• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshF
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Brisbane

Did I read somewhere that Toyota on the new 2.8 which also have a closed DPF as is required under new regulations is now going to get a force burn switch on the dashboard to help minimise the issues they have been betting on the tuna, prado and hilux??
    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Merts
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2011
      • Bendigo Vic

For what it's worth, I've put 46k kms on my MQ Triton and the DPF has just done its thing with zero issues. There have been times when for a week or two the only driving was very short trips (as in between 3 and 10km around town) and the DPF light has never come on. The same sort of driving in my NS Pajero would always result in the light coming on and having to go for an otherwise unnecessary 20 minute drive to let it regenerate the DPF.
      Merts
      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• sam.cath
        • Dec 2014
        • Sunshine Coast

Dick01 you mention about an ECU remap & new exhaust being a good idea- is it legal to remove the DPF on the exhaust by replacing it, or is the expectation that if a new exhaust is required then the DPF with be reinstalled too??

Cheers,
        Sam
        2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
          Dick01 you mention about an ECU remap & new exhaust being a good idea- is it legal to remove the DPF on the exhaust by replacing it, or is the expectation that if a new exhaust is required then the DPF with be reinstalled too??

Cheers,
          Sam

About as legal as blocking your egr, putting on large tyres, having a light bar on top of your bull bar, using spaces on wheels, altering your exhaust, having dark tinted windows etc.etc. My mate bought an NS...first thing to go was the dpf pipe and a couple of sensors installed...runs beautifully for the 30,000+ kilometers. Never had a limp light and plenty of ecu remap places openly admit to blocking the egr.

This for a dpf delete pipe..."for racing purposes only"

and for ecu remap....https://chiptuning.com.au/dpf-removal-service/

Naturally the Pajero class at Bathurst sees a lot of Pajeros with this mod!!
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by sam.cath View Post
            is it legal to remove the DPF on the exhaust by replacing it, or is the expectation that if a new exhaust is required then the DPF with be reinstalled too??

Cheers,
            Sam
            Modifying or removing any emissions control systems is illegal. Even an EGR block. That said, how many do it and do not have to face the music? When dicko mentions an exhaust replacement, he means replacing with one without a dpf, therefore illegal. Not much point replacing the exhaust and re-inserting a dpf, which was the reason for the exhaust change in the first place.

And Spot01 has it correct. Active DPF in the NS, changed to passive in the early NT. Mid NT to MY16 NX had no dpf and now we are back to a dpf again from the MY17. Whether this new one is active or passive, I don't know.

It took some time before the NS dpf issues started raising its ugly head. I've heard a few stories on the passive NT dpf now as well. For all claiming the MY17 onwards dpf issues are sorted, I suggest you watch this space.

A dpf is essentially an air filter. It collects non gaseous particles (soot - which is solid). Adblue is a catalyst that converts Nox (a gas) into water/nitrogen. By running leaner mixtures, less soot is produced but Nox is increased. Therefore why the addition of adblue. They are both emission control devices, but act on different types of emissions, one solid, one gaseous.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              I've heard a few stories on the passive NT dpf now as well.
              What should I be looking out for?
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• sam.cath
                • Dec 2014
                • Sunshine Coast

Thanks for the replies guys.
                Appreciate learning more about this. All sounds quite grey with latest Paj's with DPF's.

Look forward to hearing what we need to look out for on our NT with a passive DPF too as per
                nj swb.

Cheers,
                Sam
                2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  What should I be looking out for?
                  No idea myself. There has been a couple of reports of NS like symptoms on the NT here on the forum and I have been asked privately by a couple of non forum members who were having issues with NT DPF's. I'm not on top of it, as I don't have a dpf, therefore didn't put a lot of effort into understanding the issues or resolution. I just mention I have heard of NT dpf issues, so I dont think the passive version is the magic bullet. All being equal, there is far, far less evidence of NT dpf issues compared to the auto NS.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• sam.cath
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Sunshine Coast

Cheers sharkcaver!
                    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Comment

• Mundy55
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Amok View Post
                      .....I now have a Ford ranger and if I do get dpf issues I'll just have it deleted. Off road use only, of course...
                      There are issues with the Ranger DPF, but not related to failure to burn. The problem is its propensity to collect grass etc and then ignite when the burn happens. There is a recall to correct this but there is then another problem. My son recently bought a Ranger and had underbody protection added. Trouble is, the protection Ford adds is so bulky it prevents the underbody protection from fitting.

Comment

• s311_bvm
                        • Oct 2011
                        • AUS

I thinks it’s fair to call the NX +Oct 16 builds, active DPF equipped. I have a 2017 NX and love it. I have had no problems with the DPF and generally speaking do not know that it exists. We do short and long trips in the Paj as it’s our only car. The only times I have known the DPF is there is when I have driven into the garage and closed the door behind me and smelt a burning smell and heard the DPF cooling down(contracting) as must have been in the middle of an active burn when switched off.

As we know there is no legal way of avoiding a DPF in +16 (Euro5/6) diesel equipped cars from any manufacturer. I like to justify the DPF existing by thinking just perhaps it will avoid another family member from getting cancer. The exhaust is noticeably cleaner and less smelly than other family member Pajero’s (NS and NW), and other diesel vehicles in the family.

I am very aware of the NS Pajero issues as the family member who had a NS had frequent failures, and had the EGR system and inlet manifold replaced under warranty, and on another occasion the manifold was acid cleaned. The NS was sold early to get rid of the frequent issues.

As we are approaching 2 years since NXs became available with DPFs, and as the 4N15 based Pajero Sport and Tritons also have DPFs, based on the lack of negative information I think it’s fair to say Mitsubishi has learnt something as they are definitely better than the NS days, and better than what Toyota is seeing with the 2.8 in Hilux, Prado and fortuner.

Back to my Paj, as I said I am happy with the DPF to date. My fuel consumption is higher than what I think it should be but I don’t think the DPF is causing that.
                        Last edited by s311_bvm; 12-08-18, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• garfield
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Moonta Bay SA

I have a NX 11/16 build, currently no issues re the DPF. 16000 km mainly highway use, I agree with other comments re fuel use, ( My fuel consumption is higher than what I think it should be.)
                          its fitted with catch can and egr lead.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X