• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2freeq
    • Apr 2011
    • Wollongong

NS Pajero Gearbox Service

I have recently (A week ago) purchased a 2008 NS Pajero 3.2 Auto. Didn't notice during the test drive but i seem to have a half a second long shudder at 100kph when the gearbox increases its revs when going up a slight incline. Feels like when your tyre touches the reflectors on side of highway lane. A gearbox service was recommended as a starting point to resolve this.
    I just went to Mitsubishi to purchase a filter and transmission fluid and they informed me the filter in the NS Auto box is very rarely changed so they don't stock them. The parts guy and his colleague both confirmed that there was no need for a filter change and just a drain and replace of the fluid was all that's needed.
    Does that sound correct?
    Currently Own
    - 2008 NS 3.2L TD - Smart Bar, Warn winch, Kings spot lights, Dual batteries, UHF, Roof basket, Kings Awning, AT tyres + more to come!
    - 2006 NP 3.8L - Alloy bullbar, Spotlights, Ironman 2" lift, UHF, AT tyres

Previously Owned
    - 1992 NH 2.5L TD - Bullbar, Winch, Roof basket, UHF, AT tyres
  • benckj
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2017
    • Alexandra , New Zealand

Unless there is a problem with the internals the filter doesn't require a change. I'd drop the fluid and look for any debris which may include further investigation. Also inspect the drain plug as its magnetised and could show fragments.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by 2freeq View Post
      I have recently (A week ago) purchased a 2008 NS Pajero 3.2 Auto. Didn't notice during the test drive but i seem to have a half a second long shudder at 100kph when the gearbox increases its revs when going up a slight incline. Feels like when your tyre touches the reflectors on side of highway lane. A gearbox service was recommended as a starting point to resolve this.
      I just went to Mitsubishi to purchase a filter and transmission fluid and they informed me the filter in the NS Auto box is very rarely changed so they don't stock them. The parts guy and his colleague both confirmed that there was no need for a filter change and just a drain and replace of the fluid was all that's needed.
      Does that sound correct?

The 'filter' is not actually a filter but a strainer. Over 330,000k on ours and still original.

If you don't know when the oil was last done I would be going for a full flush rather than a drain and top up. The Jatco box holds 9.7 litres.

Comment

• 2freeq
        • Apr 2011
        • Wollongong

I have no idea when it was last changed. I did notice last night when checking the fluid level it has a dark tinge to it rather than red like the Mitsubishi oil i brought.

I'll do some research on how to do a full flush and check the sump bolt whilst i'm at it.

Cheers.
        Currently Own
        - 2008 NS 3.2L TD - Smart Bar, Warn winch, Kings spot lights, Dual batteries, UHF, Roof basket, Kings Awning, AT tyres + more to come!

Previously Owned

Comment

• aussieintas
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Sorell, Tasmania

Defo do a full flush bud. Below is a link to a thread on the forum, it is for gen 3 but the same for NS. Agree with the strainer described above. I changed the strainer/filter when I flushed mine a couple of years ago and will be doing a flush again in the coming months. Bjt I wont change the filter again as not required in my opinion.

There are a couple of magnets in the sump of the auto box that obviously cling onto any metal fragments/filings that can be cleaned off if the sump is removed. Removing the sump isn't too hard but requires new gasket stuff etc and some time.

There is also the online tech manual which can be found on this site, section 23A. Linked below. Save this as a stcky bud, you'll use it over and over again for info and guidance.

Here's the link to the thread.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
          99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• 2freeq
            • Apr 2011
            • Wollongong

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
            Defo do a full flush bud. Below is a link to a thread on the forum, it is for gen 3 but the same for NS. Agree with the strainer described above. I changed the strainer/filter when I flushed mine a couple of years ago and will be doing a flush again in the coming months. Bjt I wont change the filter again as not required in my opinion.

There are a couple of magnets in the sump of the auto box that obviously cling onto any metal fragments/filings that can be cleaned off if the sump is removed. Removing the sump isn't too hard but requires new gasket stuff etc and some time.

There is also the online tech manual which can be found on this site, section 23A. Linked below. Save this as a stcky bud, you'll use it over and over again for info and guidance.

Here's the link to the thread.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=15879

Awesome info. Thanks. Ill give this a crack on Wednesday arvo. my tranny fluid the same colour as the pics in that post!!.

Cheers.
            Currently Own

Previously Owned

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X