• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KPJero
    • May 2019
    • QLD

Plywood thickness for drawer bed extension

Hey guys,
    I got a used drawer system off of gumtree and it works great. The ply is all 18mm thick and carpeted. I want to add brackets and a piece of plywood that is removable that would go over top of the 2nd row seats when they're folded down so i can sleep in the back. Obviously need to make legs and stuff. My question is, do you think 12mm thick is thick enough for the bed extension part? Bunnings only has 12mm thick in the size of plywood that i need. Otherwise I have to get 18mm and it's the large 2440 x 1200mm sheets..1) i can't fit that sheet size 2) i don't have a use for the left over wood
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by KPJero View Post
    Hey guys,
    I got a used drawer system off of gumtree and it works great. The ply is all 18mm thick and carpeted. I want to add brackets and a piece of plywood that is removable that would go over top of the 2nd row seats when they're folded down so i can sleep in the back. Obviously need to make legs and stuff. My question is, do you think 12mm thick is thick enough for the bed extension part? Bunnings only has 12mm thick in the size of plywood that i need. Otherwise I have to get 18mm and it's the large 2440 x 1200mm sheets..1) i can't fit that sheet size 2) i don't have a use for the left over wood
    I suspect 12mm won't be quite enough for a bed base, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work - worst case, a couple of extra supports, or a brace on the underside.

Have a look at running some small aluminium angle around the edges - flat underneath, vertical up the side of the ply - so your weight is pushing the ply into the aluminium instead of away from it, and the aluminium is in tension - it can't buckle under load). You could also consider another angle through the middle, on the underside, depending on how much clearance you have to whatever is underneath.

An alternative might be to cut the ply in half, then join it back together with an aluminium "T" profile - the top of the T under the ply, the vertical piece between the sheets of ply. This should give you a much cleaner underside, if you're worried about it rubbing on stuff. You'll probably need to trim the vertical piece of aluminium back to the top surface of your ply - I recently had to do this for replacing a failed part of my storage system, and it proved a little trickier than I expected (for me, with the tools I have available).

Once you have your plan worked out, you could have Bunnings cut the sheet to the size(s) you want.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pixie_au
      • Apr 2019
      • Queensland

I think Bunnings has 17mm formply in smaller sizes.

Comment

• tiger99
        • Oct 2015
        • Brisbane

Your profile shows QLD but not sure where. Mr Plywood has 3 stores in SE Qld. They cut to size and also have an off cut bin which is really cheap.

Pete
        2011 NT RX. Ironbark. 2.5 x 2.5 Awning.

Comment

• Hatto
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Mandurah WA

Yeah use the black form ply. Its available in 17mm and in all sorts of size sheets.
          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Daniel-J
            • Oct 2019
            • Brisbane

Send a photo of what you have, it will be more clear, I have little idea how it will look.

Comment

• Drewan
              • Apr 2017
              • Adelaide

Dont laugh but IKEA have these springy plywood slat bed base thing we just put a set in the caravan worked a treat just lop the slat length to size 1/2 the price of a sheet of ply
              Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• Drewan
                • Apr 2017
                • Adelaide

Dont laugh but IKEA have these springy plywood slat bed base thing we just put a set in the caravan worked a treat just lop the slat length to size 1/2 the price of a sheet of ply
                Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• KPJero
                  • May 2019
                  • QLD

Thanks guys
                  I have postponed the bed extension with..well. overseas travel haha

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X