• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyNH91
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Adelaide Hills

Rear Axle Oil Leak

The rear axle on my NH Pajero is leaking and needs regular top ups.

The leak appears to be coming from the weld seam on the axle under the coil spring on the drivers side.

Any recommendations for how to repair the leak?
    Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by AndyNH91 View Post
    The rear axle on my NH Pajero is leaking and needs regular top ups.

The leak appears to be coming from the weld seam on the axle under the coil spring on the drivers side.

Any recommendations for how to repair the leak?
    OK, who can say "conflict of interest"?

Full disclosure. I have a rear axle from my NJ Shorty taking up space in my garage, and I want it gone. 198k km when it was pulled (for a conversion project that is currently stalled), to the best of my knowledge it's in good order for it's age (and low km). 4.875 ratio, LSD believed to be working well. See https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=63067.

So.

If it's a leak from a welded seam, the obvious answer is to get it welded. How to avoid igniting oil in the housing, or causing the housing to distort? That's beyond my area of expertise, but I can put you in touch with somebody in Adelaide who might give you a decent quote.

Alternatively, if 4.875:1 is the right ratio for your NH, come & check it out. If you want it, I'm thinking a nominal price in the order of a carton of beer. I'm near Tea Tree Gully.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• AndyNH91
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Adelaide Hills

Thanks for the reply, I had a bit of a chuckle 🙂

How do I know what diff ratio I have? I have a NH GLX 3LV6 manual.

When replacing the axle, how long should I allow and are there any special tools or special considerations that I would need?

Many thanks
      Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by AndyNH91 View Post
        Thanks for the reply, I had a bit of a chuckle 🙂

How do I know what diff ratio I have? I have a NH GLX 3LV6 manual.

When replacing the axle, how long should I allow and are there any special tools or special considerations that I would need?

Many thanks
        SWB 3 litre V6 manual I would expect to have 4.875 diff ratios. One of the aluminium compliance plates under your bonnet should include your diff ratio (without the decimal point). Look for 4875, or 4625, or perhaps 4636, or (unlikely) 529x?

When the swap happened under Shorty I had a mechanic mate helping out, and there were other distractions going on - so he did a lot of the work while I wasn't really paying attention.

GLX I doubt would have ABS - Shorty didn't. That shouldn't be an issue.

The mechanical bolt out / bolt in seemed pretty straight forward - the big issue was with the brakes. Disconnecting the handbrake required disassembly inside the drums - remove the calipers, remove the discs, pull things apart. Wasn't me... I don't think special tools were required. Since you're pulling the calipers off to access the handbrake, I don't think there is any need to disturb the hydraulics - but it wasn't me...

I think 4 - 6 hours if you haven't done it before, and are reasonably mechanically competent. Me, probably longer.

Come and have a look. No obligation.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• AndyNH91
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          SWB 3 litre V6 manual I would expect to have 4.875 diff ratios. One of the aluminium compliance plates under your bonnet should include your diff ratio (without the decimal point). Look for 4875, or 4625, or perhaps 4636, or (unlikely) 529x?

When the swap happened under Shorty I had a mechanic mate helping out, and there were other distractions going on - so he did a lot of the work while I wasn't really paying attention.

GLX I doubt would have ABS - Shorty didn't. That shouldn't be an issue.

The mechanical bolt out / bolt in seemed pretty straight forward - the big issue was with the brakes. Disconnecting the handbrake required disassembly inside the drums - remove the calipers, remove the discs, pull things apart. Wasn't me... I don't think special tools were required. Since you're pulling the calipers off to access the handbrake, I don't think there is any need to disturb the hydraulics - but it wasn't me...

I think 4 - 6 hours if you haven't done it before, and are reasonably mechanically competent. Me, probably longer.

Come and have a look. No obligation.
          Cheers!

I found the compliance plate under the bonnet as you suggested. I've got a 4.625 diff ratio unfortunately :-( The axle is for my GLX long wheelbase, so not entirely unexpected. I think GLS have a lower 4.875 ratio, presumably because the GLS came with larger tires.

Thanks for all the help, I'm getting brave enough to attempt the job. I'm off to Lonsdale tomorrow to scope out a replacement axle.

I've pulled the rear handbrake drums off previously, the most fiddly thing I found was the spring clips, they drove me nuts! I did a rear wheel bearing change which was a huge amount of work. I swore after that I would never replace a rear wheel bearing again and would replace the whole axle from the wrecker. I guess I'm about to find out whether it really is more or less work.
          Andrew

Comment

• AndyNH91
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Adelaide Hills

Sigh. Nil socks on axle housings with 4.625 diff ratios. Can I use an axle housing from a vehicle with a 4.875 diff ratio, such as a NH petrol GLS or diesel GLX and put my 4.625 diff in it?

Any suggestions on who could weld the housing up in Adelaide for a reasonable price? (North eastern suburbs preferably)
            Andrew

Comment

• AndyNH91
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Adelaide Hills

Does anyone have a name of someone who can lay a decent weld bead that wouldn't mind welding up my axle housing? I'll pay cash.

Looking for North Eastern Adelaide area, but will travel a bit further afield if needed.

Many thanks,

Andrew
              Andrew

Comment

• disco stu
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2018
                • Wollongong

You could even solder that one seeing it won't get overly hot. Not sure how close it is to something that the heat of welding could affect something else. I don't think it would be too hard to find somewhere that can weld. I figure any shop that does metal work would be able to sort you out. Probably even one of your mates could weld well enough to sort that out I'm sure

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X