• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greyman
    • Nov 2010
    • newcastle

V6 towing consumption

Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone has any figures for towing a caravan with petrol paj.
    I was considering buying a van but not sure about consumption. Van would have a tare of around 2200kg. I don't want to change vehicle for two reasons one is I can't afford both a van and another car,second reason just had a new long motor installed due to a service workshop mishap. Replaced at workshop cost
    Any replies would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance.

Greyman
  • RoyHarvey
    • Mar 2008
    • Adelaide

My NM 3.5 auto used to tow our aproox 2100kg pop top very well on the flat but had to work fairly hard on the hills.
    Fuel consumption was generally about 19L/100km, perhaps a little better with a tail wind.
    Worst I recall was about 23L/100km into a very strong headwind.
    2016 NX Pajero GLX
    Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• MattD
      • Oct 2015
      • Adelaide

NT 3.8 Fuel consumption

Hi Greyman,
      We tow a relatively small Jayco Swift Outback (1.5T fully loaded probably) and find we get 19 - 21l/100 depending on the grades and how fast I drive.

Granted this is not fantastic "economy" but for me i decided it was acceptable as i was not planning to do huge kilometres and also didn't want to shell out for a higher vehicle purchase price for a diesel model.

For example, the equation for me was along the lines of i tow 5000km/yr at 20l of petrol per 100km ($1500/yr at $1.50/l) versus say 12l of diesel per 100 km ($780/yr at $1.30/l). So a diesel rig is around $700 cheaper per yr but if the capital outlay is $10k more to be driving a diesel, you need to do about 14 yrs of 5000km trips in a diesel before breaking even. The tables turn in a big way if your mileage per year is higher plus your tow load is bigger since the fuel consumption difference will be steadily bigger and bigger between petrol and diesel.

Anyway, that was my rationale and experience.

Cheers
      Now 2013 GLX-R NW 3.2 DiD, Lovells and Bilstein 2" lift (SD), Factory diff lock, Cooper Discovery AT3, ARB Deluxe steel bar, Narva 225 driving lights, Bushskinz intercooler, sump and transmission plates, GME TX3100, .

Previous and sentimentally missed 2009 NT GLS 3.8L V6, Lovells & Bilstein 2" lift, Cooper AT3, Narva 225 on factory nudge bar, Bushskinz front and sump plates

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

The biggest factor in fuel consumption when towing a caravan is how hard you put your foot down. If you are happy (and it is safe) to travel at 90 km/h, you will use a hell of a lot less fuel than if you travel at 100 km/h. Even worse if you try 110 km/h. Remember that you are pulling a thing with the aerodynamics of a brick. And if the wind is blowing against you, you will pay. On my last trip round the block, I did 18000 km, and I only had a headwind from Katherine to Kunnanurra. My fuel bill was amazing.

Poptop caravans and campers have a lower profile and they do use a lot less fuel than a full height caravan. Of course both of these types have their disadvantages too, so it is not all beer and skittles.

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
          The biggest factor in fuel consumption when towing a caravan is how hard you put your foot down. If you are happy (and it is safe) to travel at 90 km/h, you will use a hell of a lot less fuel than if you travel at 100 km/h. Even worse if you try 110 km/h. Remember that you are pulling a thing with the aerodynamics of a brick. And if the wind is blowing against you, you will pay. On my last trip round the block, I did 18000 km, and I only had a headwind from Katherine to Kunnanurra. My fuel bill was amazing.

Poptop caravans and campers have a lower profile and they do use a lot less fuel than a full height caravan. Of course both of these types have their disadvantages too, so it is not all beer and skittles.
          Not only towing something with the aerodynamics of a brick but using something to tow with the same aerodynamics...
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
            Not only towing something with the aerodynamics of a brick but using something to tow with the same aerodynamics...
            Interestingly, most 4WDs are not that much lower than the poptop caravans they are towing. This gives them a bit of an edge. In addition, my caravan has a shorter than standard towbar, and this has an unusual effect on the aerodynamics. I didn't plan it this way, but it worked out for me quite well. The airflow seems to go from the rear of my tug straight over the roof of the van. I can travel on a wet road, with pouring rain and the rear window of the Pajero stays totally dry - as long as I keep moving. This seems to reduce the drag quite a bit. On my last little trip (Cooma - Brisbane - Bundaberg - Longreach - Tennant Creek - Alice - Pt Augusta - Cooma), I averaged around 12.5 L/100 km, travelling at 100 km/h (GPS speed) all the way. NW Diesel Pajero, 16.5 ft Jayco Poptop. I reckoned that wasn't too bad because we had galeforce headwinds from Pt Augusta to home.

A 4WD towing a camper trailer is the ideal combination. We used to have this but age caught up on us and we slouched ourselves into a caravan instead. A 4WD with a boat on the roof, towing a full height caravan is also a better combination for fuel consumption. Anything to reduce wind turbulence - look at modern trucks with their wind deflectors - they don't fit them just for looks.

Comment

• Peterng
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2013
              • Northern Rivers NSW

I agree with what others have mentioned in regards to "V6 fuel consumption" when towing, if you are doing a couple of trips per year, I would not get too worried about fuel consumption when towing your van.
              I met a bloke in Longreach about 18 months ago, he was from Sydney and heading up to do some Barra fishing in the gulf.
              The bloke had a petrol Landcruiser loaded to the hilt...boat on top of vehicle covering jerry cans and some camping gear. Boat motor on the rear bar and towing a 3.300kg dual axle caravan...in other words this bloke was seriously loaded.
              Tow rig and caravan hooked up, looked like a bent banana, the police would have had a ball, pinging him for being overloaded.
              What got to talking and he mentioned that it had cost him to Longreach from Sydney about $2k in fuel and he was just over 1/2 way there.

In respect for getting a diesel 4wd as a tow vehicle...if you are prepared to wait, look and hunt around the auctions...specifically local /state government and mining Auctions...you never know.
              Why I say that, is that a mate has just come back from the Darwin Auctions, picked up a diesel v8 Troopy..miliage 120k.got passed @ $14500, neg and humbugged them..picked it up for...$12500.
              Sold his Prado..2000 model for $6500...so really, he picked up his troops for about $6000.
              So the bargins are out there...you just have to be patient...

Comment

• greyman
                • Nov 2010
                • newcastle

Thanks for the replies
                I probably wouldn't be doing too many long trips so if I could average around 24 litres per 100 km I would be OK with that as long as the greedy fuel sellers keep a lid on the price but that's a whole new subject

Greyman

Comment

• Wicks747
                  • Oct 2014
                  • Alice Springs

The other side of the coin is your lesser ranger at the higher consumption. May have to consider larger tank or jerrys etc if you haven't already. Guess it depends on where you go.
                  Sold 2004 PA Challenger
                  Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• jjacer
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Brisbane

G'day, I did a lot of towing a full height 18ft van with my previous 3.5ltr V6 Pajero auto.
                    My experience was around 18ltrs/100klms normal driving on the flat and headwind or hill climbing add another 3-7ltrs.
                    Using the auto tranny was also a serious factor with the V6.

I generally had it in manual mode sitting at 100kmh and watched the tacometer when approaching hills and rising roads, as soon as there was a slight drop in rpm I'd tap back a cog to 4th until over the rise/hill - worked extremely well for many thousands of kilometres of towing.

If it was a windy day I'd select 4th manually and sit on 90kmh but this wasn't all that comfortable due to higher engine revs.

If it was hilly I'd be switching/tapping gears in manual all day long whenever needed.

The V6 actually was a surprisingly good tow vehicle contrary to advice I was given but of course when the going is anything but perfect that fuel gauge would start marching back to E.

Having the diesel nowadays has been a revelation in fuel economy and power but I no longer tow a van just a camper trailer offroad now and then.

I swear by the Morey's or Lucas upper cylinder lubrication additives too in both engines.

I made the decision to go diesel due to a fuel saving of around $3000/year. Keeping this NT 3.2TD will save me $30,000 over ten years which is the cost of buying it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X