• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flameho
    • Feb 2014
    • The Berra

NX TJM Bullbar and Mounting a Domin8rX

Hi all

Has anyone done this by themselves? Seems a hell of a job to get the winch in, access the mounting bolts, mount the control box.

Any info/tips/pics would be appreciated.

Flemo
  • Gord2stu
    • Jul 2018
    • Sydney

hi mate,

Did it on a landcruiser standard bar about twelve months ago before I sold it, ill be doing the exact same thing as you on a TJM bar in the next month or so. It wasnt that hard on the cruiser with plenty of room, I had to change the angle the clutch controls were at by pulling the winch apart an reassembling. Instructions included, it looked complicated but was easy, bit of care required not to damage the gasket.

The bolt pattern didnt match the bar, redrilling wasnt hard, and the control box fitted straight onto standard mounting holes on top of the bar. Imagining the TJM will have predrilled standard pattern that may fit, , if not thats simple enough.

Have you got the bar on yet? If theres not enough room to manoevre the winch up just pull the bar off, mount it and get some help to lift the bar back on. I did it by myself with the bar still on the cruiser, wasnt easy but jamming it up with my knees under it was enough to get a couple of bolts in.

I had a look today at my NX, i dont think wiring will be a big drama with holes in the grille etc unless you want to run a controller to the cabin. Im puzzling over how to get a UHF antenna neatly through the firewall, that might be a challenge.

I’ll watch this one with interest mate and swap ideas if you havent already done it when I do mine. Have a look at the post i just made, did you upgrade your suspension with the bar?

cheers
    stu

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Originally posted by Gord2stu View Post
      Im puzzling over how to get a UHF antenna neatly through the firewall, that might be a challenge.
      cheers
      stu
      Feed it through the rubber boot where the main wiring loom enters:

That's my uhf coax and a few additional wires I was feeding into the cabin you can see.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Gord2stu
        • Jul 2018
        • Sydney

"That's my uhf coax and a few additional wires I was feeding into the cabin you can see."...

Gold, thanks mate.

Comment

• Gord2stu
          • Jul 2018
          • Sydney

Flemo,

Was down at TJM Mildura today, they tell me near impossible to mount a winch without removing the bar first (outback bar). It was explained as quite a job, not much room at all. Job is a PITA not so much the getting the bar off, more the lining it up when back on (so I'm told). In any event, when they mount the bar for me if I get a domin8r in time they will install for $200 at the same time. Another local 4x4 ballparked about $300 to pull the bar off after the event, install the winch and put it all back on.

Worth it to get someone else to do it? Maybe...
          If my winch doesn't arrive in time for a TJM install I'll 50/50 do it myself or pay someone else.
          Please let me know what you do.

cheers
          stu

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

My quote for tjm bar and winch plus fitting..
            Attached Files
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Gord2stu
              • Jul 2018
              • Sydney

Flemo,

Have you made any progress on your winch install? My story so far is:

- I got the Domin8r in time for TJM to install with the bar. Get a call, first problem they tell me the control box won't fit on top of the bar, apparently will be too far back and contact the vehicle grille. Not very many solutions proposed, I ended up telling them to physically mount the winch and I'll do the box myself. If they are right I'll probably anderson plug the control box connections, keep the winch controller in the back and just plug it in / use it when required.

- second call was that the winch won't fit, clutch in the way. Bit of discussion, clutch rotated and it does, I haven't seen it yet but apparently the winch is physically mounted and I'll go with the above remote idea. Maybe.

I'll post some photos of the winch installed when I get it back if any use to you.

sg

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Gord2stu View Post
                Flemo,

Have you made any progress on your winch install? My story so far is:

- I got the Domin8r in time for TJM to install with the bar. Get a call, first problem they tell me the control box won't fit on top of the bar, apparently will be too far back and contact the vehicle grille. Not very many solutions proposed, I ended up telling them to physically mount the winch and I'll do the box myself. If they are right I'll probably anderson plug the control box connections, keep the winch controller in the back and just plug it in / use it when required.

- second call was that the winch won't fit, clutch in the way.
                Bit of discussion, clutch rotated and it does, I haven't seen it yet but apparently the winch is physically mounted and I'll go with the above remote idea. Maybe.

I'll post some photos of the winch installed when I get it back if any use to you.

sg

Good to know your dealing with professionals who do this for a living! WTF...
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Gord2stu
                  • Jul 2018
                  • Sydney

Just leaving it alone mate, that's the very abridged version of the conversation above.
                  Thats also why I'll do the box myself...

Not all bad though, got some good assistance from another member there re the dual battery setup that was part of my sale. That's another story when the dealer advised 110ah fitted, lucky I went in and checked. As this forum knows (and I now do as a new Pajero owner...) it's a bit hard to fit a full size under the hood, and the 80 odd ah battery proposed would have lasted me about 5 minutes. Bit more discussion and into the back cavity the big one will go, thats where i would have DIY'd it anyway. Guy was pretty good working through that, watch this space for how it pans out.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X