• Show
Clear All
  • SimonB
    • Sep 2008
    • Cape Town, South Africa

Greetings from South Africa

Hi everyone

Simon here....

In preparation of me adding to the invasion of Australia by South Africans I thought I'd join this forum and start researching the 4x4 scene down under. I don't know where I will eventually be based but it will most likely be Melbourne or Sydney.

No mention of our crappy sports teams thanks

So, currently I drive a 96 (NK) 3.5V6 which I love to bits, and has taken us through many enjoyable trips across Southern Africa (as did my previous Mitsubishi, an L200 ClubCab 4x4)

I have been looking at the used vehicle market and would probably be looking at a newer NM (my budget would be in the region of $20000-$25000). It will be my wife's daily driver and used for exploring our home-to-be (2-3 week trips are what we try do).

I really would prefer a 3.2 DiD given the economy and towing ability, but I do like my V6. Now it seems that the DiD is unbelievably scarce in my price range, or any price range for that matter. I just do not see many advertised. The alternative from a fuel cost point of view would seem to be a LPG conversion. I understand very little about LPG but what I have managed to glean is that it is considerably cheaper than petrol, although the actual consumption is a quite a bit higher, and because the fuel tanks are fairly small, one's range is limited.

BTW, when I see an Ad stating that it is Duel Fuel, what does that mean? Both LPG and Petrol?

This is my steed in Atlantis Dunes outside Cape Town

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
    96 NK Pajero, 3.5V6
  • 4eP
    • Apr 2008

I am sure glad to be the first to say hi from another South African!

Others around are Cats and Pampascat (Mr Loubser from Richards Bay).

Pickle is another familiar name.

Hope you enjoy it here, where we all agree on the brand name!

G.
    Don't ascribe to malice anything that can be adequately explained as stupidity!
    Pajero LWB Gen1 3.2 Di-D TD Engine
    33" Bridgestone D694s
    2" Lift
    Front Runner Rack

Comment

• cutting it
      • Jun 2007
      • Mandurah

Duel fuel means just that.. lpg and petrol.. if you happen to think of lpg.. fuel injected gas is the way to go.. not inducted gas.
      Myself.. i think it's a good option.. although a few things can be annoying, like range out of a tank of gas.. but with duel fuel.. i've never been left on the side of the road.
      Time taken to fill the tank.. about 2 cars can past before you fill your lpg tank... other than that.. i'm happy
      Although i would not change over now.. the high cost of fitting gas.. even with the rebates and fuel seems to be stabilised or lower these days

Welcome to aussie land too

Comment

• CATs 4x4
        • Jun 2007
        • Centurion South Africa

Simon

Welcome on this forum and a sad Goodbye in advance from our good old RS of A. Hopefully all your relocation stuff goes well. Be assured that these Pajero fans Down Under are even more fanatical than us lot.

Enjoy

CATs
        2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
        (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
        2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
        2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

• BigRed
          • Dec 2008
          • Johannesburg, SA

Nice pic of your steed Simon, I havent seen that pic back home
          Gen 4, GLX, DiD, African outback roofrack, 9500lbs winch, OME all round

If you CAN'T fix it with a hammer, you've got an ELECTRICAL PROBLEM...........But, you can eliminate an electrical problem with a hammer

Comment

• CATs 4x4
            • Jun 2007
            • Centurion South Africa

Yip

It is postcard pretty

CATs
            2001 Pajero NM 3.2 DiD GLS LWB Manual
            (Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
            2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
            2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)

Comment

• BigRed
              • Dec 2008
              • Johannesburg, SA

Originally posted by CATs 4x4 View Post
              Yip

It is postcard pretty

CATs

Amd I like our Forum sticker too
              Gen 4, GLX, DiD, African outback roofrack, 9500lbs winch, OME all round

If you CAN'T fix it with a hammer, you've got an ELECTRICAL PROBLEM...........But, you can eliminate an electrical problem with a hammer

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X