars so before I tell you what I think generally I will answer your questions:
          ---------------------------------
          Following are my questions:
          Couldnt see you mention the price ??
          Should I be concerned about the odometer rollback issue?
          You have to have some concern but what is the logbook service history if its completed by a Mitsubishi dealer can you contact them to verify the details. When we were looking only a month ago we were weary of some of the service records and who had serviced the vehicle, i.e some were serviced by fleet people on even was service by a company for whom we could only find a mobile ph no of course that does not mean his work was bad but still surprising.. even if done by Mitsu there is no guarantee
          Is there anything during my next inspection / test-drive that is like a must do or a must check.
          A lot of the DoD cars have done a fair bit of towing have a look at how badly worn the towball is, ours didnt have a lot of chrome not knowing what it towed its difficult to say how/if this is bad but something to bear in mind
          Some did a lot of corrugated road driving and all vehicles we looked at had suffered where door seals etc meet the body where paint was often rubbed thru the car we stelled on didnt have a lot of this though.

OK My experince
          Service history, really check this we had vehciles that had completely missed a service i.e got serviced in 35000KM instead of 17000. look at who did the servcing as well and make sure you were happy with all this.
          Value of Pajero GLX Manual if this is the model you are looking at. I personally love manuals although its a pity its not a 6 speed with a lower fisrt and reverse gear the manual is great to drive. Note that it does have quite a high first so you wont be taking off on a steep slope with a heavy load and the reverse is also high geared so nice slow low range reversing is not an option unless you are on an unmade surface due to the 4WD low range locking the centre diff. It seeems there are very few manuals around , no one wants to buy them, as I said I love ours but there is very little market so this will affect resale value not an issue if you intend to hang onto it. I could not see how all the extra money was justified on an auto although most of the auto's are a higher spec.
          the GLX is a low spec model I love it but again may affect resale value as people tend to want the higher specced vehicles.
          I did a full fluid change, although supposedly just service by a Mitsu dealer the engine oil was shocking its nowhere near what it looked like since I have put 5000KM on it so an not sure how considering it was serviced 1500km ago why ythe oil was dirty.
          The gearbox, trabsfer case and rear diff had varying degrees of metal wear particles which I wasnt enthused about. It was just the pasty grey stuff so no metal bits but it left me wondering how often the oils were changed or how much hard work its done. Still you never know this with any car until you change the fluids.

Our car has a leaky fuel pipe (note these can only be removed 5 times before they must be replaced) but the dealer is paying for our local Mitsubishi dealer to replace the pipe so thats good. An advantage of buying from a good dealer.

Have a look under the vehicle we looked at one that must have had 40 litres of mud still attached around the brakes and up inside the body wasn't impressed the dealer didn't notice it.

On all, cars we drove the rear door hinges needed tightening again a sign they have been driven over some rough roads. Note though we dont have any cabin noises and the rear door since the adjustment is fine.

Our car had done 85000KM full-service history at Mitsubishi every 17000km or less its a 2014. we paid 25K I just couldn't find any other vehicle Toyota or Pajero model that was the same value we had to spend at least 29 or 35K for a better spec auto and I can't see how its worth the money.

Given these are DoD and the people driving them cannot be seen to be flogging them I think they should be a good vehicle, how do you ever know how any car has been driven. As always go for the best example, cleanest outside and inside that you can find and make sure the service record is what it should be.

Budget for a full fluid change of everything an fitting a catch can.

Let me know if I can give you any more info if you tell me the dealer I may remember the car.
          Cheers

Comment

• myth00n
            • Aug 2018
            • Melbourne

Thank you Talisker for taking time out and sharing your experience.
            Let me know which dealer the car is at we just bought one of the DOD cars
            Ringwood Haval Dealer (Melbourne)
            Couldnt see you mention the price ??
            Price quoted: $28,000
            what is the logbook service history
            The logbook service history looks good (I dont think the ex-owner ever missed a service except the last one), All the services were carried out / serviced and sealed / stamped by authorized Mitsubishi service center, except for the most recent service which was done at 52000KMs which does not have a Mitsubishi seal / stamp. Looks like someone scribbled the KM Reading (may be not an authorized workshop) in that spot, i can give more details tomorrow morning.
            Our car has a leaky fuel pipe
            How did you find out about this?
            the GLX is a low spec model I love it but again may affect resale value as people tend to want the higher specced vehicles.

Our car had done 85000KM full-service history at Mitsubishi every 17000km or less its a 2014. we paid 25K I just couldn't find any other vehicle Toyota or Pajero model that was the same value we had to spend at least 29 or 35K for a better spec auto and I can't see how its worth the money.
            I hope you are fully satisfied with your purchase, is it a manual? Some people swear by Auto-Transmission but i would beg to differ as M/T give you an additional degree of control (minus the stick shifting of-course - personal opinion)
            It may sound strange, but i love to drive manuals as-well.
            I just want the basics and reliability more than anything (which in my understanding is a very subjective thing), after this i plan to drive it for at-least 5~10 years.
            Given these are DoD and the people driving them cannot be seen to be flogging them I think they should be a good vehicle, how do you ever know how any car has been driven. As always go for the best example, cleanest outside and inside that you can find and make sure the service record is what it should be.
            I would agree with this and I must say that the car has been maintained exceptionally well, very few scratches.
            Haven't looked at the under-body, will make sure i check it and update my findings tomorrow.
            I will also have a look at how badly worn the tow-ball is, would have never looked at this!
            Budget for a full fluid change of everything an fitting a catch can.
            How much would it cost me for a full fluid change? Should i get it done assuming that the previous service was not carried out? what all fluids?
            Catch Can and Fuel Filter are on the top of my to-do list in case i purchase.
            Let me know if I can give you any more info if you tell me the dealer I may remember the car.
            Ringwood Haval Dealer (Melbourne)

Comment

• Talisker
              • Mar 2019
              • Victoria

I think we found the Haval dealer very unhelpful especially when we started to drill down on service history maybe they have learnt or you have a different sales guy.

if you look at the fuel rail which has all the fuel pipes coming out of it and a pressure sensor on the end you will notice a film of greasy dust where a pipe is leaking. the problem is given the fuel rail pressure a leak can only get worse so very happy its being fixed. just found out today our battery is on the way out so if you can get agreement to a battery check by someone that has a decent tester. Ours was is 2014 too so battery is due.

Yes we got a manual and I do prefer it to an auto even with the caveats, I have always disliked the complexities of auto's especially in a $WD ok call me old fashioned an out of touch but I like driving the manual. I was disappointed with the fluid change and the metal but everything runs fine, I was told by the Mitsubishi deal;er doing the fuel pipe that they should have a valve clearance check at 50,000KM ( note I am not real sure that this is correct I have heard other numbers) and I am going to get that done and they do an inlet clean at the same time. I will fit a provent which seems to generally stop the sooting issue. Worth looking to see if the valves have been done as it requires removal of all injector pipes etc and is something you will need to budget for ASAP.

Given we made 25K for our 85,000KM model your price sounds about right to me.

We also looked to get one whose internals and body were in real good condition Bendigo Mitsubishi has one and it's shocking inside, its been driven on so many corrugations the engine cover has rubbed thru the bonnet sound dampening.

Good luck let me know if I can be of more help.

Comment

• myth00n
                • Aug 2018
                • Melbourne

The dealer that we spoke to in Haval goes by the name of Trevor, i must say that he has been really helpful.

Which means i am looking at a fairly reasonable price, just that i am a little concerned about the odometer rollback, though i think this is not something that i should break my head around a lot.

Thank you for your updates, i will test drive the car and update you on the condition, probably upload some pictures.

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Not a 100% check, but look at the tyres. The tread depth, uneven tread wear. Are they the same brand? If the tyres are well worn, but all the same brand, there is a possibility that the Odo reading is genuine. Original tyre size is 265//65/17. (maybe an 18" option). If 265/70 or 265/75 are fitted, the vehicle MAY have been used in rough country.

Are the tyres AT or LT? If they are original highway tread tyres, it is likely that the vehicle has not been into too much rough stuff in its previous life, but not a 100% guarantee.

Take the vehicle on a rough road (if possible) and see how noisy the suspension is. Does the steering pull one way or another? Look at the rear tyres (all of them actually, including the spare) and check for wear on the inner edge of the tread. When towing with a heavy load, the rear tyres develop negative camber, and wear the inner edges of the tread.

Look at the spare tyre mounting. Is the spare lifted? You can tell by comparing the radius of the tyre relative to the rear cover. If they are not concentric, the spare has been lifted and the vehicle has probably towed a trailer. Not a big deal, but a further indicator.

Is the suspension lifted? The original suspension has black springs & shock absorbers. Aftermarket suppliers generally paint their stuff bright colours so that people can say "I have fitted XXXX brand stuff". Again, no big deal, but it gives a hint as to its previous usage.

If the suspension is standard, it is possible that the vehicle has not been in too much rough stuff. My NW has not had that much rough stuff in its 110000 km, but it has towed my caravan about 30000 km. Simply towing a caravan or heavy trailer doesn't mean it has been thrashed to death. At least you are not concerned about the automatic transmission failing. Exactly how much life is left in the clutch is another matter. I know with mine, I expect at least another 300000 km from the clutch.

If possible, look at the brake pads. If they are still good, they may have been replaced, or they may be like mine - again I expect to get 300000 km from the pads because of the way I drive (not in the city and always long country roads).

Are the bash plates original? If the vehicle has aftermarket bash plates, it may have been in rough stuff, but if they are original (thin metal or plastic, black), then there is a chance that the vehicle may not have bad a rough life. Again, just because aftermarket bash plates are fitted doesn't mean it has been thrashed, but it is a sign it may have spent some time in rough country.

Look behind the dust seals, especially on the rear door. If there is red dust embedded there, the vehicle has been outback. If it is relatively clean, it is normal and if it is spotless, the dealer has been there and removed evidence.....

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the previous history (unless the vehicle has been in a smash). They are tough. Also, if a driver flogs a vehicle at excessive speeds, he is going to get booked soon enough (unless it is a police vehicle) and I reckon they wouldn't be using manual transmissions anyway. Obviously, no guarantees, but I would say "go for it".

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by myth00n View Post
                    Really wishing that it is a typo. But, I am quite confident about the odometer reading, as this was the value given in the ad and by the dealer (which is around 54867).

I spoke to him and he said that it is not possible and the report could be wrong.

I would wait until I get the actual real mileage. If the mileage has indeed gone backwards...I wouldnt touch the car and walk away. Something shonky going on.
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• bill65
                      • Feb 2013
                      • melton

Servicing

Hi I always thought defence department service their own cars I would say the stamp in the book is dodgy. and they are service I’m looking at a ex defence one too and I’m not worried about the books

Comment

• myth00n
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Melbourne

Post inspection test-drive thoughts

Thank you for all you help and suggestions!

Originally posted by erad View Post
                        Not a 100% check, but look at the tyres. The tread depth, uneven tread wear. Are they the same brand? If the tyres are well worn, but all the same brand, there is a possibility that the Odo reading is genuine. Original tyre size is 265//65/17. (maybe an 18" option). If 265/70 or 265/75 are fitted, the vehicle MAY have been used in rough country.

Are the tyres AT or LT? If they are original highway tread tyres, it is likely that the vehicle has not been into too much rough stuff in its previous life, but not a 100% guarantee.

Take the vehicle on a rough road (if possible) and see how noisy the suspension is. Does the steering pull one way or another? Look at the rear tyres (all of them actually, including the spare) and check for wear on the inner edge of the tread. When towing with a heavy load, the rear tyres develop negative camber, and wear the inner edges of the tread.

Look at the spare tyre mounting. Is the spare lifted? You can tell by comparing the radius of the tyre relative to the rear cover. If they are not concentric, the spare has been lifted and the vehicle has probably towed a trailer. Not a big deal, but a further indicator.

Is the suspension lifted? The original suspension has black springs & shock absorbers. Aftermarket suppliers generally paint their stuff bright colours so that people can say "I have fitted XXXX brand stuff". Again, no big deal, but it gives a hint as to its previous usage.

If the suspension is standard, it is possible that the vehicle has not been in too much rough stuff. My NW has not had that much rough stuff in its 110000 km, but it has towed my caravan about 30000 km. Simply towing a caravan or heavy trailer doesn't mean it has been thrashed to death. At least you are not concerned about the automatic transmission failing. Exactly how much life is left in the clutch is another matter. I know with mine, I expect at least another 300000 km from the clutch.

If possible, look at the brake pads. If they are still good, they may have been replaced, or they may be like mine - again I expect to get 300000 km from the pads because of the way I drive (not in the city and always long country roads).

Are the bash plates original? If the vehicle has aftermarket bash plates, it may have been in rough stuff, but if they are original (thin metal or plastic, black), then there is a chance that the vehicle may not have bad a rough life. Again, just because aftermarket bash plates are fitted doesn't mean it has been thrashed, but it is a sign it may have spent some time in rough country.

Look behind the dust seals, especially on the rear door. If there is red dust embedded there, the vehicle has been outback. If it is relatively clean, it is normal and if it is spotless, the dealer has been there and removed evidence.....

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the previous history (unless the vehicle has been in a smash). They are tough. Also, if a driver flogs a vehicle at excessive speeds, he is going to get booked soon enough (unless it is a police vehicle) and I reckon they wouldn't be using manual transmissions anyway. Obviously, no guarantees, but I would say "go for it".

There was no uneven wear, They were all the same brand, The spare tyre is still unused. Tyre size is 265/65/17.
                        I think they are the stock Duellers AT tyres.

I showed the report to them and they said the report was wrong, the only thing they quote for anything is "ex dod vehicle - its not possible, the report is wrong."

However, i did take the test-drive and I was very impressed with the clutch action, acceleration, breaking, steering was pretty straight, assuming that the previous owneer took quite a good care.

Suspension is stock.

I couldn't really get a good look at the break pads. from what i saw on all four, i think there is quite a lot of life left.

I think it is the original bash plates, doesn't seem like it was taken much off-road.
                        But i think it was used for towing

I couldn't find any, but what is the problem if the vehicle has been outback?

Obviously, no guarantees, but I would say "go for it".
                        Thank you! I am very impressed and would really like to take a leap of faith.
                        Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                        I would wait until I get the actual real mileage. If the mileage has indeed gone backwards...I wouldn't touch the car and walk away. Something shonky going on.
                        The actual mileage would be 54k, they just keep quoting DOD. Now i dont know if the report is right.

Originally posted by bill65 View Post
                        Hi I always thought defence department service their own cars I would say the stamp in the book is dodgy. and they are service I’m looking at a ex defense one too and I’m not worried about the books
                        I saw the history, looks pretty genuine, it even has the next service sticker with service alert at 67000kms

Comment

• erad
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Cooma NSW

From memory, the original tyres as delivered was not A/T tyres, but if the spare is unused, and is also an A/T, then maybe DoD ordered the Pajero with A/T tyres. Regarding the brake pads, they may be original or could be replacements. The reason I raised this issue was that if they were worn thing, it would possibly be genuine mileage - it all depends on where and how the vehicle has been driven. 68000 km in the city would wear pads a lot faster than what I do.

If the vehicle has been used for towing, so what? I think that it is nearly impossible to cook the engine (not so with an automatic transmission). Obviously, you can kill anything, but if it has been a towing vehicle, the clutch would be the weakest link. Be prepared to have to replace the clutch some time. When????

Red dust behind the seals is a good indication that the vehicle may have been in the Kimberley or Pilbara - it could have been a mining vehicle. If it was, they would probably have a mining specification as new. Sorry, cannot remember the differences, but they would have included cargo barriers, probably a bullbar and probably not a towbar.

Original bashplates are probably a good sign - unless someone has removed heavier ones to fit onto a newer Pajero. If the previous owners didn't fit heavier bashplates, they probably didn't intend going into too much rough stuff. A mining vehicle probably would have had heavier bashplates as standard.

All up, it seems as if this is a reasonably straight vehicle. Crash history is the main unknown now. If all clear, I would say Go for it.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

Don't need to go to the Kimberley or Pilbara to get red dust. We got it at Cobar driving to see Aboriginal cave paintings and again driving the back way from Cobar to Condobolin. Red dust all the way. i think there maybe still some in with the jack.

Comment

• Talisker
                              • Mar 2019
                              • Victoria

Remember this is a DOD vehjicle not private not mining

If you are happy with the vehicle go with it. As you an I know this is a DoD vehicle not mining etc etc. The only thing I could find on my 2014 Ex DOD GLX manual resembling a bash plate and it isnt one is the under engine plastic cover, none of the 3 other ex DoD vehicles had anything else either. If yours has a good interior and little to no rubbing of the door seals down to metal it is one of the better ones. As you know DoD doesnt service these and you do have one serviced by Mistubishi as we do for what thats worth but its got to be better than some unknown garage which I did find on some of the QLD ex DoD vehicles. Ours drives well yes the clutch will need doing at some point but no one can really predict when its good for now. The only downsides after 3 weeks with ours have been metal wear particles if rear diff T-case and gearbox and rear door is starting to squeak agin. Dont forget your valve adjustment make sure its been done otherwise that will set you back a bit.

All in all good value for money and you know it wasn't driven into the ground in fact its been driven ONLY by a trained driver so possibly better than a private car. I have spoken to folk in the army and they just can't get away with thrashing a vehicle if they are a driver they get in a bit of trouble. I reckon the mileage is a mistake in the book for the DoD to have adjusted the odometer is beyond their means or desires just no point. It probably either came from Albury or Puckapunyal, most of the DoD vehicles in Vic seem to have.
                              Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X