• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garc
    • May 2015
    • Perth

DPF cleaning?

Is there a way to clean the DPF after removing it from the car? It looks like removing it is a relatively easy task and I think it would be good to do a clean before an outback trip. I’m hoping there is some sort of solvent which would dissolve the particles.
    Or, am I dreamin’.
    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.
  • Silverfox
    • Apr 2010
    • Adelaide

I dont know of any solvents to use for a "manual" clean and I'd be hesitant to use them anyway but why are you wanting to do this when the ECU is programmed to do this anyway.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Silverfox View Post
      I dont know of any solvents to use for a "manual" clean and I'd be hesitant to use them anyway but why are you wanting to do this when the ECU is programmed to do this anyway.
      A "closed" DPF collects soot, the regeneration process burns the soot to ash, which takes up less volume than the soot. The ash stays in the DPF, building up over time to the point where a regeneration can't restore sufficient "flow" and the DPF must be replaced.

A few years back a member on the VW Watercooled forum was playing with high pressure cleaning of the DPF, "back-flushing" the ash out. From memory, it improved the condition of the DPF, but he wasn't able to restore it to "as new" flow.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Silverfox
        • Apr 2010
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
        A "closed" DPF collects soot, the regeneration process burns the soot to ash, which takes up less volume than the soot. The ash stays in the DPF, building up over time to the point where a regeneration can't restore sufficient "flow" and the DPF must be replaced.

A few years back a member on the VW Watercooled forum was playing with high pressure cleaning of the DPF, "back-flushing" the ash out. From memory, it improved the condition of the DPF, but he wasn't able to restore it to "as new" flow.

Ok thanks.
        Thats interesting as I've always been under the impression that after the burn the particles are blown out the exhaust whilst in use. I thought I read that on this forum ages ago.

Good to know anyway.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Ok thanks.
          Thats interesting as I've always been under the impression that after the burn the particles are blown out the exhaust whilst in use. I thought I read that on this forum ages ago.

Good to know anyway.
          I guess it's possible that some ash is blown through, but my understanding is that the ash builds up over time - hence the specification of "low ash" oils, to reduce the build-up of residue.

A quick google found the following as just one example of the issue: https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf_ash.php
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Silverfox
            • Apr 2010
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            I guess it's possible that some ash is blown through, but my understanding is that the ash builds up over time - hence the specification of "low ash" oils, to reduce the build-up of residue.

A quick google found the following as just one example of the issue: https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf_ash.php

Ah excellent stuff thanks mate..

Had a quick read but will read more thoroughly when I get home.

Cheers for setting me straight.
            Last edited by Silverfox; 15-02-19, 01:31 PM. Reason: Error

Comment

• Johnnytheone
              • Nov 2017
              • Duncraig

There's an outfit called MTM Industrial Cleaning Solutions in Bellvue I looked into a while ago. They seemed legit and their website gives plenty of info. I seem to recall it was about $500 for the process. You have to take it to them and re-install yourself.
              I ended up going for the DPF delete, even though I felt guilty doing it. That cost $1600 including parts and the ECU remap. I opted for that as I never want to have a recurring issue with the bloody DPF system that leaves me stuck somewhere.
              As an aside I make to everyone now days - if your going remote cough up for recovery assistance. I had to use it once for a tow from Geraldton due to DPF issues; it saved me two grand!

Comment

• Garc
                • May 2015
                • Perth

Thanks. There is a Liqui Moly dpf cleaner but it’s scant on details. Good advice re insurance.
                Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• ziggypol
                  • Feb 2012
                  • Ferntree Gully

Originally posted by Garc View Post
                  Is there a way to clean the DPF after removing it from the car? It looks like removing it is a relatively easy task and I think it would be good to do a clean before an outback trip. I’m hoping there is some sort of solvent which would dissolve the particles.
                  Or, am I dreamin’.
                  Hi mate
                  I have done this in captiva and pajero successfully and this is how:
                  Take dpf out and find someone or some business that can put it in a oven at 500 -600celsius for an hour. Then using compressed air blow as much ash out as possible.
                  It can be finished with hose or pressure wash using water ( need good drying after)
                  Work for me as this unitsvare made for lifespan of a car only problem is ash that fill unit beyond regeneration.
                  PS.new unit in UK or USA is around 500-600$

Regards

Ziggy

Comment

• Stoneman
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • Melbourne

Ok thanks.

Good to know anyway.
                    They are, hence why they can last years if the system (sensors etc) is working properly

You can use brick cleaner and a pressure washer.

I did it with my cat a couple of years ago now
                    NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Stoneman
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2012
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by ziggypol View Post
                      Hi mate
                      I have done this in captiva and pajero successfully and this is how:
                      Take dpf out and find someone or some business that can put it in a oven at 500 -600celsius for an hour. Then using compressed air blow as much ash out as possible.
                      It can be finished with hose or pressure wash using water ( need good drying after)
                      Work for me as this unitsvare made for lifespan of a car only problem is ash that fill unit beyond regeneration.
                      PS.new unit in UK or USA is around 500-600$

Regards

Ziggy
                      It gets to 650 odd on the vechile at which time it’s cleaning itself.
                      Last edited by Stoneman; 16-02-19, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Stoneman
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • Melbourne

Don’t be fooled people by a gimmick sales pitch

$500 bucks to heat something up and blow it out, that’s a gold mine

Comment

• stumagoo
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Perth WA S.O.R

it seems really crazy to me that an item that is supposed to prevent pollution of particles into our atmosphere just burns them up and spits them out the back when its full/blocked..... and even crazier that something wsa put onto a vehicle that has no ability to be cleaned effectively if thats not the case..... especially with the price of new ones
                          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• Stoneman
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • Melbourne

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                            it seems really crazy to me that an item that is supposed to prevent pollution of particles into our atmosphere just burns them up and spits them out the back when its full/blocked..... and even crazier that something wsa put onto a vehicle that has no ability to be cleaned effectively if thats not the case..... especially with the price of new ones
                            Climate change

Comment

• Patagonia
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
                              When they burn in the dpf they are supose to complete combustion and turn into CO2+H2O, however there are concerns because if its not done correctly maybe they are emitting even smaller particles of soot that cannot be measured and with concecuenses that are not understood.

You can just clean the filter with water, its just soot and ash of not complete burning that is inside.
                              2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                              Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                              31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                              2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X