• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul (SA)
    • Apr 2013
    • Australia

SSB Batteries - any good?

I am looking into a new starter battery and deep cycle battery under the hood for my dual setup.

Has anyone had any experience with SSB as a battery option?

I was looking into Century and Optima, but keen to give the SSB a look.

Cheers Paul.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

I had an SSB stop/start agm 80amp/hr under the bonnet. At 18 months it shit itself. I had bought it online from Adelaide. I,m in Cairns. Raced out and bought a century lead acid straight away. Next day I went to my local SSB dealer and upon producing my receipt for my original SSB he gave me a new battery (same as the crook one). I was very impressed as I expected a shit fight. I had already installed the century so I kept it and sold the SSB . i HAVE 2 X ssb AGM,S in my 3rd seat compartment and both are 2 years old. Still performing very well and I believe they are a good battery with a great warranty.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Plez
      • Jul 2018
      • South East QLD

I haven’t owned one but from what dicko has said about the warranty that is a big win in my eyes. If they’re happy to replace no questions asked it means they’ve got confidence in their product.
      2013 NW, Grey, Auto, Diesel. Resistor EGR Delete, 2inch OZtec + Kings lift, 265/65/r17 Bridgestone Duelers. Custom 2.5inch turbo back exhaust with 200cell highflow cat and 12inch straight through resonator.

Comment

• Amok
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

Had a lithium one in one of my bikes, was awesome. Sold the bike 12 months after I put it in.
        MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Amok View Post
          Had a lithium one in one of my bikes, was awesome. Sold the bike 12 months after I put it in.

My SSB lithium in the harley is at least 3 times stronger than the original and at 3 years of age is still going like a champion. Edit....just checked..battery is 4 years and 3 months old..
          Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Paul (SA)
            • Apr 2013
            • Australia

Thanks all. The fact they offer a straight up 36 month warranty does provide reassurance.

Cheers.

Comment

• twisted32
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Paul (SA) View Post
              Thanks all. The fact they offer a straight up 36 month warranty does provide reassurance.

Cheers.

Just a word of warning, they won't cover it if they can blame overcharging. They denied my claim on a 2 1/2 year old AGM (rated by them for under bonnet use, that is why I bought it), as it swelled and failed.

Most likely would not have been an issue in the back, but I was dissapointed that they rated it for under bonnet use, and then wouldn't honor it.

Replacement is a North Star, expensive, but is supposed to be a tougher battery.... Hoping so....
              MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Pauno
                • Dec 2012
                • Newcastle

I bought a deep cycle from them recently, happy so far and delivered in 2 days. Just keep in mind you need to change the wiring if using a redarc charger as I went from a lead acid to a calcium type battery.

I am not sure the AGM has a 3yr warranty if used underbonnet, from memory just 1yr. For use in say a caravan then 3yrs yes. I can’t find where I read it but that’s what swayed me for a normal deep cycle. I guess the post above about the warranty claim being refused confirms that this is somewhere in the t & c’s.
                NW Exceed

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Pauno View Post
                  I bought a deep cycle from them recently, happy so far and delivered in 2 days. Just keep in mind you need to change the wiring if using a redarc charger as I went from a lead acid to a calcium type battery.

I am not sure the AGM has a 3yr warranty if used underbonnet, from memory just 1yr. For use in say a caravan then 3yrs yes. I can’t find where I read it but that’s what swayed me for a normal deep cycle. I guess the post above about the warranty claim being refused confirms that this is somewhere in the t & c’s.

42 MONTHS for the SSB stop/start agm that is used under the bonnet. That,s why mine was happily replaced after 18 months..no questions asked.
                  Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Amok
                    • Dec 2016
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                    My SSB lithium in the harley is at least 3 times stronger than the original and at 3 years of age is still going like a champion. Edit....just checked..battery is 4 years and 3 months old..
                    That's very good for a lithium battery. They're known to have short shelf lives.
                    MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X