Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

dealer now recommending 45 000km interval valve clearances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grimo82
    • Feb 2015
    • Sth Coast NSW

dealer now recommending 45 000km interval valve clearances?

hi all, thought it applicable to Triton owners - original post here:

summary dealer recommending 45 000 valve adjustment instead of 30km, conveniently outside fixed price period and im told applicable to challys, tritons and pajeros?

anyone else experience this?
  • Old Paj
    Pajero Club Life Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Heathcote, Vic

45,000Km Valve Clearances

I am concerned about the potential con of all valve checks/adjustment.

Classic:
    This service involves a valve clearance check - OK no worries,

Cost $200 (seal kit) Labour $120

Did they really do it?

No evidence is able to be provided of it happening, do they actually do it?

OR do they "listen" to the valves and no undue noise so they do nothing, but bill for the service anyhow.
    NX Pajero, Duel Batteries (under bonnet), Factory Nudge Bar, Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, TowPro Elite, Icom IC-450, Cooper ST-Maxx Tyres (off road), AutoMate, towing 2015 Vista Crossover XL.

Comment

• Grimo82
      • Feb 2015
      • Sth Coast NSW

true but the valve kit is 200 and its 5 hrs labour!

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

Originally posted by Grimo82 View Post
        true but the valve kit is 200 and its 5 hrs labour!
        Unless you get it off this guy lol as I have done before .. just missing By memory 2 more gaskets (egr and something = $24 approx)

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Woosydiver
          • Jul 2013
          • Bunbury, WA

I recently bought a 2016 Triton with 39,000km.

A week later I received a phone call from Mitsubishi head office advising the 45,000km service was due shortly [included valve clearance check] and was still part of fixed price servicing at $580.

I shall see what happens when I take it to the dealer.

ps. I do recall speaking to my local service center when I owned a Pajero, and he said they initially listen to the valves and only work on it if the sound indicated out of tolerance.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2019
            • Victoria

2016 triton is MQ and they are due at 45000 Its only MN that had the weird schedule.

I dont understand how a garage can tell if it is a tight tappet by listening to them. Your MQ inlet valves will be all tight I guarantee. And the exhausts will probably be loose.
            2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
              2016 triton is MQ and they are due at 45000 Its only MN that had the weird schedule.

I dont understand how a garage can tell if it is a tight tappet by listening to them. Your MQ inlet valves will be all tight I guarantee. And the exhausts will probably be loose.

Yep and no tight valve makes a noise. Great way to blow a few dollars on a meaningless "tappet diagnosis". Why people insist on taking their cars back to a mitsy dealer is beyond me. Find a good private mechanic...just ask around...
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• 1_johnboy
                • Sep 2012
                • Gippsland

I have an MQ that's just hit 70k. I took it to Mitsubishi for the first 2 services, then the remained to an independent mechanic.
                So assume mine has not been done. All sounds good. Should this be something I should get done? I assume my independent wouldn't know the "Mitsubishi Method" of doing this

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by 1_johnboy View Post
                  I have an MQ that's just hit 70k. I took it to Mitsubishi for the first 2 services, then the remained to an independent mechanic.
                  So assume mine has not been done. All sounds good. Should this be something I should get done? I assume my independent wouldn't know the "Mitsubishi Method" of doing this

Been using my private mechanic since 2004.

Ours was the first common rail tappet adjustment he had done. Any switched on mechanic should be able to do it. Plenty of members here have done it themselves.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Victoria

Originally posted by 1_johnboy View Post
                    There is nothing hard about doing them, its just the OTHER items that can cause issues. The injector washers must be changed, and the sealing area meticulously cleaned. The injector washer must be replaced and the injectors must be torqued with new washers under the bolts as well.

The procedure for tightening is quite specific, and if they are not sure they must get the right information.

Dealers are seeing cars brought back with coolant leaks after the injectors have been tightened incorrectly by garages outside the Franchise network. Incorrect procedures are causing cracks in the cylinder head water jackets.

It would be advised to get a dealer to do the tappets IMHO. At least you have MMAL backing if they screw it up
                    2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• pharb
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Tyers,Vic

There is nothing hard about doing them, its just the OTHER items that can cause issues. The injector washers must be changed, and the sealing area meticulously cleaned. The injector washer must be replaced and the injectors must be torqued with new washers under the bolts as well.

The procedure for tightening is quite specific, and if they are not sure they must get the right information.

Dealers are seeing cars brought back with coolant leaks after the injectors have been tightened incorrectly by garages outside the Franchise network. Incorrect procedures are causing cracks in the cylinder head water jackets.

It would be advised to get a dealer to do the tappets IMHO. At least you have MMAL backing if they screw it up
                      Injectors don't come out so no need to replace injector washers, or disturb tension of injector retaining bolts.

Valve adjustment is no more difficult than any other '"old fashioned" diesel with rocker arm type adjustable valve mechanism that was used before bucket/shim type valve activation became popular in '80s and '90s.

Consumers have just been spiolt with hydraulic lash adjusters common in light vehicle petrol engines.

3.2L dohc 4M41 valve adjustment is a hell of a lot easier that the shim adjustment of the 2.8L sohc 4M40.

Biggest risk is leaking injector fuel line to injector connection due to any leaks being into rocker cover and not being able to be seen. But these injector lines are the same style as diesels have been using forever, so the operation of reconnection isn't difficult, just can't visually see the results if you don't get it right.

I would hope any reputable non Mitsubishi dealer workshop would be following factory service schedules. If not, I would not call them reputable. Only exception would be someones ol'dunger XF Falcon or similar with no service history and owner just wants oil 'n filter and safety check.
                      PCOV Member 1107.
                      Daily driver NX GLX
                      Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                      Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                      Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Victoria

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                        Injectors don't come out so no need to replace injector washers, or disturb tension of injector retaining bolts.

Valve adjustment is no more difficult than any other '"old fashioned" diesel with rocker arm type adjustable valve mechanism that was used before bucket/shim type valve activation became popular in '80s and '90s.

Consumers have just been spiolt with hydraulic lash adjusters common in light vehicle petrol engines.

3.2L dohc 4M41 valve adjustment is a hell of a lot easier that the shim adjustment of the 2.8L sohc 4M40.

Biggest risk is leaking injector fuel line to injector connection due to any leaks being into rocker cover and not being able to be seen. But these injector lines are the same style as diesels have been using forever, so the operation of reconnection isn't difficult, just can't visually see the results if you don't get it right.

I would hope any reputable non Mitsubishi dealer workshop would be following factory service schedules. If not, I would not call them reputable. Only exception would be someones ol'dunger XF Falcon or similar with no service history and owner just wants oil 'n filter and safety check.

If you read my post and who i quoted, we are talking MQ here Not MN.

On an MQ , all the steps I mentioned are required.
                        2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• pharb
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Tyers,Vic

If you read my post and who i quoted, we are talking MQ here Not MN.

On an MQ , all the steps I mentioned are required.

Whoops.

I actually thought I was responding to a thread on valve adjustments for Pajeros, not Tritons, MQs or MNs.

That will learn me for not looking at the full thread title when just checking "new posts".

Do you really have to pull injectors to adjust valve clearances on an MQ

Injector removal/refit should still be a straight forward job for a reputable mechanic.
                          PCOV Member 1107.
                          Daily driver NX GLX
                          Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                          Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                          Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Victoria

it is easy , but the procedure for refitting is important, and sadly not always adhered to.
                            2024 Outlander

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Greater Sydney

Does pulling the injectors also apply to the Sport?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X