• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dayno
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

Stock ecu tune gen 1 v6

Hi all,

I am looking at options as far as tuning/flashing stock ecus. I had a magna that was flashed to remove the immobiliser.
    I would like to try and have a play myself. Can I use open port to tune? Like you can with the magna ecus or is my ecu to archaic to flash.

I have a spare ecu that I can use. Any info would be great

Cheers
    Dayne
    97 NK pajero
    90 pajero v6
    64 rambler american
    98 Mitsubishi verada
    1965 14" franklin Caravelle

Too many cars but so much fun.....
  • torana68
    • Mar 2014
    • near bredbo

would be interested to know, would like to get my 3.5 done

Comment

• dayno
      • Aug 2012
      • Perth

Originally posted by torana68 View Post
      would be interested to know, would like to get my 3.5 done
      I'm on aussiemagna forum aswel. I've contacted the guy that flashed my tf magna ecu to ask him about the pajero ecus. Just awaiting his reply.

He was able to flash anything after tf in the magna range which is 1997+ 6g72/74 with an open port cable and same software that people use to tune and flash evo's and subys, can't remember the name of it. Evoscan maybe...

I don't see why your 3.5 can't be done.

What year 3.5? I'll ask him about them
      97 NK pajero
      90 pajero v6
      64 rambler american
      98 Mitsubishi verada

Comment

• torana68
        • Mar 2014
        • near bredbo

Originally posted by dayno View Post
        What year 3.5? I'll ask him about them
        2/96 Im sure it can be done , soomeone in Adelaide thats good with Evo's offered to do my daughters Legnum (import) so Id guess they are mostly the same.

Comment

• dayno
          • Aug 2012
          • Perth

2/96 Im sure it can be done , soomeone in Adelaide thats good with Evo's offered to do my daughters Legnum (import) so Id guess they are mostly the same.
          I'm pretty sure they would use the same protocols for there range of cars worldwide MUT-II I think it is that's why the evo guy is able to play with the legume too, I dare say he would be able to play with your paj too but maybe less willing as probably haven't had a play with pajero maps as much.

It's just about matching software to engine control sensors. When my immobilisor was flashed out he used a TJ magna ecu with TH software. Plugged right in just threw a barometric sensor cel because my magna didn't have the sensor, he came back a few days later with updated software and it was all good.

Hopefully there is a later model ecu that I can use that is easily flashable.
          Will have to wait and see I guess.
          97 NK pajero
          90 pajero v6
          64 rambler american
          98 Mitsubishi verada

Comment

• kreyzgym
            • Mar 2012
            • Melbourne

Whats the main goal/improvement you want to achieve?
            1989 NG single cab ute. 33" Federals, ARB bar & completely incomplete

Comment

• torana68
              • Mar 2014
              • near bredbo

Originally posted by kreyzgym View Post
              me. optomise tune for ported heads and good exhaust (torque and economy)

Comment

• dayno
                • Aug 2012
                • Perth

Originally posted by kreyzgym View Post
                Some slight improvement in fuel economy possibly a little more power, I have full exhaust and snorkel.
                My main objective is to learn how to do it tho

Edit: and not have to pay someone $500 to do it
                97 NK pajero
                90 pajero v6
                64 rambler american
                98 Mitsubishi verada

Comment

• 72pug
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Brisbane

I could be wrong, ..... but it's a possibility the guy you're referring to is Steve Knight of SKR...... he's Ex MMAL powertrain guy and I know he has done Lots of ECU work for the members of the Magna forum.

cheers,

Pug

Comment

• Gen3
                    • Nov 2011
                    • penrith , NSW

the ECUs in gen1 and gen 2 Pajeros cannot be reflashed. only choice for those is going aftermarket like Haltech , Wolf , ETC.
                    same for the 3.5 DOHC engines .

basically , if not fitted with a second ( reflash ) connector , the ECU is not flashable.

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • Maitland, NSW

The gen1 and gen2 3ltr are not flashable unfortunately.
                      There was a guy on the pajero facebook page that got quoted $450 for flash of his stock ecu from rpw on his 3.5 gen2 so maybe the gen2 3.5 is flashable?
                      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2012
                        • Maitland, NSW

Piggyback ecu or A/F interceptor would be your cheapest option.
                        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• torana68
                          • Mar 2014
                          • near bredbo

Originally posted by Gen3 View Post
                          the ECUs in gen1 and gen 2 Pajeros cannot be reflashed. only choice for those is going aftermarket like Haltech , Wolf , ETC. same for the 3.5 DOHC engines .
                          basically , if not fitted with a second ( reflash ) connector , the ECU is not flashable.

Pug, yep Steve knight,

Gen3, RPW says they can but it depends on which ECU we have, where is this reflash connector?
                          Roger

Comment

• dayno
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Perth

Pug, yep Steve knight,

Gen3, RPW says they can but it depends on which ECU we have, where is this reflash connector?
                            Roger
                            Should be right near/ next to the diagnostics connector.

This is what I got from the guy on magna forum.

Quote from magna forum :
                            Originally Posted by Dayno
                            I have a question for you. Have you had anything to do with pajero ecus? Are they flash able?
                            I have a spare one laying around and would love to get the mixtures leaned out and it adjusted for snorkel and aftermarket exhaust. Is this something you would be interested in looking into?

Reply:
                            A lot depends on the vintage... pretty much all 1996+ Mitsubishis have readily flashable ECUs (with the right cable and software), however before then most of the ECUs are effectively not flashable. The ECUs of interest to me are usually of the 2000-2005 vintage, as I don't have the software tools to work with the earlier ECUs (and I'm not prepared to pay for them as a hobby).

In a practical sense, there is a limit to how much you can lean out the cruise running of the engine - from what I've found out 16:1 AFR is about the limit before the power loss and other issues start to bite, which is only about 10% less fuel than stoichiometric running at a 14.7:1 AFR. And you need to the mixture enriched down to about 12-13:1 AFR under heavy load for decent performance.

Does the Paj have an oxygen sensor? If so (and the sensor is working) in the absence of a reflashable ECU, to change the mixture you will need to find a viable way to change the oxygen sensor response. This isn't as easy to do properly as many people claim. Unfortunately all the piggyback ECUs I've looked at don't support providing a substitute oxygen sensor signal. The usual alternative, if disconnecting the oxygen sensor causes problems like CELs, is to use a wideband sensor with a controller that provides a programmable narrowband sensor output. Unfortunately that doesn't solve all the problems as it doesn't provide RPM and Load/throttle based mapping - you still need an interceptor ECU to do this (though I think there is a kit programmable ignition system available from Jaycar).

Probably the best solution is to look at a complete replacement ECU. A lot of the high-end systems are intended for high performance cars and are lots of $$$ however quite a few older vehicles have been converted to use the MegaSquirt ECU - see also the DIYAutoTune site. I've not used a MegaSquirt myself, but it is pretty much the only low end replacement ECU I've encountered.

The only other alternative is to retrofit an ECU from a later vehicle, but that is usually a lot of trouble involving loom changes etc.
                            End quote

So effectively after market ecu for me. I had a look at the mega squirt website and they have varying range the cheapest being from build your own ecu circuit board up, to full pro wire in stuff. They had the adjustable output wide band oxygen sensor with hand controller. I could spend some cash on that website. Has anyone used megasquirt products?

When did they stop using the 3.0L in the pajeros? I know in the magnas they were still using 6g72 but the 24v in 1997.

Cheers
                            Dayno
                            97 NK pajero
                            90 pajero v6
                            64 rambler american
                            98 Mitsubishi verada

Comment

• Gen3
                              • Nov 2011
                              • penrith , NSW

Pug, yep Steve knight,

Roger
                              thats my whole point - Gen 1 and most Gen 2 dont have a reflash connector.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X