• Show
Clear All
  • haz77
    • May 2013
    • nz

Time to start using additives?

2004 3.2D
    290'kms
    oil & filter every 5'kms for last 85'kms if not longer.
    Penrite Semi syth oil

Starting to smoke quite a bit at idle & noticeable at low revs / speed.

Greyish smoke, smell like a dirty ol diesel.

Wonder if its worth giving it a dose of fuel additive / injector cleaner etc?

Ive never put any in (since 208'kms) & don't want to F something like pump seals etc,

Any thoughts, wondered about these;-

Penrite Injector Cleaner 375ml ADDIC375, says every 2500kms

Penrite Total System Cleaner 375ml ADDTSC375, says every 10000kms.
  • Roler
    • Apr 2018
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by haz77 View Post
    2004 3.2D
    290'kms
    oil & filter every 5'kms for last 85'kms if not longer.
    Penrite Semi syth oil

Starting to smoke quite a bit at idle & noticeable at low revs / speed.

Greyish smoke, smell like a dirty ol diesel.

Wonder if its worth giving it a dose of fuel additive / injector cleaner etc?

Ive never put any in (since 208'kms) & don't want to F something like pump seals etc,

Any thoughts, wondered about these;-

Penrite Injector Cleaner 375ml ADDIC375, says every 2500kms

Penrite Total System Cleaner 375ml ADDTSC375, says every 10000kms.
    Injector cleaners are unlikely going to make any difference or fix your smoke issue. Different problem.

There are a few nice YouTube's on the sense and nonsense of system cleaners and the likes, including comparing and borecameras showing combustion chambers etc.
    I have no experience with diesels but the smell of old diesel (so fuel) would make it a rich exhaust mix or incomplete burning one would think. White smoke is usually moisture, black smoke is oil burnt. If that's the case, then there are a few possible causes for each.
    2006 NP Exceed 3.8ltr V6 auto 219K

DIY transmission forward flush write up with pics
    https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...flush-a-how-to

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

Take a look at these guys. I've been using their products.

Solutions to engine problems e.g. DPF Problems, oil use Power loss, smoke, poor fuel consumption, blow by and overheating

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• haz77
        • May 2013
        • nz

Originally posted by Roler View Post
        Injector cleaners are unlikely going to make any difference or fix your smoke issue. Different problem.
        I wondered if the injectors are fouled causing them to not spray / atomize correctly causing pour combustion at lower revs.

Also my EGR is still in place, maybe this should be taken out or service?

Main trouble is we dont have a proper Diesel garage in town & im not that confident in the Mitsi dealer.

uses a bit of oil between services, say 5-600mls or there about, bit more if we do heavy towing or such.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Possibly clogged manifold...
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• craka
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Newcastle (Newie)

Is the smoke more black or is more blue?
            Black I would think dirty or worn injectors.

Blue I would think worn piston rings.
            NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Sparky3975
              • Apr 2017
              • Botanic Ridge, Vic

Hi Haz,

I recently replaced the head on my 05 NP DiD which has done @ 276,000Km's. Prior to my issues, I tried to use the LiquiMoly intake cleaner spray but honestly didn't remove the years of built up crud. You could definitely put some additive through it but the only way would be to remove the intake and clean it properly. I cleaned mine prior to the head replacement and it wasn't too restricted but a decent amount of build up none the less. Do it yourself if possible to keep the cost down and invest in a good quality catch can (provent or flashlube).
              2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, ARB dual battery tray, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Provent 200 catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear DBA Slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.

Comment

• haz77
                • May 2013
                • nz

defiantly more grey / blue smoke, not the heavy black you often see with diesels.

Any suggestions for info on removing the inlet to clean?

Might give the injector or system cleaner a bash, look at cleaning the inlet first as they are low cost.

In considered the crank breather mod, is there anyway of assessing how much the case is 'breathing' currently to verify if the smoke is from piston / ring wear?

Comment

• haz77
                  • May 2013
                  • nz

by the way, oil is Penrite HPR 15-50

Comment

• haz77
                    • May 2013
                    • nz

Not had the valve clearances done since we got it 80'kms ago, might just book it in for that & to get the inlet & intercooler cleaned at the same time.

is it worth considering disabling the EGR?, how easy is this to do, on my Toyota surf you need to by or make a blank off plate & remove a load of piping from the back of the engine.

Comment

• Sparky3975
                      • Apr 2017
                      • Botanic Ridge, Vic

Originally posted by haz77 View Post
                      Not had the valve clearances done since we got it 80'kms ago, might just book it in for that & to get the inlet & intercooler cleaned at the same time.

is it worth considering disabling the EGR?, how easy is this to do, on my Toyota surf you need to by or make a blank off plate & remove a load of piping from the back of the engine.
                      The cleaning process is very labour intensive so if you choose to get it done by your mechanic, expect to add another $500-1000. The EGR valve block off is actually illegal here (not sure in NZ) but that is up to you on that. That is why I suggested a good quality oil catch can as it removes the majority of the oil vapour before it goes through the intake system.
                      2005 NP Pajero Exceed DiD: Airtec snorkel, iDrive, Nudge bar with 24" Stedi light bar, Redarc's Ultimate Dual Battery setup, ARB dual battery tray, 2" MD King/Bilstein suspension combo, Provent 200 catch can pro, Bridgestone D697 A/T's, Front/Rear DBA Slotted disc rotors, Boo's bashplates.

Comment

• GEM
                        • Apr 2018
                        • Port Stephens

Diesel fuel conditioner

Have purchased a new Pajero Sport, wondering if I should use some diesel fuel conditioner once a month to help keep particulated filter clean as it only does short trips.
                        If so what brand

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by GEM View Post
                          Have purchased a new Pajero Sport, wondering if I should use some diesel fuel conditioner once a month to help keep particulated filter clean as it only does short trips.
                          If so what brand

Don't think there is any additive that will do that. Low ash full synthetic oil will certainly help along with 7,500k oil changes.

A good run occasionally on a motor way or road where you can do at least a constant 80kph for 8 to 10k is not a bad idea.

Comment

• haz77
                            • May 2013
                            • nz

Watching a vid on the penrite web site they claim one of there additives is is designed to clean exhaust particulate filters if thats what your on about.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X