• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveH
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • sydney

Tyredog TPMS replacement

One of my tyredog TPMS sensors appears to have broken. On eBay I can buy a whole new TPMS with 4 sensors for half the cost of a tyredog replacement sensor. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheapies like this one?

2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits
  • jimako
    • Jul 2007
    • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
    One of my tyredog TPMS sensors appears to have broken. On eBay I can buy a whole new TPMS with 4 sensors for half the cost of a tyredog replacement sensor. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheapies like this one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Po...YAAOSwRFNc0tBj
    I also have the tyredog, I think it is way overpriced, next time ill definitely go a cheapie of ebay.
    Sorry i cant be of any help to your question.
    2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

I recent fitted a TPMS from DigOptions at the recommendation of Njswb.
      Great unit at a very reasonable price;
      Get the latest deals of TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Internal Sensors on www.digoptiions.com for your car, 4x4, caravan, trucks, trailers, vans, etc

Dig Options have a large selection of TPMS available.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• benckj
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2017
        • Alexandra , New Zealand

I've used a couple different types and the Tyredog is the only one which provided reliable information. Some of the cheap versions don't seal well on tyre valve and leads to excessive leakage. Other ones that connect to Android devices have software issues and cause all sorts of conflicts. Don't get me wrong, for the price of a cheapy one it may work for your requirements but as always 'Buyer Beware'.

Rather than eBay I'd jump onto Aliexpress and look through the dozens of models they have on offer for much less $$. Can even buy a replacement Tyredog sensor.

Comment

• DrewW
          • Nov 2011
          • Gold Coast

I bought one of these in Mar 2018 for myself and was so impressed bought another for my son. We both still reckon they are fantastic. My 6 sensor Tyredog system I bought for $495 in 2011 only has 2 sensors still working. No way would I spend big dollars on a tpms again.
          NS SWB 3.2 DiD Auto. 2" lift, King springs, Bilstein shocks, Bushkinz bash plates, Airtek snorkel, BRC breathers,TJM Bullbar, 12000lb Grande Winch,Tyredog TPMS,Nomad valve body & TC lockup kit

Comment

• Wazza999
            • Jun 2018
            • Canberra

Another vote for the Digoptions Masten tpms, $289 for 6 external incl booster. Have worked flawlessly on our current trip on the Oodnadatta Track, Lake Eyre PARs and the Centre. I have read they are the same as the Safety Dave system. Internal version is also available. LH rear sensor has been battered by rocks but is still working fine. Pressures match +/- 1 or 2 psi to tyre gauge values.

Comment

• Widgeeman
              • Jul 2012
              • Widgee Qld

Masten TPMS

Hi there Old Jack
              I have been looking at the TPMS you purchased as a possible replacement for my Inawise unit, for which sensors are unavailable in Australia. Can you tell me if it has dual pressure ranges, ie on-road and off-road settings. Is there a manual available anywhere - I can't find one? How awkward is it to set up, especially when rotating tyres?
              Regards
              Graham
              - - - - - -
              2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Widgeeman View Post
                Hi there Old Jack
                I have been looking at the TPMS you purchased as a possible replacement for my Inawise unit, for which sensors are unavailable in Australia. Can you tell me if it has dual pressure ranges, ie on-road and off-road settings. Is there a manual available anywhere - I can't find one? How awkward is it to set up, especially when rotating tyres?
                Regards
                I have the same unit. It has dual pressure ranges, which the manual classifies as light load / heavy load, but you can set whatever pressure into either range, so I have mine set as highway pressure / offroad pressure. Changing between them is a single push of a button.

Each range has separate pressures for front tyres and rear tyres, but they don't always adjust in single PSI increments. Once you have set the pressures, the monitor will alarm for pressure variation (up or down) of more than 25%, or a rapid change in pressure. When I'm offroad at low pressures, the +/- 25% window can be a bit small i.e. when starting at 16 psi it's easy to set off the alarm at 20 psi. So I occasionally have to adjust the set pressure on the fly, which is not difficult to do.

Rotating tyres is relatively simple, although it will only let you "swap" a pair of tyres - so you need to be careful to keep track of which tyre has been "swapped" to where. Other than that, I find it's a relatively simple process.

For the price, it only needs to save one tyre to pay for the entire system. I also like that it displays pressure and temperature at the same time - with my previous system, I had to push a button to check temperatures.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

NJswb put me on to the DigOptions in tyre TPMS and at just over $200 for 5 sensors and all the features it is an absolute bargain!
                  It only has to save a half worn tyre when you are traveling outside the city and it has paid for itself.
                  If it prevents you from having an accident then it is the best $200 you will ever spend!

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Widgeeman
                    • Jul 2012
                    • Widgee Qld

Thanks to both njswb and old Jack for the info. After reading other posts and looking at AliExpress I toyed with the idea of one of their cheap as chips solar systems. But for the sake of a few dollars and the security and convenience of an Aussie distributor, I'll go with this also.

Just need to get my head around tossing out a perfectly good $400 Inawise system for the sake of no sensors available.

Regards
                    Graham
                    - - - - - -
                    2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

Just need to get my head around tossing out a perfectly good $400 Inawise system for the sake of no sensors available.
                      Been there, done that.

Twice.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Scouter1
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2013
                        • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        Been there, done that.
                        +1 - I hate throwing away perfectly working kit but can't see any other options when I replace my tyres sometime in the next year. Inawise seemed like a good TPMS set up but clearly they weren't doing a good job marketing / selling...
                        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
                          Inawise seemed like a good TPMS set up but clearly they weren't doing a good job marketing / selling...
                          I think the problem was unreliable sensors that became too hard to support. With my second Inawise, when I had premature failure of a sensor, I managed to find the Chinese manufacturer, who offered to send me a replacement sensor free of charge if I sent them my UPS account number.

I replied that I didn't have a UPS account number, and I was happy to pay for a replacement sensor, but I never heard from them again.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Wazza999
                            • Jun 2018
                            • Canberra

Hi there Old Jack
                            Regards
                            The Digoptions Masten system of 6 external sensors ($289) I have only has a single set of settings, but each sensor is individually numbered and these come preset for each position so rotating tyres isn't a problem. Sensors are set and addressed by the controller individually and can be reprogrammed. A set of replacement labels is provided as well as a reasonably comprehensible manual. The display /controller however looks different to OJs, I purchased mine around February 2019 I think.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

So everybody seems happy with the Digi option? Interesting most ppl go for the external. If I need to get a full set of new tyres anyway, is there any reason why I shouldn’t get the internal ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X