• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d1xon
    • Mar 2013
    • QLD

Brake Rotor Issue

Under braking, I have a wobble in the steering that I reckon is a dodgy brake rotor. The car is only 6 months and 9000 k's old, I sure hope it's covered under warranty, or there'll be trouble. Anyone else had rotor issues ?
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

sounds like rotors are out of round.

Should be covered by warranty but if its not , its easy to replace the front rotors on Gen3 (as opposed to Gen2 where you have to disassemble the hub). Gen 3 are held on by the wheels just like the rear.

You can get them machined if they have enough meat left on them, if not Repco do newies at a reasonable price.

Of course it could be loose caliper bolts as well , best to check all bolts are tight & secure first.
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• mrbitchi
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Brisbane

Yeah, if its shuddering under brakes then the rotor probably is warped. Common problem on Commodores but not normally on Pajeros. My rotors lasted well over 200k and I replaced them with some grooved and dimpled ones from ADR. What a difference they made Bloody thing stops on a dime now with much less peddle force than before.
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• netwrk
        • Jul 2011
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by d1xon View Post
        Under braking, I have a wobble in the steering that I reckon is a dodgy brake rotor. The car is only 6 months and 9000 k's old, I sure hope it's covered under warranty, or there'll be trouble. Anyone else had rotor issues ?

Under warranty take it back....

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

If it is a brand new vehicle I would imagine it would be warranty - they'll probably just machine the rotors - no big deal really. They might quiz you on what you have been doing as some things can cause this - eg. driving into water when the brakes are hot etc.

Cheers

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Elwood
            • Jul 2013
            • Brisbane

I hope you're covered by warranty, although a lot of the warranty fine print specifically rules out consumables - whether or not they consider this to be a consumable and won't help I will be interested to know.

My mazda has been pretty good but the dealer mechanic did tell me one day after I had the rotors skimmed during a brake service that he sees a lot cars coming in with rotors that are no longer true, and he said they saw a lot more of them come in after heavy rain with people driving hot rotors into cold water. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. I do know that after a really hard emergency stop in my Pajero (thanks to some idiot pulling out in front) my brakes now emit a little noise sometimes during braking. It makes me wonder if hard emergency stops leave massive deposits on the rotors and cause thickness variation (ie rotor no longer true).

And my 90s Falcon..... well the brake setup on that was one of its weakness and shuddering when braking from higher speeds was fairly normal behaviour - even on relatively new rotors. I think it was a side effect of the hub/rotor design and also the caliper design. The caliper design on the Paj seems pretty decent, at least compared to that on my old falcon and also on my mazda3... I was actually really impressed with the robust brake setup on the Pajero. Presumably you need it when you've got 3000 kg up back.
            2013 NW GLX-R Pajero auto DID - stock as a rock for now!

Comment

• Troy711
              Valued Member
              • May 2013
              • Canberra

Brake rotors should not warp in 9,000Km. Your local dealer should machine them with no issues.

Comment

• brett
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007

At 20,000k had the dealer tell me it wasn't a warranty issue and wanted to charge for machining and new pads. Said no thanks I'll talk to Mitsubishi, had their customer service person tell me that disc rotors weren't covered by warranty. Had the warranty book in front of me and read it to them where it said rotors were not covered under warranty due to scoring and said I totally agree but mine aren't scored but warped due to the cheap Chinese rotors you choose to use. They went away and checked and said no rotors are not covered, that was the end of my dealings with them. Took the rotors off got them machined for $20 each at my local brake place and haven't been back to the dealer since. So for the sake of $40 they lost several thousands dollars worth of servicing over the next 4 years.
                Anyway best of luck, depends on the dealer, hopefully yours has better customer service.
                And I don't buy the driving through a puddle excuse, had an NP before this one and did 150,000 K without touching the rotors, have done the NT twice in 100,000k. They are using cheap Chinese rotors now.

Comment

• Troy711
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2013
                  • Canberra

The way I see it is if the dealer refuses to warrant a particular item after a certain amount of Km they're basically saying that the part is only designed to be good for that time period. And discs only covered to 20K is a joke. Holden covers discs to 45K, I had mine on my old VZ machined twice and I tried to get them done a third time but they wouldn't cover it but did offer to fit replacements at an astronomical price. I told the service bloke not to worry and I'll get some cheaper, better aftermarket ones that will actually last. He looked pretty offended when I said that Holden used shit quality parts.

Comment

• brett
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007

Ive also got a VX commodore and never had an issue with rotors but plenty of people did on the forums back in 02-03 and holden were replacing them not machining them. Only just machined mine this year with a pad change at 110,000

Comment

• dolphin
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2008

for a vehicle of that age and K,s on the clock, i would not except a re surface machine of the rotor discs if this is the problem i might add. NEW rotors should be fitted as no doubt they must have been faulty from day one .
                      other causes of front wobble are; lose wheel bearings / lose wheel nuts / uneven tire pressures in fronts / brake caliper issue / ABS fault /play in steering rack / worn tie-rod end / worn swing arm bushings.
                      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• smej
                        • Nov 2012
                        • Sydney

I have this same issue... around 17k on the clock.
                        MY12 Plat II diesel auto, factory rear locker, tow pack, spare wheel lift, MMCS override, Tunelink audio steaming & too many plans and not enough $

Comment

• halbster
                          • Feb 2012
                          • Sydney

I had this issue on NW at about 5k. Took it in and had the disks machined under warranty. Done 20k now with no further issues.

Comment

• Jeephater
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Sunny coast

I guess you have to remember that the NW at least, and maybe the NT, has larger rotors than the NP due to its towing capacity. I won't argue with the poor quality argument as Mine at 5000 k's had a shudder under brakes. I bought it at 5000 k's used. Just had rotors machined at 30k for $170. The front ones had to be done on car as they wouldn't fit in the off car machine at the place I went to.

Comment

• Bigbaddave12
                              • Jul 2012
                              • South East S.A.

Originally posted by Jeephater View Post
                              The front ones had to be done on car as they wouldn't fit in the off car machine at the place I went to.

Is this how they do it?

DANGER DANGER Crazy Canadian turns a bowl on front end of a van http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/products/

Hahahaha
                              bigbaddave12.
                              NW MY12 Platinum Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Greatwhites 18 Led Light Bar, Sandgrabba Mats, Wetseat Covers, Full EGR Block, Airtec Snorkel, Plus more when the money tree grows it's leaves back!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X