• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whynot
    • Jan 2013
    • Brisbane

Still trying to work it through.
    Looking for temperature control resistor/ Fan speed resistor.
    I understand usually on the body of the assembly. All I can find is 502752-3350. Googles as Heater regulator motor. You can feel a textured surface on the inside of the chamber. Plug has 3 wires.If this is what i am looking for, what is the best way to test it?

Not related but behind the MN171314v 4WD control unit is MN171302 Rear Diff Lock ECU
    Attached Files
    Prado 150 petrol.
    Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
    Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• whynot
      • Jan 2013
      • Brisbane

Or is this what I am looking for. Location at drivers left knee in air ducting?
      Plug wires are Black/White, White/Blue, Black. Is this the power transistor on the wiring diagram?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by whynot; 29-11-16, 08:52 PM. Reason: Upload photos
      Prado 150 petrol.
      Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

Now we're getting somewhere. That looks like the power transistor for speed control of the fan.

Wire colours on the plug would tell us for sure, but you are on the right track I think. The drawing I provided earlier should correspond with what you have behind the dash.

Do you have a multimeter with diode test function in order to do some tests on this module ?

Also, at the 3 pin plug, it should be possible to check for supply voltage (with the fan motor and its relay plugged in and energised) and test for the earth connection for the power transistor. Not sure about the nature of the drive signal on the third pin, which connects to the aircon ecu.
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• 900canoes
          Valued Member
          • May 2008
          • FNQ

Originally posted by whynot View Post
          Or is this what I am looking for. Location at drivers left knee in air ducting?
          I would say that is the Temp control resistor. See attached diagram, item 1.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 900canoes; 29-11-16, 09:00 PM.
          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• 900canoes
            Valued Member
            • May 2008
            • FNQ

This is the check for the temp cont. resistor.
            Attached Files
            2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Tim,
              Have you eliminated the blower relay yet? This needs to be checked before checking the power transistor.

If the blower works on max speed setting then the blower relay is functioning and your problem is further along the circuit.

If the blower does not work on max speed then the problem is either the relay or associated wiring.

Section 55B of the online Service Manual / Symptoms Chart/ Inspection Procedure #3 describes what and how to check this.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• whynot
                • Jan 2013
                • Brisbane

Hi OJ
                Blower relay does work I have swapped with the rear demister relay and confimed it works / demister heated up, can also hear and feel relay working when in rear demister position.
                The blower does not work on any speed.

I do not have a copy of the online service manual.
                Prado 150 petrol.

Comment

• whynot
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Brisbane

Checked Power transistor with multi meter. Groung to Black/White wire reads constant 12.54v,
                  Ground to White /Blue wire reads zero volts when off, minimum fan speed 9.20v maximum fan speed 9.02v. Average increments of fan speed adjustment was .02v.

Coopers dark time.
                  Prado 150 petrol.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Checked Power transistor with multi meter. Groung to Black/White wire reads constant 12.54v,
                    Ground to White /Blue wire reads zero volts when off, minimum fan speed 9.20v maximum fan speed 9.02v. Average increments of fan speed adjustment was .02v.

Coopers dark time.
                    Anyone that drinks Coopers deserves extra help, PM sent. Coopers is our local ale and brain food for the members of the SA brains trust.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• green troll
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Adelaide

Yep and was breakfast back when I was doing my apprenticeship lol.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2015
                        • Hervey Bay Queensland

Anytime after 7 AM is fine for liquid breakfasts.
                        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• inwood
                          • Aug 2013
                          • Blue Mountains

This may not help, but my fan stopped working a week ago too.
                          Fortunately we hit a bump in the road and it has been working since.
                          I did not get a chance to isolate the issue but has the hallmark of a loose connector somewhere.
                          BTW thanks for the schematics OJ an KB, I will keep them for further reference.
                          2012 Silver Challenger LS Auto,TJM Bullbar, LED Lightbar, Tint, 3k Towbar, Kenwood GPS

Comment

• Redtag
                            • Aug 2015
                            • Adelaide

FYI while the glovebox is out, some photos of whats there.
                            Hey, thanks for the photos! I was about to dive into that region to see if I could find a source of an intermittent buzz that drives me up the wall at times. The previous owner had some driving lights installed and I've traced a number of other buzzes and rattles to things that they didn't tighten up properly or forgot to install the bolts into!
                            Has anyone else traced and rectified a buzz under the airbag - it seems to come in at about 2000rpm when the engine is under load. It also seems to have stopped now that the daily temperature has risen, so I'm suspecting a plastic component is the culprit here!
                            I get an occasional buzz from atop the instrument binnacle too, must trace that!
                            Redtag
                            Charcoal PB auto, 2012. Pretty bog standard at the moment - nudge bar and IPF HID driving lights (bodgy retrofit by previous owner!), factory rear difflockt, Bushkins for intercooler and front diff, Toyo OPAT 265/65/R17 LT, profile bars and Oztrail awning, Ultragauge Blue, EGR plug n'play, Automate and paddles.

Comment

• whynot
                              • Jan 2013
                              • Brisbane

Finally bit the bullet and went to an auto electritian. Replaced fan speed resistor and all working again.
                              I had tested this as per earlier post with readings and thought it was ok. Proves I don't understand electronics that well (like natural selection, more Coopers may kill off the weaker braiin cells and make me smarter ).
                              Resistor is earth triggered so there was anearting problem???

I had actually puchased and returned a Fan speed resistor from MM. They checked part number against vehicles VIN but the part was not correct. Supplied a single fin resistor and my vehicle has a multi fin resistor.
                              Cost approx
                              $200 multi fin fan speed resistor
                              $150 labour

Thanks to all who contributed and gave suggestions. My son and I enjoyed trying to trouble shoot the problem even though we were not successful this time.

Tim
                              Prado 150 petrol.

Comment

• Blackpaj06girl
                                • Aug 2015
                                • Emu park

Resistor I think it was in my np

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X