• Show
Clear All
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

Australian Taxation System Explained

Came across this the other day...

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100...
    If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:
    The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay $1, The sixth would pay $3, The seventh would pay $7, The eighth would pay $12, The ninth would pay $18, The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.
    So, that's what they decided to do!!
    The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20". Drinks for the ten men would now cost just $80.
    Being good mates and Australians they still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. Now what about the other six men? They were after all the paying customers. How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share? They realised that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.
    So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each Man's bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the Principle of the Australian Tax System they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.
    And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% Saving). The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% saving), The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% saving), The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% saving), The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% saving), The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% saving). The six are better off than before and the first four continued to drink for free.
    But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20 saving," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man and said "but he got $10!"
    "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!" "That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back, when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!""Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all.This new tax system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill! So! Boys and Girls, journalists and government ministers, is how the Australian Taxation system. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction.Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up any more. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the tax atmosphere is somewhat friendlier! Unknown
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Let the rich bastards drink over seas...they can have all the warm piss the poms have and can drink as much Millers as they want. They can even go to NZ and drink Lion Red with the cuzy bro,s.......

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Whether you agree or not, I don't think this forum should be divided along political lines, or any other divisive issue.

I come in here to get away from that stuff.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• skins2380
        • Jun 2015
        • ACT

Australian Taxation System Explained

No wonder I don't understand the tax system, I need a beer after that. LOL

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
          Whether you agree or not, I don't think this forum should be divided along political lines, or any other divisive issue.

I come in here to get away from that stuff.

Its meant as a joke Ian...Like every other thing posted on forums/social media/chatrooms etc.etc.....No one forces you to read or reply. I also don't want political crap but this was only a light hearted joke about a tax system that is truly bewildering to most. I think this forum is outstanding in its content and thread content.

Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

I wasn't having a shot at you mate, hope you didn't take it that way.

It was just a general comment about the type of topic.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

All good Ian...
              Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Sydney

Guess it was a shot at me. It wasn’t intended as a political post just a general comment per say however in hindsight my timing was perhaps a bit misplaced. I probably could have removed the original author’s editorial towards the end too.
                NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X