• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by PBding View Post
    Interesting, I would have struggled with a GU, have 3 friends with them. The Legend version was reviewed in 4x4 Australia and I can see why some would buy one but part of the review also featured a photo of a Y62 and two complimentary paragraphs.

Y62 just does it better, although I was really happy with my NW but not heavy enough for the van.
    I expect Steve wishes to revisit the Canning at some stage - I'd be surprised if he chose a Y62.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by PBding View Post
      Interesting, I would have struggled with a GU, have 3 friends with them. The Legend version was reviewed in 4x4 Australia and I can see why some would buy one but part of the review also featured a photo of a Y62 and two complimentary paragraphs.

Y62 just does it better, although I was really happy with my NW but not heavy enough for the van.
      I did have a brief look at a Y62 and while I have no doubt its a capable offroader, I think when the going gets really tough is where the Y61 will outshine it. The Y62 is also quite a bit more expensive and is not the type of vehicle I'm interested in.
      I am planning on doing some tracks like the Carson river track in WA over the coming years and yes I may revisit the CSR. I really just wanted to get away from independent suspension and back into a live axle and ladder frame vehicle which is easily modified. To be honest if Landrover still made the Defender, it would have been on my shortlist also, so lack of power in the 3.0 litre Patrol is not much of a concern to me. It will have adequate power where I need it for the forseeable future.
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• PBding
        • May 2010
        • Canberra

Horses for courses guys and I do understand why choices are made, mine is not for remote area tracks. Enjoy the Legend, its certainly got the gear for your intended use. A new Y62 can be had for about $65 on the road, some even get bull bars for around that price, but still a bit more than the Legend and would need a bit more as well although the standard clearance is 283mm anyway.

Have you checked out the Y62 Facebook page there are some well modified ones there.
        NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• Paj man
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010
          • Perth

Good stuff mate

Although I think my next 4wd will be a Toyota, I have never found a reason to knock patrols. One of my bosses from a couple of years ago purchased a new patrol and kitted it up. Went very well off road, can't really argue with 2 live axles.

I think the earlier grenade 3.0L's have damaged the current engines rep - the new ones are fine and respond well to a bit of easy breathing (snorkel/exhaust).

Enjoy!
          1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

what is the factory rated output of a newish patrol?
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

For the record, I was not questioning the Y62's 4wd capability - it is a Patrol after all, and I'm certainly in no position to disrespect fully independent suspension.

My comment was based on Steve's love of remote area touring; the Y62's big petrol V8 and auto are not conducive to touring range, making it far from an ideal vehicle for Steve.

For towing something large & heavy I'm sure it performs well - although the thought of the fuel bills is somewhat scary.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stevemc181
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Paj man View Post
                Good stuff mate

Although I think my next 4wd will be a Toyota, I have never found a reason to knock patrols. One of my bosses from a couple of years ago purchased a new patrol and kitted it up. Went very well off road, can't really argue with 2 live axles.

I think the earlier grenade 3.0L's have damaged the current engines rep - the new ones are fine and respond well to a bit of easy breathing (snorkel/exhaust).

Enjoy!

I looked at the 76 series and probably would have bought one if they came in an auto. I am wishing that the Patrol was upgraded with the Yank Titan V8 Diesel Engine, but alas its not to be. The accessory list that was added to the Legend series was extremely good value and is $10,000 that I won't need to spend on aftermarket gear. Bullbar, Winch, Snorkel, Roofrack etc all covered by Nissans warranty, really swayed the deal for me.

Yep, from everything I can find they are no longer the issue they once were. I have 6 years or 150k warranty on it, so should be ok if it does grenade!

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                what is the factory rated output of a newish patrol?
                Its a whopping 118 Killer wasps of raw power If I start saving now, I'll probably be able to afford a 6.6 litreDuramax/Allison conversion when my warranty runs out!

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                For the record, I was not questioning the Y62's 4wd capability - it is a Patrol after all, and I'm certainly in no position to disrespect fully independent suspension.

My comment was based on Steve's love of remote area touring; the Y62's big petrol V8 and auto are not conducive to touring range, making it far from an ideal vehicle for Steve.

For towing something large & heavy I'm sure it performs well - although the thought of the fuel bills is somewhat scary.
                Yep, in a nut shell thats it. They are a well proven offroad weapon with a driveline 2nd to none, I think for outback remote desert type stuff they are ideal. It is also a bonus that I am able to upgrade my GVM and strengthen the rear end at the same time to ensure it can handle the weight of additional fuel and water/supplies for extended offroad trips. This is something I struggled to do with the Paj and was always at the limits of its carrying abilities.
                2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• grhyso
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Perth

Very jealous mate, I seriously wanted one but the missus wasn't interested in a truck so the Paj was the compromise.

You may have to stick with the Pajero crowd for trips but...not sure the patrol mob will welcome the mankini.
                  2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• stevemc181
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                    Very jealous mate, I seriously wanted one but the missus wasn't interested in a truck so the Paj was the compromise.

You may have to stick with the Pajero crowd for trips but...not sure the patrol mob will welcome the mankini.
                    Hahahaha, yep, they may get a bit of a shock!

Comment

• Paj man
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • Perth

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                      I looked at the 76 series and probably would have bought one if they came in an auto. I am wishing that the Patrol was upgraded with the Yank Titan V8 Diesel Engine, but alas its not to be. The accessory list that was added to the Legend series was extremely good value and is $10,000 that I won't need to spend on aftermarket gear. Bullbar, Winch, Snorkel, Roofrack etc all covered by Nissans warranty, really swayed the deal for me.

Yep, from everything I can find they are no longer the issue they once were. I have 6 years or 150k warranty on it, so should be ok if it does grenade!
                      Yeah I had my eye on them too but it's hard justifying that amount of money for something as basic as they are. That accessory pack sounds like a bargain and I like the warranty too.

Should be a bit of fun for you mate.
                      1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• stevemc181
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Paj man View Post
                        . That accessory pack sounds like a bargain and I like the warranty too.
                        Should be a bit of fun for you mate.
                        The warranty cost me $2800 extra for an additional 3 years of Nissan factory warranty, I thought it was worth it though due to the ZD30's reputation. Time will tell I guess and the later ones seem to not have the same issues, but I'd rather be covered.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Melbourne

I did some research when upgrading a couple years ago, the grenade bug indeed seems to be limited to the earlier DI models, particularly 01 era (bit my father hard a few years back after just coming off the oodnadatta) however the new ones as with all cars aren't without common (but far less serious) issues. Wouldn't worry about NADS with any CRD but from memory cracked intercooler among a few other issues are somewhat common (but not show stoppers - can always get home with the common issues from memory).

Some extremely useful threads if you haven't already found them:

Direct injection engine info for reference
                          MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                            I did some research when upgrading a couple years ago, the grenade bug indeed seems to be limited to the earlier DI models, particularly 01 era (bit my father hard a few years back after just coming off the oodnadatta) however the new ones as with all cars aren't without common (but far less serious) issues. Wouldn't worry about NADS with any CRD but from memory cracked intercooler among a few other issues are somewhat common (but not show stoppers - can always get home with the common issues from memory).

Some extremely useful threads if you haven't already found them:

Direct injection engine info for reference
                            http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/3-lit...en-info-88462/
                            Cheers, for the links, I've been all over the Patrol 4x4 and Nissanpatrol.com forums. They have a pretty active community and a wealth of info. Which is good to see!

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                              Cheers, for the links, I've been all over the Patrol 4x4 and Nissanpatrol.com forums. They have a pretty active community and a wealth of info. Which is good to see!
                              Not to mention some of the good work the Western Patrol club has done over the years. I forgot to say congratulations - You'll be back
                              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• stevemc181
                                Valued Member
                                • Sep 2012
                                • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                                forgot to say congratulations - You'll be back
                                I never left, still have the NW but the Patrol will be around for quite a while I think.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X