• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmathews
    • Oct 2019
    • Box Hill North

Towpro triggers ACC and FCM WARNINGS

A bit of a panic and my first post.

Bought a 2018 PS last week. Had a Tow Pro Elite fitted.

Picked up a Goldstream 1760 yesterday. Tows beautifully.

However I have a problem in that some operations including pressing the Redarc button causes messages saying the ACC & FCM need servicing.

Suggestions would be most welcome as we are driving Canberra to Melb today.

And what a brilliant forum this is, so much valuable info and support.

PeterM
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum.
    Just to be 100% clear, you are saying the ACC and FCM service required lights are only coming ON when only certain operations of the RedArc Tow Pro Elite are used. So can we assumes the warning lights are then going OFF when you are not using the certain functions?

What functions trigger the lights to come ON?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• pmathews
      • Oct 2019
      • Box Hill North

Thanks for the follow up OJ. Frustratingly, I can't work out exactly what triggers the warnings. Certainly pressing the Redarc button did, but I am not sure what else. I was able to get all functions back by stopping, turning off and restarting.

I re-read the Redarc manual and followed the instructions to get it to calibrate itself.

Today, I only had one recurrence today, Canberra to Melbourne and that was after we had used the button several times (balance issues with new can - not happy).

Now I am home I will go back to basics and check out the whole system, how it has been wired in, what happens when we plug and unplug the van etc.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Mitsubishi ECU's seem to be very sensitive to poor connections be it power or earths, so I would be double checking all connections. There are about 50 OBD2 fault codes that can trigger the ACC and FCM warning lights so if you had a Ultragauge MX 1.3, Scangauge II or a OBD2 fault code scanner reader so you could read the codes then this may assist in sorting your problem out.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by pmathews View Post
          Thanks for the follow up OJ. Frustratingly, I can't work out exactly what triggers the warnings. Certainly pressing the Redarc button did, but I am not sure what else. I was able to get all functions back by stopping, turning off and restarting.

I re-read the Redarc manual and followed the instructions to get it to calibrate itself.

Today, I only had one recurrence today, Canberra to Melbourne and that was after we had used the button several times (balance issues with new can - not happy).

Now I am home I will go back to basics and check out the whole system, how it has been wired in, what happens when we plug and unplug the van etc.
          If it is triggered by pressing the Redarc button your problem is probably the fact that you are back feeding A Canbus system/ the vehicle & A requires A diode in the vehicle brake light wire will correct the problem if thats how it was wired up me thinks? The vehicle is possibly seeing the braking events of your trailer when foot brakes not activated??
          If thats the problem diodes not expensive
          Somoewhere to start anyhow.
          See link below quote
          "Please note that if the brake signal is sourced at the trailer socket, and the installer is NOT using a REDARC TPWKIT, a diode MUST be fitted on the vehicles brake light wire on the vehicle side of the point where the brake signal is sourced"

Or you'll have drama's

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• pmathews
            • Oct 2019
            • Box Hill North

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Mitsubishi ECU's seem to be very sensitive to poor connections be it power or earths, so I would be double checking all connections. There are about 50 OBD2 fault codes that can trigger the ACC and FCM warning lights so if you had a Ultragauge MX 1.3, Scangauge II or a OBD2 fault code scanner reader so you could read the codes then this may assist in sorting your problem out.

OJ.
            Thanks OJ. some of my other searching suggests this as a problem as well. The Redarc site also suggests checking that the button is mounted securely.

Could be a busy day!

PeterM

Comment

• pmathews
              • Oct 2019
              • Box Hill North

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
              If it is triggered by pressing the Redarc button your problem is probably the fact that you are back feeding A Canbus system/ the vehicle & A requires A diode in the vehicle brake light wire will correct the problem if thats how it was wired up me thinks? The vehicle is possibly seeing the braking events of your trailer when foot brakes not activated??
              If thats the problem diodes not expensive
              Somoewhere to start anyhow.
              See link below quote
              "Please note that if the brake signal is sourced at the trailer socket, and the installer is NOT using a REDARC TPWKIT, a diode MUST be fitted on the vehicles brake light wire on the vehicle side of the point where the brake signal is sourced"

Or you'll have drama's

https://www.redarc.com.au/how-to-fit...h-spec-vehicle
              Thanks Jason. I'll be checking all that out.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Good luck...hope its a quick fix.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Brownie
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Brisbane

Also, pull apart your trailer plugs - the one you connect your trailer into when you hook it up. Start with the trailer side as it is more likely to get damaged, and if that is ok, pull apart the Paj side. These plugs do get damaged, and any short cuircuit does create weird electrical issues.
                  Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
                  Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• glids37
                    • Feb 2016
                    • Banksia Park S.A.

If you need to get an OBD2 reader, ALDI have them on special on Wednesday 30th Oct. See:

Notes:

1. On that link there is also a battery tester (with aligator clips), make sure you select OBD2 reader.
                    2. I have no idea how good these units are, just noticed the ALDI advert.

Cheers,
                    glids
                    QE Pajero Sport GLX: Snorkel, BOOS Bash Plates, Nudge Bar, LED Light Bar, Allin Towbar, Redarc TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Uniden UHF, and other fruit.

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Victoria

They work ok, but only engine and auto codes. I bought two last time they were on special, one for my tool box and one to keep in my trunk, just in case....
                      2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• Ky1e
                        • Aug 2015
                        • Muswellbrook

Had the same problem on one of our bosses brand new prados last week.. Need to use the correct wiring harness kit to suit the particular vehicle.. or if they don't have one, follow this guide;

Comment

• 2bad4u
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Perth, Western Australia

Does your van have ESC? I recently discovered that some brake controllers are not compatible with ESC so I had to upgrade mine when I bought a new van with ESC.
                          Warren
                          2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                          2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Travel Tragic
                            • Nov 2017
                            • Central Coast NSW

Redarc contoller recall

Hi Guys, I was reading in a caravan magazine that there was a recall on some Redarc brake controllers sold between September 1st 2018 and 21st January 2019, could this have something to do with the problem? John
                            2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ky1e View Post
                              Had the same problem on one of our bosses brand new prados last week.. Need to use the correct wiring harness kit to suit the particular vehicle.. or if they don't have one, follow this guide;
                              https://www.redarc.com.au/how-to-fit...h-spec-vehicle
                              I could be mistaken but one I fitted to A Triton recently did not require an expensive wire harness. All I had to do was source the brake light signal at the plug & fit A diode upstream, this is applicable to canbus systems, drive by wire, stability systems etc.
                              Not a big problem, just follow the instructions

Anyone needs link to diode save you the search sing out
                              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X