Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 06-02-13
Valued Member

I had a similar noise when reversing whilst turning then braking......it was the driver side cv joint.
Cheers, Jim.
99 nl gls 3.5l auto full leather & woodgrain trim, leather seats, ABS, chrome rear bumper and mirrors, split aircon, standard 50mm factory body lift, dual airbags and 277,000 km on clock, tranny and engine oil coolers. NEW: Reconditioned heads, new camshafts, new radiator, new water pump, New timing belt and tensioner. Brand new set of LT 265/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 771 AT. NG 3.0 Litre 5 spd man superwagon as project. Now registered and on the dirt. NEEDED: MORE MONEY!
Old 06-02-13

So remove the swaybar totally and see if noise is still there... if it is then its not your swaybar bushes or links... helped me before coing down the path of CVs
Old 08-02-13
Valued Member

New swaybar D bushes fixed the clunk for me. Got the Nolathane ones from autobarn for $24 a set, tightened up the cornering nicely too so happy days. The original rubber ones didn't look bad at all but new ones made all the difference. Did both front and rear.
02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee
Old 10-02-13
Valued Member

Going to try and change bushes today. Pretty sure that's all it is, as a few weeks back when I did a trans flush I disconnected the wrong hose so trans fluid sprayed over the bar and at least one of the old bushes so I think that would've helped them start to slide around a bit although I did clean it up.
2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam
Old 10-02-13
Valued Member

Not home at the moment, but all the parts catalogues list 28mm and 29mm bushes, but they class NM and NP as the same vehicle search.

Anyone know off hand if the NP is 28mm or 29mm?
2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam
Old 10-02-13
Valued Member

You need to measure it's diameter.
My link rubbers are persihed and makes a noticable clunk/crack sound now and then.
Old 10-02-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwiniandude View Post
Not home at the moment, but all the parts catalogues list 28mm and 29mm bushes, but they class NM and NP as the same vehicle search.

Anyone know off hand if the NP is 28mm or 29mm?
29mm front and think the rear was 24mm.

EDIT: rear are 25mm(nolathane part# 42222)
Front are 29mm (nolathane part# 42561)
02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

Last edited by mmannion; 10-02-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 15-02-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmannion View Post
New swaybar D bushes fixed the clunk for me. Got the Nolathane ones from autobarn for $24 a set, tightened up the cornering nicely too so happy days. The original rubber ones didn't look bad at all but new ones made all the difference. Did both front and rear.
Well that was short lived!!! Bloody clunk is back again, seems most prevailant when reversing out of a parking spot touching the brakes and left hand down. Removed swaybar completely, still there. Removed bash plates, still there. I have gone over everything under the front end and nothing loose or any play.

me nuts!!!!

Old 15-02-13

I have an update. It happened again today, after I turned off the car, locked it and had walked 10m away it went clunk!

It was cold/raining today and it seems to happen more often on cold days and such. Totally confused because there was literally no movement involved at all. Definitely sounds metallic like hitting a spanner on a chassis rail.

Some kind of Pajero mystery curse?

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Coming Soon (hopefully): Winch & Snorkel
Old 17-02-13
Valued Member

My last Patrol had a metallic clunk, seemingly at random. I ended up being a pinhole in the left front spring insulator (rubber bit at to of spring). Not sure if Pajeros have this. I just turned around about 30mm and the noise stopped.