• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pixie_au
    • Apr 2019
    • Queensland

New buyer - genuine accessories

Hi all

Looking at buying new very shortly and seeking input to part of the decision.

I'm pretty much prepared to buy only after-market accessories but I do know that some OEM products will always beat aftermarket, especially in some mechanical components. Being so little changes in the past decade I am assuming there is an aftermarket version of just about any genuine accessory and I might be able to get OEM a bit cheaper when i purchase the car.

So I'm asking, are there any genuine accessories that you wish you had (or glad you did) buy because there is just no substitute for genuine?

An example might be the electric brake harness because perhaps Hayman Reese doesn't do it right. Or the spare wheel lifting kit is only available OEM.

Thanks in advance.

(By the way, moving across from Patrol4x4 as I change vehicles and loving these forums and all the contributors - special mention to OJ who is very generous with his knowledge)
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

For me, mma fitting the the towbar and brake controller were non negotiable. The rest, Pffft.

They still did a crap job on the controller - subbed it out to an auto leccy. They may have done same with the trailer wiring, that I am unsure of.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• NFT5
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Canberra

I honestly can't think of a single thing that is either better, or cheaper, or both, buying through a dealer compared to aftermarket.

For some trim type items (e.g. floor mats, headlight protectors, bonnet protector etc.) the genuine Mitsubishi quality is better but I found I could source these (genuine Mitsubishi) at far better pricing than through the selling dealer. The spare wheel lifting kit is much cheaper on Ebay than from the dealer and there are alternatives developed by members here that may be both better and cheaper again.

What can be important when buying a vehicle is that sourcing through the dealer allows one to include the costs of those accessories in the purchase price and therefore in the financed or invoiced amount. Also important for those of us in business who want to be able to claim depreciation and interest or leasing costs rather than having to fund the accessories costs separately, although this may have the benefit of instant write-off. There can also be quite significant cash flow benefits.

Depends on your situation but what I've done with the last few vehicles is have the dealer include the costs of all my major aftermarket accessories in the original sales invoice and then pay me to supply and fit. It's a bit unusual and sometimes they'll baulk at the idea initially but, for them it's always about making the sale and when it comes down to that they'll agree.
      Chris

Comment

• underdog
        • Jan 2015
        • Campbelltown, NSW.

Only items I'd recommend would be slimline weathershield and/or bonnet protector. They're some of the very few items that MM dont overcharge for and the aftermarket equivalents are close, but just not quite as good. Really depends on your intended use for the vehicle. For my offroad uses, literally everything aftermarket will be better suitwd and better quality, at a much better pricepoint than MM offers.
        2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
        Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• Pixie_au
          • Apr 2019
          • Queensland

Thanks for the replies.

No tax advantages for me here. Private use and no finance.

Agree with the off-road aspect also. Will look into those over time. The standard bull bar seems ok but not really what I'm ultimately after. Also saw the quality of an install and not impressed.

Interesting with the bonnet protector and weather shield... I'll have a look.

Sounds like no overwhelming argument for anything in particular.

Comment

• Aze
            • Dec 2015
            • Melbourne

This is something I was going to ask about in the next couple of days too, I’m getting a Pajero through salary package and weighing up whether it’s cheaper/better to get aftermarket or go with genuine. I have lots of contacts in Mitsubishi and outside suppliers so either option is possible, just was thinking about what genuine stuff is definitely better. I’ll check out the weather shields and bonnet protector through the people I know and see how much better price they can do. Also I don’t think things like the side step lights are even remotely good value, I can do something nearly identical for under $100, not over $600 like genuine. Lots of homework to do, I want to get it sorted out now so when I’m ready to pull the trigger I have everything organised.
            Aze
            NJ 3.0L Auto

Comment

• dc80
              • Jan 2019
              • Perth

Originally posted by Pixie_au View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

No tax advantages for me here. Private use and no finance.

Agree with the off-road aspect also. Will look into those over time. The standard bull bar seems ok but not really what I'm ultimately after. Also saw the quality of an install and not impressed.

Interesting with the bonnet protector and weather shield... I'll have a look.

Sounds like no overwhelming argument for anything in particular.
              I would suggest possibly not including accessories in part of the initial purchase if you are buying for private use and not financing. The cost of the accessories will incur stamp duty as they are being purchased with the vehicle (unless you specifically ask them to invoice you seperately), you may be better off buying from a supplier other than the dealer.
              2016 NX GLS MY16 | MMA towbar | Boo's bash plates | ProVent 200 catch can | 2" Lovells MD (F+R) + Bilsteins | Stedi 28" ST4K | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/60R18 | Yokohama Geolandar G015 LT265/70R17 | iDRIVE | Redarc Tow Pro Elite | Nautia switch panel

Comment

• Pixie_au
                • Apr 2019
                • Queensland

Great point. Hide considered that. Thanks

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

Originally posted by dc80 View Post
                  I would suggest possibly not including accessories in part of the initial purchase if you are buying for private use and not financing. The cost of the accessories will incur stamp duty as they are being purchased with the vehicle (unless you specifically ask them to invoice you seperately), you may be better off buying from a supplier other than the dealer.
                  That also goes for extended warranty purchaced with the car. Often it can still be purchased later.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

When negotiating the new car deal, genuine accessories can often be obtained for much reduced price or even free. IMO, this can make them better value than aftermarket, for the accessories that are similar from either source, eg, towbar, bonnet protector, etc. Same for roo bars if genuine suits your needs, unless you really want/need an ARB, etc.

For example, find the best price nationally for the car you want on Carsales, etc., negotiate hard saying you are happy to buy from interstate if necessary and tell them which genuine accessories you want included at no cost (obviously low value items are more likely to be free than high value items). Be prepared to negotiate on things like towbars & roobars. Tell them you will sign today at your price & if necessary offer a reasonable amount for the accessories, eg, half the list price (this means they are not losing much, if anything on the accessories & are likely to say yes to get the sale). I got the best advertised national price on my car plus a genuine towbar and wiring for $500 from my local dealer. Be prepared to walk and try a few dealers if necessary (making sure they are not part of the same group - many are these days).

This works best if not trading and paying cash (or your own finance - dealer finance is usually a rip off).

Best timing is usually about a week before end of month and the last couple of weeks in June, as dealers who are struggling to meet sales targets are much more likely to do good deals. March is also good due to the end of the Japanese financial year & annual dealer targets must be met.

Happy hunting - bargain hard!
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X